1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Forum members in the Civ 5 manual

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by beestar, Sep 19, 2010.

1. beestar

beestar subdeity

In the list of play testers I spotted Gyathaar, ainwood and TMIT. I'm sure there are a lot of others whose names I don't know.

So that's why you guys have been so quiet lately! :D

2. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

There are a tons more ;).
    Kael (FfH2), Valkrionn + Opera (Rise of Erebus modmod), Ekmek the leaderhead god, Aussie_lurker and Pfeffersack, who also do a lot of modding stuff, DanQ from the Polycast, Locutus, Dale and Solver from WePlayCiv, Jobe from Apolyton,...and probably even more known ones...you can probably ask the question in the other way round ;): Which of the mentioned testers are not in the community?

3. Saint Rising

Saint Rising Metal Monster

That's so awesome. This is why Firaxis is probably my favorite game company. I can't think of any other company that would thank people by their forum names. Most would go by real names, or just not thank them at all.

4. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

Huh, that's amazing... and it explains why they weren't posting/doing as much as before during the last couple of months. Makes a lot more sense now! :lol:

Cheers, LT.

5. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

The Frankenstein Test Group (repost of this: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=9614579#post9614579)

Spoiler :

Abyss
    ainwood
    AlazkanAssassin
    arcan
    bernie14
    Bob Thomas
    bobT
    C.Roland
    ChrisWithers
    claudelu
    colonelmustard
    dacole
    Dale
    DanQ
    danthrax
    Dominae
    ekmek
    freakmon
    GeneralMatt
    Gogf
    Grey Fox
    Gyathaar
    Hugin
    Impaler[WrG]
    jdog5000
    jmoskie
    jobe
    Kael
    karadoc
    KillerClowns
    Locutus
    loki1232
    Lord_Phan
    magnus333
    Meredith
    Ming
    monoha
    Nikis-Knight
    Nikolai
    Nolan
    notyoueither
    OgreBG
    Opera
    Peachrocks
    Pfeffersack
    Primax
    rah
    robin-uiowa
    Scott-DTA
    seZereth
    SirPartyMan
    snafusmith
    snoopy369
    Solver
    TheMeInTeam
    totallycres
    Valkrionn
    Velociryx
    vondrack
    WarningU2
    Wilboman
    xienwolf
    yin26
    Ztaesek

6. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Shortly marked the ones i know...who do i not know?

---------
    Ah, and now it makes sense that GeneralMatt has recently posted new Civ4 units :D.

7. Solver

Solver Civ4/5 beta tester

Hi guys ;)

8. Insanity_X

Insanity_X Warlord

I'd like to thank all of the testers for their contributions to the game, so that the game lives up to our vast expectations of it.

Thank you deeply Abyss, Ztaesek and every other tester between them. The game will be better thanks to your contributions.

May I also call you lucky bastards for getting to play the game early, even if you couldn't tell us about it? Though, the game probably had more bugs than a beehive at that point, so perhaps it's not something to envy.

9. PieceOfMind

:wavey:

10. Churchdown Yank

Churchdown Yank Cyber Caesar

When can these guys talk about their experience and the game?

After release? or does the NDA keep them from ever discussing it?

11. Solver

You'll see the same situation as with Civ4 and its testers. While testers are of course free to discuss the game along with everyone else, details about its development process, early versions and such remain secret. The general rule of thumb is this - if the information isn't publicly available, testers won't talk about it.

12. TheMystic

TheMystic Warlord

First rule of fight club is... :)

Also, the list from the manual isn't complete, you guys should see some more names pop up that you may or may not recognize sometime soon. That list is months old.

13. Churchdown Yank

How about if the information seems to be publicly available but is not understandable to most of us. :confused:

To wit: Tile yields - particularly with regard to improvements and bonus resources.

How do bonus resources actually work in terms of quantitative benefit? An example would be particularly helpful.

14. PieceOfMind

Yeah, I thought there were at least a few names missing.
    As is a lot of the other data in the manual. :rolleyes:

Oh, and Solver, shouldn't you change your title now? It still says Civ4 beta tester. :p

15. TheMystic

TheMystic Warlord

I can try to answer based off my media build plays, but I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. Each luxury resource only provides a quantity of 1, but each strategic resource contains quantities of varying amounts. I've seen strategic resource tiles as low as 2, and as many as 6 available resources.

Luxury resources do stack, so if you have two pearls for example you will have two available to trade or gain happiness from.

16. Churchdown Yank

Thanks for any additional info - anything you guys want to chip in will make good reading - but my question was about "bonus" resources (i.e. not luxury or strategic).

Say Wheat on a normal plains tile:

Normal plains tile: 1F, 1H, 0G (pg. 30)
    Normal plains tile (improved w/farm): 2F, 1H, 0G (+1F for farm)

Normal plains tile w/wheat (unimproved): 2F, 1H, 0G (or might be 1F, 1H, 0G? - no extra yield at all until farm is built?)
    Normal plains tile w/wheat (improved w/farm): 3F, 1H, 1G (pg. 88) (+1F/+1G for farm, +1F for bonus resource of wheat)

And is it for this tile and the city that works it only? or nearby cities? or empire wide?

There's a thread here which discusses our problems with the info, including the manual, which we've seen so far.

17. Solver

A good approach with regards to legal agreements and the like is, err on the side of caution. For this reason I - and most others testers - haven't discussed the game much publicly, it's simply hard to keep track of what information is available and what isn't. And sometimes revealed info is wrong, journalists make a lot of mistakes. E.g., some of the early Civ5 previews referred to the Roman leader as "Caesar" and most of the community then assumed it's Julius Caesar, as usually in Civ, while in fact the Roman leader is Augustus.

Fair enough... hey, I'm lazy as can be, could go for years without noticing anything :p

18. TheMystic

TheMystic Warlord

As far as I recall (media build went offline on 9/13) the tile bonus is only for the city working it. It's just like anything else, if you don't have a worker on it you do not get the extra improvement benefits.

19. Insanity_X

Insanity_X Warlord

What about bonus resources like Wheat, Cows and the like. They can't be traded, is there any benefit to having them, apart from the food increase I mean?

20. TheMystic

TheMystic Warlord

From what I recall they're really there just to make the local plots more appealing for city growth. You've got the same thing with the world wonders and oasis tiles. They exist to give you a little more incentive to settle in those areas.