Forum Metric Polls

Will be nice to add one more question. What victory type is the most common for example, or something like this. Cause in my games, always me or AI win a culture victory....

I feel I have to clarify on the war question:

I enjoy war during the classical and medieval eras. Beyond that point it usually devolves into 2 categories:
1. Crush or be crushed by massive tech advantage.
2. Massive unit spam by the AI.

Personally I prefer my conflicts to be settled by small tactical engagements and winning by strategy. But usually civ wars get turn into boring contests of quality or quantity.

The AI is finally a formidable opponent in combat. Not only are the AI tactics much better but their timing and diplomatic scheming is superb. I've had to drop difficulty levels over the past few months to keep up. So yeah, I might not start most wars but the conquest game is really great

The AI is finally a formidable opponent in combat. Not only are the AI tactics much better but their timing and diplomatic scheming is superb. I've had to drop difficulty levels over the past few months to keep up. So yeah, I might not start most wars but the conquest game is really great
Personally I've only barely noticed the AI's combat ability. Usually Ai victory has more to do with swarm tactics then anything else. That said I won't deny the AI is more skilled at positioning, but usually offense just turns into stockpiling units until it can overrun me via numbers.

Personally I've only barely noticed the AI's combat ability. Usually Ai victory has more to do with swarm tactics then anything else. That said I won't deny the AI is more skilled at positioning, but usually offense just turns into stockpiling units until it can overrun me via numbers.
Did you even play vanilla civ? The tactical AI is miles better than it was. Not as good as a decent human player, but certainly competent enough to beat someone in a bad position, which can't be said of many strategy games.

Did you even play vanilla civ? The tactical AI is miles better than it was. Not as good as a decent human player, but certainly competent enough to beat someone in a bad position, which can't be said of many strategy games.
I'm not doubting its far and away better. Hell the AI knows how to cross the ocean and not die upon landing that's a HUGE improvement. Also the ability to actually keep ranged units beyond standard melee range is something difficult to teach to and AI I have no doubt.

However as to actual game play I don't notice that in play. All I really get to see is the AI going "group up and hit it till it dies!" which I'm hesitant to praise and clever tactics.

All I really get to see is the AI going "group up and hit it till it dies!" which I'm hesitant to praise and clever tactics.
That strategy works pretty well for me :D
I'd actually prefer a little more consistency over the constant movement and backstabbing they try for. In my opinion, the AI got too many advanced strategies added without enough refinement. Though I suppose the best way to refine things is to push them out for testing.

That strategy works pretty well for me :D
I'd actually prefer a little more consistency over the constant movement and backstabbing they try for. In my opinion, the AI got too many advanced strategies added, without enough refinement. Though I suppose the best way to refine things is to push them out for testing.
Frankly I think it's got more to do with how Civ was designed more around city management then direct warfare. I feel armed conflict is designed as an afterthought, not sure even modding can keep it interesting.

Frankly I think it's got more to do with how Civ was designed more around city management then direct warfare. I feel armed conflict is designed as an afterthought, not sure even modding can keep it interesting.
Really now? Sounds like you just don't like the design. Everything ties into war. Gold, science, culture, faith, tourism, diplomacy. All of it can be controlled through warfare. VP is constantly improving these aspects, and the AI is still getting better at handling it.
Sure, the base game did a crap job of it, but I don't see how you think it's hopeless with such a massive improvement right here, available for anyone to contribute to. The fact that we're all still here shows that it can still be interesting. At least I find it so.

Really now? Sounds like you just don't like the design. Everything ties into war. Gold, science, culture, faith, tourism, diplomacy. All of it can be controlled through warfare. VP is constantly improving these aspects, and the AI is still getting better at handling it.
Sure, the base game did a crap job of it, but I don't see how you think it's hopeless with such a massive improvement right here, available for anyone to contribute to. The fact that we're all still here shows that it can still be interesting. At least I find it so.
Perhaps. Personally like I said I prefer smaller focused conflicts then the current approach of swarm tactics the game seems shifted too. When war becomes impossible unless you have nukes to cull the herd or are willing to micromanage 50-100+ units I find this aspect of the game to be boring. Maybe I'm a peace-monger at heart, or maybe I just don't want to deal with the headache war brings to the game in later eras.

Perhaps. Personally like I said I prefer smaller focused conflicts then the current approach of swarm tactics the game seems shifted too. When war becomes impossible unless you have nukes to cull the herd or are willing to micromanage 50-100+ units I find this aspect of the game to be boring. Maybe I'm a peace-monger at heart, or maybe I just don't want to deal with the headache war brings to the game in later eras.
Oh yeah the micromanagement of units is an endless pain as the game goes on. Just a way to order half of my military to move in the general direction of the next enemy would be absolutely amazing.

Oh yeah the micromanagement of units is an endless pain as the game goes on. Just a way to order half of my military to move in the general direction of the next enemy would be absolutely amazing.
Exactly, but when the battle devolves into "just go in this direction and kill stuff" you're not being tactical anymore. I prefer my war-strategy games to be in the vein of X-com and Fire Emblem.

Civ (even Vox Populi) is not a fun war-strategy game.
The fun in Civ comes from city management, growth, and diplomatic control.
When war breaks out the enjoyment in Civ often drops dramatically.

Exactly, but when the battle devolves into "just go in this direction and kill stuff" you're not being tactical anymore. I prefer my war-strategy games to be in the vein of X-com and Fire Emblem.

Civ (even Vox Populi) is not a fun war-strategy game.
The fun in Civ comes from city management, growth, and diplomatic control.
When war breaks out the enjoyment in Civ often drops dramatically.
Nope. I still find it tactical and fun. The only times strategy disappears is when you have a huge tech advantage that can come from previous wars. If I reach that point, then the upcoming defense against a big chunk of the world is fun in its own right. City management, growth, and diplomacy often leads to warfare to achieve max efficiency. Not to mention terrain being a big decider on war even being a decent option, which would never be a problem if the current unit design was different.

What it needs is convenient unit management. That I will agree with. I don't think an entire design change would be necessary though. If it were possible to set a target and let the AI move things for a bit though... That probably isn't possible.

Last edited:
I have a question for those who regularly play on epic/marathon. What era do your games normally end in? In standard if i play extremely peacefully they can go to modern, but usually they end much earlier.

I have a question for those who regularly play on epic/marathon. What era do your games normally end in? In standard if i play extremely peacefully they can go to modern, but usually they end much earlier.
All this time and I've yet to finish a game. Either I get an obvious win or a new version comes out every time. The obvious wins are usually at the industrial/modern era. At a guess, I'd say an actual finish would be around atomic/information. Up the number of civs if you're winning too early.

Edit:
I say that as a new version is released :lol:

I play epic pretty much exclusively. My fastest domination wins on a standard size map are Renaissance, but domination varies wildly based on a ton of factors so... As for peaceful games I never see games last into information era.

I've won every diplo victory I've won on my 1st vote. (which has always been the soonest possible session.)

Tourism normally happens from industrial to modern era.

I actually don't think I've had a single game go into information era on VP. Not that they did before, either.

I play epic pretty much exclusively. My fastest domination wins on a standard size map are Renaissance, but domination varies wildly based on a ton of factors so... As for peaceful games I never see games last into information era.

I've won every diplo victory I've won on my 1st vote. (which has always been the soonest possible session.)

Tourism normally happens from industrial to modern era.

I actually don't think I've had a single game go into information era on VP. Not that they did before, either.
So you have never launched the spaceship?

For domination games I usually get bored and call it a win once i lead in tech, social policies and I've beaten the strongest nation in a war. Its just so time consuming to war in the later eras (whereas I often play out other wins because the turns are pretty fast). On Epic I usually hit that point really quickly because there is just so much time for war!

So you have never launched the spaceship?

For domination games I usually get bored and call it a win once i lead in tech, social policies and I've beaten the strongest nation in a war. Its just so time consuming to war in the later eras (whereas I often play out other wins because the turns are pretty fast). On Epic I usually hit that point really quickly because there is just so much time for war!
On VP I've never launched the ship, even when trying for a science victory. I ended up having the wonderful waifu china, my vassal, vote me leader of the world. Another two or three times I won culture on accident when trying to win via tech.

Peaceful victories are boring imo tho.

With the tech cost changes I might try standard speed again though. I just got annoyed that it seemed by the time I finished a tedious 20 turn army march for war, an entire new tier of units were unlocked. For warfare Epic felt/feels much more "right" than standard.

Top Bottom