Forum Upgrade Complete

I also get random server- not-founds, but when I click on the link again it usually works.

Maybe some popup is doing it?

[advert]I suggest using something like Opera or Firefox for better browsing, though.[/advert] ;)

It sounds like an advert where IE doesn't know what to do so it crashes. Try downloading a popup blocker and see if it works then.

alamo said:
Occasionally I still get a server-not-found, but I suspect my ISP name server for that one.
I get the same errors at home occasionally, but never at work. Both systems are running the same version of IE, so I'd concur wit you that it is most likley the ISP.

I also get the page not found error at Uni, where I have to press back and click on the link rather than refreshing. At home it works normally. Maybe a firewall issue?

TF: some time ago I asked about adding the post count number to quotes so people could find full citations easily if they wanted. Is there any hope of this?

I checked the style template and don't think it can be done easily. I will post about it on vB's forum though.

Thanks, it is certainly not critical.

I am really glad we took the time to upgrade the forum to v3.01 from v2.26 last month. Recently an Arab hackers group hacked a number forums running versions of vBulletin older than v2.34 by taking advantage of known security flaw in those versions.

Whoa, that's crazy. Who knows what they might've done if they were able to hack Civfanatics...

Do you know what websites they hacked and what they did to the websites?

Thunderfall said:
I am really glad we took the time to upgrade the forum to v3.01 from v2.26 last month. Recently an Arab hackers group hacked a number forums running versions of vBulletin older than v2.34 by taking advantage of known security flaw in those versions.

Well, you did get 2.35 for weeks before the upgrade, so wouldn't CFC been safe because it the security issues only existed in 2.34 and lower?

Manverulin said:
Whoa, that's crazy. Who knows what they might've done if they were able to hack Civfanatics...

Probaly just a denial of service attack.

hbdragon88 said:
Well, you did get 2.35 for weeks before the upgrade, so wouldn't CFC been safe because it the security issues only existed in 2.34 and lower?
That's true. We did upgrade the forum to v2.35 in April, a month before the v3.01 upgrade.
I know 4 or 5 forums. In all of them the hacker managed to make himself an admin and deleted all the forums and posts. Most of the hacked forums were able to restore the forum from a backup of the database though. There are a couple of threads about this on the official vB forum.

It IS you? Marine actually achieved something? :wow: :)p ;))

Or are you kidding?

BTW, just noticed some... erm... high postcounts on the forum. Go chech 'em. The highest one is over 44k! :eek:

Beats even Curt. :p

hbdragon88 said:

IOsn't Poly running an even older version of vB? :hmm:

Last time I was there they were running 2.0.3. But the exploit involves the calender, and all the 2.34 forums had to do was to replace their old calenders with the new ones.

Top Bottom