Forum Members' Photographs 25: Instagram Is Overrated

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a really interesting article on the political economy and sociology of the internet, that also touches on the phenomenon of vaporwave:
https://thebaffler.com/salvos/404-page-not-found-wagner

(it's not a broken link, the title of the article is actually 404 Not Found)

This is a really interesting article on the political economy and sociology of the internet, that also touches on the phenomenon of vaporwave:
https://thebaffler.com/salvos/404-page-not-found-wagner

(it's not a broken link, the title of the article is actually 404 Not Found)

Λολ. I recall a friend who had a personal page in the late 90s. It looked like the first image in that article :D (only with less shading and more cyberpunk colours)

Yes, I also like Simon and Garfunkel music
Same here. It's odd how a couple of their songs can inspire me as I'm writing a medieval-era fanfic based on the computer game Kingmaker: Rise to the Throne. But I'm taking the main characters into much darker places mentally and emotionally than they were in the actual game (not that the game events were a picnic), and this music helps me get inside these characters' heads.

To balance these dark moments in the story, I'm also taking inspiration from Enya and Will Millar.

Where do you share most of your work Valka?

Not that Another World was a typical game. It was groundbreaking in many ways.
I feel dumb. I was mis-reading 'vaporwave' as 'vaporware' for the last couple of posts :blush:

Which confused me, since AW certainly is not vaporware.

(It is also available on GOG, if anyone's interested)

Where do you share most of your work Valka?
Right now, basically nowhere, if you mean finished stories ready for other people to read. My Kingmaker story is still in first draft and will continue like that for quite some time (there's a lot I want to write about it that goes far beyond the scope of the game itself, as I want to explore the characters' lives before, during, and after the game events - and I've got two different versions I'm working on, one of which significantly alters the in-game events so most of it doesn't turn out like in the game; this is what happens when you decide to kill off the pov character who originally survived and see what happens to the others when he's not there).

There are several writing threads in the Arts & Entertainment forum:

Watcha Writin'?
Camp NaNoWriMo (April 2019)

These are where I discuss my stories (and other folks discuss their own stories). Feel free to drop by and join the conversation, ask questions, and if you like to write, go ahead and post something. :)

I do have a few scenes I'm almost satisfied with, but they're a very small part of a very large project. I got addicted to this game last August, and haven't been able to stop thinking about it since. As the developers aren't likely to answer the questions I had about the characters, I have to do it myself (with the help and encouragement of some other folks I've talked with about this; I never know when someone's question or comment will spark an idea and take the story in a new direction or lead to expanding the cast of characters).

Thank you for the invitation, I will surely drop by, do consider releasing your work, it is the destiny of the work to be known and appreciate by other.

Why I never heard about the game? I google as soon as I open my laptop, I wonder what kind of game it is if it can hook you this much :lol:

I feel dumb. I was mis-reading 'vaporwave' as 'vaporware' for the last couple of posts

I did this, too. I didn't catch it until post 203. I was perhaps distracted by Kyriakos posting a picture with such an unusual (for him) background.

Thank you for the invitation, I will surely drop by, do consider releasing your work, it is the destiny of the work to be known and appreciate by other.

Why I never heard about the game? I google as soon as I open my laptop, I wonder what kind of game it is if it can hook you this much :lol:
It's on several game sites, but I belong to Big Fish Games, and got addicted to Hidden Object games many years ago (my first one was a game adaptation of The Count of Monte Cristo - which I enjoyed so much that I tracked down an unabridged copy of the novel).

Over the years, so many of the hidden object games in the fantasy genre became about female protagonists, using such a narrow pool of voice actors that they just got to be the same old-same old and very predictable. This game has male protagonists, the primary villain is female, and I'd never heard any of the voice actors before. So that in itself was enough to sit up and take notice.

And then I played the demo game... and instantly wanted MORE. Just more of everything - I wanted to know about all the characters, including the ones who only show up briefly, and even the villains (any good villain has his/her point of view and never think of themselves as evil). I wanted to explore what happened before the game began, the "in between" scenes we didn't get to see between the times when the characters left one location and showed up in another, and of course what happened after the ending. After all, Griffinvale ended up with a king who didn't know he was the true heir until earlier that day and was never trained for kingship, what's going to happen next? In the opening narration he's referred to as "The last great king of Griffinvale" so I wondered what he does to merit being called "great" and why is he the last of them?

Inquiring minds want to know, so that's when I decided I needed to write this. I have a couple of notebooks' full of notes, and started writing November 1, for the main NaNoWriMo event last year (more about that in A&E) and haven't missed a day since.

Anyway, this is the game that inspired all this writing: Kingmaker: Rise to the Throne

I do intend to post it some day, when it's finished to my satisfaction. It's a very long project, and I want to do it justice. Someone on another forum has also asked to see it, so I'm in the midst of tweaking a scene I am satisfied with and would be willing to share (it's pre-game material that takes place years before the opening scenes of the game; since the two main protagonists are 30 years old, that leaves a lot of their lives unexplored and I've been taking advantage of that).

I won't post a photo of my writing setup, so you'll just have to imagine me sitting at a table with my laptop, an ever-present can of something carbonated at hand (diet variety), some sort of munchies (occasionally nutritious), with Maddy close by either snoozing or demanding attention. Sometimes I've got music in the background, as I'm imagining some of the scenes in the story being accompanied by Celtic music of the Enya sort, sometimes by the music Will Millar wrote in his post-Irish Rovers career. And sometimes Simon and Garfunkel is running through my mind when the scenes turn a bit dark, mood-wise, since I'm putting my version of the characters through some things only hinted at or briefly mentioned in the game.

I've played that same game, it really is amazing, just regrettably short.
Agreed. It really needed a couple more chapters, as the ending was rather abrupt. But you played the standard version, which doesn't include the "Act of Deceit" chapter that follows the conclusion (I guesstimate that maybe a week or week and a half pass between the coronation and the dungeon escape, since the main game is stated to take place in "Autumn, 1039"; the fall foliage and weather are clearly what a typical early September is like and the escape specifically happens on September 22, 1039).

I still intend to post the walkthrough in A&E that someone thoughtfully posted on YT; ignore the game movements and it's like watching the story itself. What I'm doing is a prose version of the game (changing a few things to make it flow better) and adding a lot of original material that expands the story, explains the "waitaminute, that doesn't quite make sense" issues, and gets inside the characters' heads to explore their reasoning for why they took the actions they did.

BTW, the alternate version I got sidetracked with for Camp NaNoWriMo puts a great deal more emphasis on Duke William and his life when he's not in Griffinvale. ;)

Moderator Action: I'd just like to remind everyone that this is a pictures thread. Thank you.

Aren't you assuming perhaps too much? There is more than meets the eye to anyone :/
He's referencing the fact that her avatar is a picture of her eye.

This is how my pupper likes to cuddle:
Spoiler :
picture.jpg

He's referencing the fact that her avatar is a picture of her eye.

This is how my pupper likes to cuddle:

I know what he was alluding to :) I just tried to divert attention so as to not make a one-liner go on and being about a specific poster more ^_^
Anyway, it was meant as a joke. I am sure anyone who wants to post pics will and doesn't need my encouragement.

I have a big video presentation for work in thirty minutes ... full makeup today. Having a little trouble keeping my hair under control though :gripe:

Simply wow ! You are looking better and better (how do You manage that I wonder :D) ! Of all of Your pictures here I think You look best on this one ;) Oh btw. don't worry about the hair because having them like that adds some "being natural" accent to that full make-up of Yours ;) I think it works very well !

edit 2. Now Your "ultra blue" contacts paying off as well. ;)

edit 3. :lol: (just to avoid making double post) :

Stay tuned to the horror channel. There is nothing else on.

I think that You have lost weight (comparing to Your avatar pic I remember seeing in full glory long time ago :D Running away from another world's beasts serves Your figure wonders I see ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom