1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Founding a religion post-patch

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by DonPato, Nov 22, 2016.

1. DonPato

DonPato Chieftain

Has anybody noticed any differences with founding a religion post-patch? I'm a Mac user so I don't have it yet, but I've been really disappointed about the religious game and am hoping that founding a religion is actually halfway worth it post-patch...

2. ansa

ansa Chieftain

Seems to be harder now, and you actually have to actively spam prayers, instead of just building 2 holy sites with shrines and use GPP pink card =(

3. Onii-chan

Onii-chan King

There are numerous mods which significantly buff religious beliefs, try playing with either of those

4. DonPato

DonPato Chieftain

Ugh, this is the part that I don't like. The amount of resources that are needed to dedicate towards founding a religion are unjustifiable against what you have to give up to make it happen.

5. Larsenex

Larsenex King

On most of my games I eliminate two victory conditions and keep two and allow myself to work towards it. In my current game you can only win by conquest (which is fun at times) or Religion. I have the other two already so I disabled Science and Culture as win conditions. I found that it is more expensive to build out a religion but then its the only way to win short of conquest so I feel the effort is well worth it.

I dont know but I did notice that Inquisitors are WEAKER than missionaries. (100 vrs 75) Pretty weak sauce when trying to battle missionaries or apostles.

I got Hagia!, I got Portola, and now I have a nice army. I just need to find Yerevan and surround it with an army and then get Suzerain of it.

6. Xenotitan

Xenotitan Prince

Inquisitors get +35 in home territory. They're for defense.

7. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Note that this really cripples the AI; specially those AI's whose flavors are more suitable to be combined with the disabled victory conditions than the ones still allowed.

8. TomKQT

TomKQT Prince

I really wish the game would tell you important stuff like this in the unit details when building it (buying it) or at least in the Civilopedia. Btw only because of this forums and only yesterday I finaly realised HOW to make inquisitors at all. Few times I used the "start inquisition" button on an apostle, but as it did nothing (and the apostle disappeared), I releaded. I expected it to have the same effect as inquisitors had in CivV (and as in fact they have also in CivVI).
    The game won't tell you ANYTHING about this at all.
    (Similarly, offtopic, - "medic heals adjanced units". Wow. But when and how much?)

KrikkitTwo likes this.
  9. ansa

ansa Chieftain

Yeah some tech descriptions are vague at best.
    Very annoying, considering this is supposed to be strategic choice to research something, when you have no idea even what it does.

KrikkitTwo likes this.
  10. Lord Yanaek

Lord Yanaek Emperor

You will believe i just want to go contradict you, but in my experience even if 2-3 religions get founded very early, 1-2 are usually available now with the help of the pink card unlike pre-patch when you considered the card useful and i considered it useless :think:

I guess this is just confirmation bias and the variation depends more on civilizations present in game and other random factors than patch status as i don't think there was anything in the release notes about AIs competing more or less for religion (though it might be a side effect of trying to make them more competitive on other victories).
    Not just tech descriptions, it's everything in the game! It's almost as if the developers purposefully hid some of the game mechanisms to make the game look less complex. I must admit this would be a terrible design choice, and i don't use the word "terrible" often.

As for medics, they heal +50 when the unit actually heals (unit must spend a turn doing nothing).

KrikkitTwo likes this.
  11. Sun Tzu Wu

Sun Tzu Wu Deity Supporter

If one doesn't get a Great Prophet, there are three majors options to getting a Religion:

1) Passively waiting for a Civ with a Religion to spread it to you (declaring mutual friendship with a Religion focused AI probably helps). Hope that the most desirable Religion spreads to you while you attempt to block missionaries of undesireable Religions from your empire via civilian units.

2) Buy a city that has a majority Religion most suitable for one's victory plans.

3) Capture a city with a majority Religion that is most suitable for one's victory plans.

Once one has the desired Religion as a majority in a city (which option 1 & 2 may not provide), one can generate missionaries and apostles to spread it throughout one's empire as needed for one's victory plan.

Please correct any of the above, as I only started playing Civ VI a few days ago and I'm still learning the game. I'm a Civ VI verteran that avoided Civ V for various reasons.

12. juanpavo

juanpavo Warlord

A few points to add (which may not be significant depending on your game): (1) As a non-founder, you will not be able to generate inquisitors, (2) Keep an eye on the real owner of the religion, in case you are helping them towards a religious victory.

13. Sun Tzu Wu

Sun Tzu Wu Deity Supporter

Thanks, juanpavo, for pointing out two concerns with my religion acquiring alternates to founding a Religions via a Great Prophet.

How important is not being able to generate inquisitors?

Do they just more cheaply defend against rival Religion spread in one's empire due to their domestic location bonus or is there more to them?

14. Lord Yanaek

Lord Yanaek Emperor

Inquisitors defend you in theological combat. They are almost as good as Apsotle but strictly worse than an apostle with Debater and will probably have troubles fighting apostles from a Theology civilization. They have 2 Inquisition charges thought and when you use it on one of your own cities, it will totally remove foreign religions. They can be useful to defend but i find their best use is as a safeguard in case an AI manages to convert your holy city and you don't have another city to buy Apostles.

I think if you don't found a religion, trying to actively choose which religion to keep will be a waste of time and efforts. Just accept whatever spreads to you and concentrate on what you wanted to do in the first place when you decided to ignore religion.

Sun Tzu Wu likes this.
  15. kb27787

kb27787 Deity

Still no change. On higher difficulties AI will beat you to all the religions before you can get your second/third city holy site if you don't do something extra. Wasting early turns on prayers is disastrous.
    Best way is to A) play China and beeline Stonehenge (under 30 turns as it is a very popular wonder, easily doable if you build workers and discover a natural wonder)
    or B) Get a faith generating pantheon (stone circles), get your first holy site up instead of settler, get as close as you can and patronage the last great prophet by sheer faith.
    Other than that, you can still build holy sites and get faith AND regardless, you get to keep your pantheon, which to me, makes religion very weak in CivVI.