FOTH-01 It's a Wiki, Wiki World!!

FoolontheHill

Head Stooge
Because I do believe that all popular culture derives from the Three Stooges, I wanted to make a Stooge themed variant. However, that will have to wait as I do have an idea I'd like to try. (Although, if I stretch things I could say that it is inspired by "Violent is the word for Curly" where the boys pose as university professors and general hilarity ensues).

Anyway;

Flavor: Warlords

Map: Standard, Pangea
Difficulty: Monarch (although all are welcome, including the n00bs out there)
Civ: Ragnar
Opponents: All financial civs
Speed: Normal
Victory Condition: Spaceship (although all enabled)

24 hour I got it, 48 hour play

The variant:
Inspired by the collective mind concept of Wikipedia, knowledge is the birthright of all. In other words, all tech must be traded, all the time, for anything, always.

We must beeline for Alphabet. Only 1 researched tech out of the beeline is allowed. Once we have Alphabet, we must then trade all techs we have to anyone that will trade by the end of the set. If they don't have anything to trade, then we give it away. This is repeated every turnset, we should never end a turnset where we have any techs that the other civs don't have.

After Alphabet, the beeline is Literature, then Education. Only one researched tech allowed out of the beeline for those as well.

No wars of agression, however, we may destroy anyone that attacks us or that attacks anyone that is pleased or friendly with us. We may also join our friends in their attacks.

I think anyone that is not financial will be a drain in this variant, so all civs will have the financial trait. In Vanilla, this means the world will contain: Catherine, Elizabeth/Victoria, Huayna, Mansa, Qin Shi and Washington.

In Warlords it would be Hannibal; Wang Kon, Ragnar, Victoria and Huayna.

This is a smaller number of civs than normal for a standard map, which also would be interesting to try.

Anyone Interested?? If so, I'll roll the start, but someone else gets to play the first set.

Roster:

Foolonthehill
Baru
douglas 21
ruff hi
??????

You'll want to play a leader that starts with Hunting/Mining, that way allowing you to get at least Archery/Bronze Working for troops.

It will be my first SG attempt but the Stooges will always hold a special place in me. Plus, I am loving basing "rules" upon myself. I'm up...........please.

Baru said:
It will be my first SG attempt but the Stooges will always hold a special place in me. Plus, I am loving basing "rules" upon myself. I'm up...........please.

Welcome Baru! Do you want the Moe slot?

Cookie Crumbs said:
You'll want to play a leader that starts with Hunting/Mining, that way allowing you to get at least Archery/Bronze Working for troops.

That's is a very good point. To be safe, I would think hunting. If we go with Bronze and there isn't any copper close, that would be a problem. Although, with vanilla, that would eliminate everyone but Catherine. Almost everyone starts with mining but her. It will definitely be a builder type start, only archers until Alphabet.

I don't think I want to start as this is my first succession game, but I will if it comes down to it. I would vote on playing this as Warlords but I'm willing to play vanilla in necessary.
With the small number of civs barbs will definaltey end up being a problem but I can't imagine turing them off.
I'm ready to go as soon as the rosters full!

Baru said:
I don't think I want to start as this is my first succession game, but I will if it comes down to it. I would vote on playing this as Warlords but I'm willing to play vanilla in necessary.
With the small number of civs barbs will definaltey end up being a problem but I can't imagine turing them off.
I'm ready to go as soon as the rosters full!

Okay, that's no problem. I'll take the first spot. I'd prefer Warlords as well so let's go ahead with that. I'd say Ragnar for the leader as it probably is safest to start with Hunting.

We are getting quite a few views but no takers so we have a couple of options. We can leave it open for a couple of days and see if we get any interest or we can go ahead and start with just the two of us and hope we get a couple more players after we have some sets in. Whaddya think?

I'm up to go ahead and start if you want to. As I said I am new to this so it may take me some trials and errors to get eveything posted right so please bear with me.
I can play tonight and Sunday...probably not Satuday though. I can usually also play most weeknights.

Welcome my friend.

I may be boundaryless (wiki) but I would assume that you are more than welcome.
I was playing Vanilla (monarch, with dubious success) until I got a RPS game that I got involved in for a few months but the luster wore off and I returned to the game I really have the passion for.

Sir Fool (check in as soon as you can) we need to get this going no matter what.

Disclaimer: Not Grammatical.

And.................I just went through the various options of leaders.

Ragnar seems very like a good choice. Not only have I had good luck with him but the traits seem to match the confines of the game.

?possible? Change to Fracal.
It is totally up to you.

douglas_21 said:
Can I join? I live in EST, and play monarch difficulty.

Absolutely!! Welcome to the Wiki World.

Baru said:
?possible? Change to Fracal.
It is totally up to you.

I generally play fractal or continents maps, but the reason I went with pangea for this one is that, with this variant, if we ended up alone on a small land mass until optics, we would be hurting!

Baru said:
I'm up to go ahead and start if you want to. As I said I am new to this so it may take me some trials and errors to get eveything posted right so please bear with me.
I can play tonight and Sunday...probably not Satuday though. I can usually also play most weeknights.

Don't worry about that. I've only been playing these for a few months. The main thing is to report on your thinking as much as on what happened. I think the strategy discussions and reading the reasoning behind why people did what they did is as interesting as the game itself. The main thing is to have fun. :D

Pictures are good, but don't feel like you have to post a bunch. A few that illustrate strategic issues or decision points are generally good.

I should be able to roll the start and play tomorrow. Hopefully will get something up tomorrow evening. Since there are only three of us, we won't worry too much about posting a got it in 24 hours and playing in 48. Let's just try to keep things moving along as best we can.

Not a bad starting position, but not one that excites me greatly. With only 1 visible resource in the fat cross, I'm gambling that either horses, copper or iron will show up later. I decide to settle in place.

Without any worker techs for quite a while, I don't see any reason to go for a worker yet, so I start another scout. We will need to meet as many of the neighbors as soon as possible (hopefully all of them by the time we have alphabet).

The tech beeline yields, Animal Husbandry-->Writing-->Alphabet. I hadn't thought about AH (we'll get an early worker tech after all :D ). I decide to gamble a bit since we won't see barbs for a while and start with it. If we have horses close, we may be able to skip archery as our one off beeline tech.

The first few turns are exploration to the east with our starting scount. In 3840BC we pop a hut and get a nice surprise!!

Okay, now we have some options off of the beeline tech. I would go for Bronze Working, but we didn't start with mining. Our borders pop in 3800BC and I see calendar resources north and west of our fat cross.

In 3720BC we meet Huayna and Wang Kon in the east. I disrupt my exploration plan a bit and decide to try to find their capitals. So, the scout heads southeast.

In 3520BC our capital grows to size 2 and the second scout finishes. I start an Archer as it is time to have at least a minimal capital defense. Since we got archery from a hut, I decide to go for the Wheel as the off beeline tech. Tough choice, but if we do want to grab horses (which are in a nice potential city spot to the southeast) we will need the wheel to hook them up. Since chariots in Warlords are good axemen killers, I'd like to prioritize horses if possible.

In 3840BC the second scout (who is now heading east) finds a nice resource that unfortunately we won't be able to use for a while.....

Buddhism is FIDL in 3440BC and Hinduism is FIDL in 3360BC.

Our first scout is eaten in the far east in 3400BC, but not before finding the capitals...

Wow. Given that we are starting with fewer civs than standard for this map, I'm surprised that these two are so close together.

More exploring from 3400BC to 3200BC. Here is the known world in 3200BC..

Here are the lands near us to the east..

And the lands near us to the west...

I played 20 turns to start. The next two sets should be 15 turns and then we will go to the normal 10 turn rotation.

I think we should be looking at the Horse/gems/rice/cow spot for our second city. It is a little far away, but it does settle us toward our enemies, secures horses and looks to be a good city site.

We need to get a barracks built in the capital fairly soon and then maybe Archer-->Settler to get that second city going. Research should be Writing-->Alphabet, as soon as the wheel finishes. One thing we may want to do is work the coastal tiles when we start Alphabet as the extra commerce will cut a few turns off since it is a fairly expensive tech.

Got quite a few things going the next couple of days so I may not get a chance to try a dot map, but I will if I get a chance (if anyone else wants to, feel free). Don't wait on the dot map to play the next set (a settler wouldn't be ready by the end of that set anyway.

Roster:

Foolonthehill --- Just Played
Baru --- UP!
douglas 21 ---On deck.
ruff hi

Save is attached. (This is the first time I've uploaded a Warlords save and I've heard there can be problems. Let me know if you can't access it and I'll zip it and try again).

Having connection probs. Will play and try to post.
If nothing in the next 12 hrs then the worst happend.

Got it played and will post by 7 PST Monday. Not a whole lot went on, but to ruin it for you.......I switched the archer (I let one be produced) to settler.

Well you'll get the full story very soon.

It's been a hectic couple of days but I can now put the time and energy as I should have done. But we are all good noe......................game on!

Full post by 7 pacific douglas!

I've had warlords for a few weeks now and haven't actually played a SP game - I guess what I need is a SG to get me going. Please count me in.

ruff_hi said:
I've had warlords for a few weeks now and haven't actually played a SP game - I guess what I need is a SG to get me going. Please count me in.

Welcome!! I'll slot you in after douglas 21.

Ok, I'll be off the computer by 10 EST (7 PST) so I'll post a got it tomorrow. How do I post the saved game in my post? Screenshots are attachments right? Do I click the "easy upload system" button?

Well your all going to be mad at me but I think a freind of mine deleted the save. Could someone else take the 2nd spot wince I won't be able to play until at least tomorrow night?

Sorry all!

This must be the fastest un-sign up in history. Sorry all but I cannot follow through with this game. Good luck.

ruff_hi said:
This must be the fastest un-sign up in history. Sorry all but I cannot follow through with this game. Good luck.

No problem. Real life does interfere at times....

Feel free to lurk or come back if time allows.

Top Bottom