1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Found this gem, my Civ III Play the World Beta CD! (Includes World Exclusive Cut Content!)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by monkspider, Mar 17, 2019.

1. monkspider

monkspider Warlord

So, I was a beta-tester for Civ III's expansions back in the day. i still have my beta discs, and here is a look at the disc for the first beta of Play the World. The erased area had my real name.

https://i.imgur.com/hdO5M5G.jpg

I remember the Play the World beta had a few interesting differences from the final version. Numidian Mercenary, the unique unit for Carthage was originally called Libyan Mercenary. The Civ traits like scientific, religious, etc were totally different in the beta version. Like, the Ottomans were scientific and industrious in the release version, which they totally weren't in the beta. I remember there was an imbalance of traits, like there was a lot of religious and militaristic civs and hardly any scientific civs, so they changed them around to balance things out a bit, even if it wasn't the best historical fit. In the release version there was a unit called Medieval Infantry which was just a normal unit any Civ could build that went through several different iterations. I seem to recall the devs really agonizing over what to call this unit. I want to say the original name was Men-at-Arms, and then there may have been something else, and then finally it was changed to medieval infantry. That is my best recollection of specific differences that could have been found in the beta version.

Oh! I remember one more. Originally, the H'wacha didn't kill units, since siege units didn't kill units in Civ III. But to get a golden age, the main way to do so in this game was to kill an enemy unit with your unique unit, so I loudly advocated changing it so the H'wacha could be the one unique siege unit that could actually kill enemy units since otherwise the Koreans would be screwed out of getting a golden age. I think I found out later that this was a pretty unpopular decision in the multiplayer community when the release version came out. Oops!

Ok, and I promised you cut content! I have been holding these files back for years but I think its time to finally release them to the public. There may not be a lot of interest, but I considered it my responsibility to hold on to them in the name of historical preservation. OK, so there was one REALLY big change between the beta version and the final game. Originally, Wang Kon, the leader for Korea looked completely different. In the beta version, he was this bald, Nosferatu looking character, totally creepy even for Civ 3 leader standards. I can understand why they changed him, but I always preferred the beta version. I think there may have been some marketing materials very early on that showed this version. So, without further ado, here are the files for the original version of Wang Kon.

http://www.filedropper.com/oldwangkon

If there's any interest I might do a write up on my Civ III Conquests beta test memories too.

Theov, Spoonwood, Synsensa and 3 others like this.
  2. monkspider

monkspider Warlord

As an aside, it makes me happy to see Civ III still have such a thriving community here on Civ Fanatics. :)

fuad and Nathiri like this.
  3. Nathiri

Nathiri Commander

is there more cut content? you made it sound plural. Wang looking different was known as you have noted at the end, so I'm curious what else :).

4. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

monkspider, these are interesting informations. Thank you very much for sharing them :) - and it´s great that you still like and post about Civ 3! :thumbsup:

Did you have a chance to see Jeff Morris at that time. Did he really have a pony tail, as shown in the Jaimo unit?

Attached Files:

5. monkspider

monkspider Warlord

Nathiri- There might be more cut content I am not remembering, but as far as I can recall, the different Wang Kon was the biggest difference, and it motivated me to keep his old files all these years on one of my external hard drives. I was poking through the hard drive recently to see what I had on there and came across those files and decided to finally make them available to the public. The only problem with re-installing the beta is that I remember I had to have a password back in the day which unfortunately I didn't keep. I will try to poke around on the CD and see if there is anything else I can come up wit.

Civnator- I didn't actually work with Firaxis on site, I was a remote beta tester. The main Firaxis rep I talked with was Barry Caudill who was a super chill, awesome guy. I think Jeff Morris did stick his head in on the beta forum once in a great while though. He was a great guy.

6. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

monkspider, thank you very much for your reply. :)

7. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

Very interesting, and it reminds me of a statement of SirPleb, one of the legendary Civ3 players, who in one of his threads said something about the MedInf disturbing the balance of the game or something like that. Don't recall his exact argument, but I think it went along the lines that in the Vanilla game you had to make a very careful choice in the early game as to whether you build the stronger Swordsman and get some immediate punch, but be left with a unit that will become obsolete soon or whether to build the weaker Horseman, which is more of an "investment into the future" as it can be upgraded to much stronger units like Knights and Cavalry. The introduction of the upgrade path Swordsman -> MedInf -> Guerilla made this early decision a bit "arbitrary", i.e. it didn't really matter anymore, which choice you made.
    So SirPleb didn't like that new unit much, and apparently the devs had their problems with it as well... :D

jarred! likes this.
  8. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Prince

Personally, I thought the new process to upgrade the Swordsman was worth it ... otherwise, it was useful only in the short term and had to be disbanded or else still be around in the modern age.

9. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

Well, that's the difference between "us mortals" and "the old legends":
    Our train of thought goes "it makes the game easier, so I like it".
    Their train of thought goes "it makes the game easier, so I don't like it".
    (After all, the game is already way too easy as it is, so why make it even easier and remove the last bit of fun/challenge... :D)

10. vorlon_mi

vorlon_mi Just One More Turn

I remember the un-upgradeable Swordsmen in Vanilla, when I first played it. I was glad to see that they fixed in Conquests. Since I play for a lot of spaceship victories, I often have un-upgradeable Cavalry running around behind my Tanks and Modern Armor. I like that they addressed that in Civ 4 by allowing Cavalry to upgrade to Gunships (fighting helicopters), but I would always chuckle to myself when I performed that upgrade. Where did the horses go?

WeirdoJoker likes this.
  11. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Prince

Lol ... I haven't tried Civ4 yet (though I have it downloaded), so at least I have that to look forward to.

12. monkspider

monkspider Warlord

Hmm, looks like my old link got deleted, here is the early Wang Kon again.

Attached Files:

fuad likes this.
  13. Theov

Theov Deity

thanks! I will change it in my mod.
    If there's anything else you have please share.