forty civilisations were announced

Manifold

ModderProtectionAdvocate
The interview with Ed is here;)
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/the-successes-and-failures-of-civ-vi.619918/

I would say, in three years has won who got the most right:trophy:

Here is my bet on the 40 occurring Civs:
1-23 (America, Arabia, Australia, Aztec, Brazil, China, Egypt, England, France, German, Greek, India, Japan, Kongo, Macedon, Vikings, Persia, Poland, Roman, Russia, Scythia, Spain, Sumer)

24. Srivijaya/Majapahit/Indonesia
25. Mongols
26. Korea
27. Babylon
28. Mali
29. Zulu
30. Inca
31. Maya
32. Canada
33. Mississippia
34. Celts
35. Italy
36. Ottomans
37. Portugal
38. Netherlands
39. Sweden
40. Minoans

41.-50. [In a later post]

EDIT:
This sounds like an interesting game, focusing on civs that we think will be in the game instead of those that we hope/wish will be in it (and I may later edit my post to include a list).

The chance is still open for everyone to give his bet on Ed´s 40 Civs.

We are now betting on the next 6 missing Civs with 18 chances.

Yes, editing is a good idea but this must be done in a new post for tracking the chance.
Only one Civ can only be exchanged once a month.
When the horse has finished, you can not place the bet.
If a new Civ is official announced and someone did not have it in his list, he can not change his list so that he then have the missed Civ!!! Actually self-evident;)
Everyone can have only one valid bet at the same time!

:trophy:THE ACTUAL RANKING::trophy:
After the news of 11 new Civ they are Nubia, Khmer, Indonesia, Korea, Netherlands, Mongolia, Cree, Georgia, Scotland, Mapuche and Zulu. We still need 6 more Civs.

Duckfromstatefarm
:egypt: with 7 points / 10 odds
Vahnstad :queen: with 7 points / 10 odds
Katakanja :king:with 7 points / 10 odds

Manifold with 7 points / 11 odds

Guatenadian with 6 points / 8 odds

durfal with 6 points / 10 odds
Roman Citizen with 6 points / 10 odds
sonicmyst with 6 points / 10 odds
Arianrhod with 6 points / 10 odds
Wingednosering with 6 points / 10 odds

magha77 with 6 points / 11 odds
luigilime with 6 points / 11 odds
Xandinho with 6 points / 11 odds
Kimiimaro with 6 points / 11 odds

Inlex with 5 points / 8 odds
Guandao with 5 points / 8 odds (no 53 was too late sorry:cry:)

Kheznik with 4 points / 7 odds

Cossackaiser with 4 points (+Blackfoot?) / 8 odds (still incomplete bet), Machupe counts I guess:bounce:
OzzyKP with 4 points / 8 odds
Alexander's Hetaroi with 4 points / 8 odds
DWilson with 4 points / 8 odds
Hawke9 with 4 points / 8 odds
PhilBowles with 4 points / 8 odds (still incomplete bet)
Ferocitus with 4 points / with 10 odds

ferretbacon with 3 points / 3 odds

Uberfrog with 2 points / 2 odds

Phoenix1595 with 2 points / 4 odds
Zatsukino with 2 points / 4 odds

Havendish with 1 point / 3 odds
oski90 with 1 point / 4 odds (your points will come for sure;))

Thanks to all 30 competitors:)

The race is still open also for late starter! I am planing a third ranking which rewards late starter.

Which are the other 6 coming Civs? (you have 18 chances)

Last edited:
This sounds like an interesting game, focusing on civs that we think will be in the game instead of those that we hope/wish will be in it (and I may later edit my post to include a list). Assuming you're basing this on the recent Ed Beach interview, though, I don't think think "40 civilizations were announced" is the right interpretation. The only mention of "40 civs I could find is:

“Every time you’re designing a civ, you’re taking [Civilization V’s or VI’s] simple systems and you’re saying ‘well, in order to capture the essence of either this personality or this empire we’re going to have to take all those game rules, and we’re going to have twist them, and distort them, and change them in unique ways’, four or five times, for each of the forty civilisations we have in that game […]

The paraphrasing (as indicated by brackets) makes it a bit difficult to interpret, but it sounds to me like he meant 40 civs as the rough number of civs in Civ V. I doubt the developers have even chosen a final number of civs yet, and given the slightly faster pace for Civ VI (and V's increase over IV), I wouldn't be at all surprised to ultimately see 50 or more civs by the time all the expansions and DLC are released.

Last edited:
Mississippia and Minoans are highly unlikely.

For those playing at home here is every civilization that has appeared in order of how many times they have appeared

Spoiler :

1. America (6)
  2. Aztec
  3. China
  4. Egypt
  5. England
  6. France
  7. Germany
  8. Greece
  9. India
  10. Japan
  11. Rome
  12. Russia
  13. Babylon (5)
  14. Mongolia
  15. Persia
  16. The Zulu
  17. Arabia (4)
  18. Celts
  19. Carthage
  20. Spain
  21. Byzantium (3)
  22. Inca
  23. Korea
  24. The Maya
  25. Netherlands (Dutch)
  26. Ottomans
  27. Portugal
  28. Sumeria
  29. The Vikings (2)
  30. Brazil
  31. Ethiopia
  32. Iroquois
  33. Poland
  34. Assyria (1)
  35. Australia
  36. Austria
  37. Denmark
  38. Hittite
  39. Holy Roman Empire
  40. Huns
  41. Indonesia
  42. Khmer
  43. Kongo
  44. Macedonia
  45. Mali
  46. Morocco
  47. Native Americans
  48. Norway
  49. Polynesia
  50. Scythia
  51. Shoshone
  52. Siam
  53. Songhai
  54. Sioux
  55. Sweden
  56. Venice

I had to but this list together for an article I was writing, so I'm glad I can use it for other things, it took a long time to collate

Last edited:
For those playing at home here is every civilization that has appeared in order of how many times they have appeared

Spoiler :

1. America (6)
  2. Aztec
  3. China
  4. Egypt
  5. England
  6. France
  7. Germany
  8. Greece
  9. India
  10. Japan
  11. Rome
  12. Russia
  13. Babylon (5)
  14. Celts
  15. Mongolia
  16. Persia
  17. The Zulu
  18. Arabia (4)
  19. Carthage
  20. Spain
  21. Byzantium (3)
  22. Inca
  23. Korea
  24. The Maya
  25. Netherlands (Dutch)
  26. Ottomans
  27. Portugal
  28. Sumeria
  29. The Vikings
  30. Assyria (2)
  31. Brazil
  32. Ethiopia
  33. Iroquois
  34. Poland
  35. Australia (1)
  36. Austria
  37. Denmark
  38. Hittite
  39. Holy Roman Empire
  40. Huns
  41. Indonesia
  42. Khmer
  43. Kongo
  44. Macedonia
  45. Mali
  46. Morocco
  47. Native Americans
  48. Norway
  49. Polynesia
  50. Scythia
  51. Shoshone
  52. Siam
  53. Songhai
  54. Sioux
  55. Sweden
  56. Venice

I had to but this list together for an article I was writing, so I'm glad I can use it for other things, it took a long time to collate

There is also a comprehensive list of civs and leaders on the Civilization series Wikipedia page.

That list isn't correct.
- Japan + Spain weren't in civ 1
- The Celts were not in civ 1 + civ 6?
- Assyria was only in civ 5
- Sitting Bull was the leader in civ 2 + civ 4, so Native Americans and Sioux are basically the same.

Yeah I don't think we even know the name of any Mississippian leaders.Same reason say the Anasazi are unlikely to be in the game, there is no 'face' to represent as a leader.

Yeah I don't think we even know the name of any Mississippian leaders.Same reason say the Anasazi are unlikely to be in the game, there is no 'face' to represent as a leader.

After the Mississippian culture collapsed, there were a few holdouts that de Soto encountered on his epic journey across what would become the southern US, which could lend their names. But that's super obscure and unlikely.

Spoiler :

1. America (6)
  2. Aztec
  3. China
  4. Egypt
  5. England
  6. France
  7. Germany
  8. Greece
  9. India
  10. Japan
  11. Rome
  12. Russia
  13. Babylon (5)
  14. Celts
  15. Mongolia
  16. Persia
  17. The Zulu
  18. Arabia (4)
  19. Carthage
  20. Spain
  21. Byzantium (3)
  22. Inca
  23. Korea
  24. The Maya
  25. Netherlands (Dutch)
  26. Ottomans
  27. Portugal
  28. Sumeria
  29. The Vikings
  30. Assyria (2)
  31. Brazil
  32. Ethiopia
  33. Iroquois
  34. Poland
  35. Australia (1)
  36. Austria
  37. Denmark
  38. Hittite
  39. Holy Roman Empire
  40. Huns
  41. Indonesia
  42. Khmer
  43. Kongo
  44. Macedonia
  45. Mali
  46. Morocco
  47. Native Americans
  48. Norway
  49. Polynesia
  50. Scythia
  51. Shoshone
  52. Siam
  53. Songhai
  54. Sioux
  55. Sweden
  56. Venice

Most of that list doesn't show numbers on it. I know many of those were more than one, what happened to all of the numbers?

Most of that list doesn't show numbers on it. I know many of those were more than one, what happened to all of the numbers?

it is in descending order

And Canada? I am getting scared.

Nice list, but I guess you should add up The Vikings/Denmark/Norway. this would make sense.

This sounds like an interesting game, focusing on civs that we think will be in the game instead of those that we hope/wish will be in it (and I may later edit my post to include a list). Assuming you're basing this on the recent Ed Beach interview, though, I don't think think "40 civilizations were announced" is the right interpretation. The only mention of "40 civs I could find is:

“Every time you’re designing a civ, you’re taking [Civilization V’s or VI’s] simple systems and you’re saying ‘well, in order to capture the essence of either this personality or this empire we’re going to have to take all those game rules, and we’re going to have twist them, and distort them, and change them in unique ways’, four or five times, for each of the forty civilisations we have in that game […]

The paraphrasing (as indicated by brackets) makes it a bit difficult to interpret, but it sounds to me like he meant 40 civs as the rough number of civs in Civ V. I doubt the developers have even chosen a final number of civs yet, and given the slightly faster pace for Civ VI (and V's increase over IV), I wouldn't be at all surprised to ultimately see 50 or more civs by the time all the expansions and DLC are released.

I am sure he speaks about Civ6.

From the context of the announcement he only speaks about part 6. Before your quote:

"So, for instance, if you look at Civ VI, with our Norwegian civ led by Harald Hardrada, they are the premier civ for being able to get out on the oceans, they can cross oceans earlier than anyone else, and they have fierce abilities to raid up and down the coastlines and land amphibious armies that no-one else has.”

And after your quote:

"We don’t want to make every single one of those a special case. If we can come up with patterns and then apply those patterns over and over again – that’s something that people will get used to and they’ll understand. So, for instance, we introduced Poland in one of our first DLCs..."

Also the bracketing means that it is a later insertion. It is very unlikely that he thinks about Civ5 and the number of Civs there when he speaks about his Civs from Civ6.

Maybe he had the brackets inserted later because he would like to keep the final number open.

BUT for me it is absolute clear that 40 Civs are already finished in his concept papers at the moment.

I was just asking what Civs he might have in his paper?

I am sure he speaks about Civ6.

From the context of the announcement he only speaks about part 6. Before your quote:

"So, for instance, if you look at Civ VI, with our Norwegian civ led by Harald Hardrada, they are the premier civ for being able to get out on the oceans, they can cross oceans earlier than anyone else, and they have fierce abilities to raid up and down the coastlines and land amphibious armies that no-one else has.”

And after your quote:

"We don’t want to make every single one of those a special case. If we can come up with patterns and then apply those patterns over and over again – that’s something that people will get used to and they’ll understand. So, for instance, we introduced Poland in one of our first DLCs..."

Also the bracketing means that it is a later insertion. It is very unlikely that he thinks about Civ5 and the number of Civs there when he speaks about his Civs from Civ6.

Maybe he had the brackets inserted later because he would like to keep the final number open.

BUT for me it is absolute clear that 40 Civs are already finished in his concept papers at the moment.

I was just asking what Civs he might have in his paper?

The interview is definitely primarily about VI, but the particular sentence with the 40 civs reference pretty clearly seems to be going back and looking at V. The specific line is "each of the forty civilizations we have in that game", with "that game" being Civ V, as opposed to Civ VI, the game that interview is primarily about. It also wouldn't make sense for him to say "the forty civilizations we have" (present tense) in reference to Civ VI, which, however many civs it will have, clearly doesn't have 40 now (and no, I don't think it would make sense to describe a mix of actual civs and tentatively planned civs as "civilizations we have").

There is also a comprehensive list of civs and leaders on the Civilization series Wikipedia page.

Actually, there isn't anymore :eek:

A cursory glance at the "talk" page for the civilization series article seems to suggest that the list fell victim to some kind of internal Wikipedia politicking :rolleyes:

That list isn't correct.
- Japan + Spain weren't in civ 1
- The Celts were not in civ 1 + civ 6?
- Assyria was only in civ 5
- Sitting Bull was the leader in civ 2 + civ 4, so Native Americans and Sioux are basically the same.

Sorry yes The Celts, and Assyria, got caught up in a copying error, have fixed.

Japan was in the SNES verion of Civ 1, Spain was in 2,3,4&5 so they are in the 4 category where they should be, with Native Americans and Sioux while their leader was the same, their unique and city lists don't match the Sioux so I have them separate

Nice list, but I guess you should add up The Vikings/Denmark/Norway. this would make sense.

Yes I have gone back and forth with this, same with Germany and the HRE, but as we have Norway and Denmark, so there isn't a clear line of succession I have kept them as separate entries

I do not believe we'll have 40 civilizations this time, my guess is we'll have something close to 50. And some of the names you've cited are very unlikely, like Mississippia and Minoans. Canada can make sense because of the marketing appeal. And I think we'll see at least three South American civs. Another point: the developers always mix returned civs with new names, so some civs can make debut, like Hungary, Vietnam, Ashanti...

I could make a list of 50 civs that I think will be included, but I'm lazy now. :D

I could make a list of 50 civs that I think will be included, but I'm lazy now. :D
It would surely be interesting to see something like that! (by the way, will there be a place for Bohemia? It was quite important middle European Civ and nobody modded it to the present day :()

Top Bottom