1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Forum members in the Civ 5 manual

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by beestar, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Solver

Solver Civ4/5 beta tester

It's same as Civ4 really, bonus resources are just bonuses for the output of a specific tile.

2. playshogi

playshogi Emperor

Yes, but somebody pointed out that it is better to build a farm on a cow, because ultimately, you'll get +2 food with tech. Whereas, the cow is limited to +1 food always.
    So, is it +1 food for the cow without pasture and +2 with it?

3. Churchdown Yank

Churchdown Yank Cyber Caesar

I suppose we'll all find out about tile yields soon enough, but the mechanics of the food "bonus" ones have us all a bit stumped - even after the release of the game manual, which seems a little goofy. I should probably just forget about it and go mow the lawn or something until next Friday. :)

How about this for you guys then: What would you like to say about the game and the experience of testing it? What do you like best about Civ V?

4. TheMystic

TheMystic Warlord

I don't think you'll get any responses to those questions, but I can tell you that media associates were given access to the preview build in early August. Unlike some previews / reviews that are based around limited time with the product, editors had plenty of time to play Civ V before writing about it. :)

Regarding food resource tiles, farms over pastures, etc. If there is an oddity somewhere, it's something that can always be tweaked. Just make sure to pool your feedback together, the devs do read the forums.

5. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

:wavey: hi there.

I just hope that the bigger occurence of all the testers in the forums means, that there's no hard testing going on now.

6. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

lol

I know you've been beta testing Civ games for awhile, but how do you resist the urge not to at least post and taunt people? :p

Yeah, I still remember Sulla getting into a lot of trouble related to that. It was cool, though. Perhaps the most interesting insight I've ever seen in the game development process.

7. TheMystic

TheMystic Warlord

I loved Sulla's write-ups, they were fantastic.

8. cembandit

cembandit Warlord

I hope they got some of us less gifted casual gamers testing as well. I don't want the game easy, just more organic, accessible, and streamlined.

Posted from a magical and revolutionary device.

9. Solver

cembandit, sure, there are different groups of testers. The game is tested with casual players, with people who have never played a Civ game before, etc. This is typical for game development, you also invite some people who are unfamiliar with the subject matter. The Frankenstein group specifically though, as those familiar with the community can see, mostly consists of very experienced hardcore players, specifically to get that type of feedback.

10. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

I doubt any tile gives empire-wide food for a couple of reasons.

For one, they seem to be limiting early tile yield to make you focus and make decisions - you want growth? You will need to build farms/whatever and work tiles. You can't just hit the lottery with a monster single food tile that lets you then either grow like mad or work a bunch of production tiles with ease. You want production? You'll need to work for it. It's more of a decision than a jackpot scenario.

Then there's the maritime city states that do give empire-wide food. Making it easy to get the same benefit many times over with global food tiles would make these pretty much pointless and useless.

There are +food perk buildings (granary, watermill) and some SPs that modify food that would have less impact with lots of easy ways to get global food.

So, IMO, I think we need the 'pedia to know what's up with some of the tiles and improvements. Both the game guide and manual are out-of-date and lacking in some areas, which I think is extra pitiful with the manual seeing as how it's digital, they're not printing, and it SHOULD be up-to-date at release. Maybe we got an early version and the release version is more up-to-date.

11. Gre_Magus

Gre_Magus Manet

Solver - welcome back! I noticed your absence on the forums and figured you were beta testing.

12. cembandit

cembandit Warlord

Good to know solver, thanks.

Want to point out that my earlier post used catch phrases as humor and not sarcasm, I'm looking forward to Tuesday, as I sit here in bed on a rainy day in Iowa browsing on the pad.

13. Solver

Thanks, Gre Magus! It wasn't just the testing though, I've also, surprisingly, had other stuff going on ;)

14. Dale

Dale Deity

Don't forget some of those people in the Franky group are very experienced hardcore modders. It's not just limited to gamers. ;)

15. Solver

Experienced hardcore modders are a subset of experienced hardcore gamers, with even less of a life :p

16. Semmel

Semmel Large Sid Meiers Collider

So we can expect strategy guides from you, testers on release day because you already know all the details of the game? *g* before we even can play the game, you outsmarted us ;-)

17. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

As far as I'm aware, we really aren't supposed to.

Right, what Solver said. :lol:

It is also supposed to be updated with names we all provided. :p

Should not be discussing it, honestly. It's only 2 more days though, the wait won't kill anyone. :p

Right. Up until the past few days, I've avoided absolutely any discussion of Civ5. :lol:

Can't really answer... Just know that this is the first civ game that has held my attention for more than a few games. Hell, I haven't even started modding as I've been too busy playing!

Hard testing as in, what Elemental's release must have been like? Not in your life.

..........You have no idea how difficult it is to resist that urge. :lol:

There were also a large group of modders.

:goodjob:

Quiet, you. :lol:

18. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

Why would we make those available? You should be free to learn to play the game, not try to match our strategies.

19. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Well, clearly I opened the floodgates. Since just knowing that there are people here that know is agonizing. :p

But I'll agree with this sentiment:

20. ahmedhadzi

ahmedhadzi Relocation Consultant

What I would like to know, more than anything else is how much feedback was adopted by Firaxis from the Frankenstein group. I don't need to know any particular details:D!

Because if they did listen to these guys, I have no doubt that we are about to witness best civ game so far (and I did have my share of doubts about this installment).

Also encouraging, is number of modders involved, which tells me we should get some pretty good community stuff.