1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BNW] Founding a Religion on a Religion OFF game

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by dex.amico, Apr 27, 2019.

1. dex.amico

dex.amico Chieftain

Hello there! I'm playing Civilization for a really really long time, since 2010 at least, but after all that time I never saw something like this. Another day I was playing with an advanced era start game, and like usually the settings put religion off. But for the second time, on a similar game settings, the same civ found a way to found their own religion. This happened two times, in a barely same way: The Mayas found Catholicism, on the same city, on two distintcly games. Have someone already saw something similar or have any explanation how its possible?

P.S.: Sorry for my english

beetle likes this.
  2. Sarin

Sarin Chieftain

Hm...Mayas have Long Count...perhaps it's a bug that they can still select Great Prophet as their bonus GP even in religion off game.

3. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

Yep. it's a bug in the Long Count (Maya Bonus) code. There's nothing to stop a prophet being selected if religion is disabled, neither is there anything to stop a scientist being selected if science is off.

4. dex.amico

dex.amico Chieftain

Well, this is somehow surprisingly and not surprisingly on the same time. The kind of bugs we all love.

5. beetle

beetle Chieftain

That is so cool, that I never heard of this bug before! Do they get to pick a Founder and Follower belief? Is it possible to Enhance? I am thinking not. And I don’t think cities generate religious pressure without the religion being Enhanced. So as neat as this bug is, I cannot think of how to really exploit it! OP, please tell me that Catholicism spread like crazy!

6. dex.amico

dex.amico Chieftain

I think it generate pressure, because when I look at the trade routes screen I can see that the city exports religion pressure to my cities. But since I didnt established trade routes with them I really doesn't know if the religion can really expand to my own ciites

7. beetle

beetle Chieftain

@dex.amico, what era did you start in? I tried an Industrial start, played about 50 turns with nothing from the Maya UA, then paused to think about the game mechanics. Now I am thinking I will not get to pick a GPr until 2012, so about 200 more turns. :cringe:

I reset to try Information Era start (2001), Marathon pace. That will take me about 36 turns for Long Count GP, since each turn is 4 months. Still too tedious. :cringe::cringe:

First turn with Information Era Start at Standard pace is 1980, so 32 turns to GP. First turn with Information Era start at Epic pace is 1975. Game makes no sense!

Anyway, I will try Information Era start at Standard pace, and report back.

EDIT1: T433, GPr not an option for Long Count. So maybe this is just a G&K bug, or maybe an option for the AI and not the human player?
    EDIT2: Tried a couple Information Era starts (Deity, small Pangea Plus, hand picked opponents). I also am seeing Maya founding each game, in year 2013. Even as Korea I have yet to win, but I am kind of messing around.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  8. beetle

beetle Chieftain

Thanks for this idea! I am trying figure out a recipe for winning Information Era start at Deity, Small size, Marathon pace. I am playing Korea and picking AI opponents w/o science bias. What I have noticed so far:
    1. Rush buying a University on the first turn unlock Satellites on the next turn. This seems pretty OP as I then I know how to meet everyone.
    2. Liberty seems much stronger than Tradition: Settlers are expensive, so an early one is very nice. In a few turns, I use Liberty closer for GE for Hubble.
    3. Workers and chopping Forests seems very important. So again, nice to have the buff from Liberty.
    4. With the Korean UA, rush buying, then Oxford and NC pretty much takes care of the tech tree. I have not found a need for Public Schools and Research Labs in Expos.
    5. Having Coal (or not) makes a huge difference.
    6. There is no time for any of the international projects.
    7. I am only picking up a couple or three Ideology tenets, so I am trying to figure out how to fix that.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  9. dex.amico

dex.amico Chieftain

Well, normally I use a set up like this, and almost everytime The Mayas found a religion.

Sid Meier's Civilization V (DX11) 15_05_2019 14_30_02.png Sid Meier's Civilization V (DX11) 15_05_2019 14_30_16.png