1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Founding a Religion

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Hector Achilles, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Hector Achilles

Hector Achilles Warlord

Not a total noob here...played a lot of Civ IV and a bit of Civ V, but was never a hardcore player, mostly casual, so I need a bit of help.

I'm loving Civ VI, GS, so far. I've tried a bunch of different Civs out, playing mostly Prince, Huge map, Marathon, 12 total civs, standard, etc.....but I can never find a religion. With 12 civs in my games there are 7 total religions that can be found...I don't have any luck. I have won every other way, but religion, so it's bugging me I can't figure it out.

I know I need a Great Prophet to found a religion,....I'm always trying to construct buildings, districts, wonders (Stonehenge), and find techs that generate Great Prophet points / turn, but I can never do it as fast as the AI. What am I missing?

What order should I build things? What Govt, culture, techs, wonders should I go after first so that I can be one of the 7 that finds a religion? Any help/guidance would be much appreciated.

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

At Prince you should research Astrology and get your Holy Site up quickly. And get the Mysticism civic asap as well for the Prophet policy.

If you manage that, it should be pretty easy to nab at least one of them.

I would avoid Stonehenge unless there are multiple Stone nearby to harvest to rush production.

Uberfrog likes this.
  3. Hector Achilles

Hector Achilles Warlord

Thank you so much....I'll try that.

4. Jewman

Jewman Prince

Don't know how quickly prophets go at Prince, but you can't slot in the mysticism prophet card (unless you're poland/greece) until you get a government and by the time I get my first government it's usually down to the last prophet (at emperor which isn't too much higher) and the policy card is pretty useless.

Basically you have to beeline astrology, running into a NW is completely random but helps, and getting a good faith generating pantheon early can net you enough faith to actually buy your first prophet (like the last 20 or 30 points or so to beat out the AI from getting it)

Kmart_Elvis and Uberfrog like this.
  5. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

Prophet policy is only useful if you can slot it. You will need political philosophy to get a government form with a wildcard. Unless you play Greece but if you want to play a specific civ for religion you're of course beter of with Arabia.
    By the time I get political philosophy the race is usually done unless you get lucky with both early sources of culture and three nearby city states for the boost.

6. ZeroSuitSenpai

ZeroSuitSenpai Warlord

You just need to keep an eye on the great person screen and see how many Great Prophet Points your competitors are earning per turn. If you have a comfortable lead with just your Holy Site (+1 GPP) and a shrine (also +1 GPP), you can probably rest easy and wait until you accumulate enough prophet points to recruit your prophet. If you find you are behind, worried someone will faith/gold buy the prophet, or are worried that someone's insane GPP generation is going to overtake you (let's say they have a golden age for +4 GPP and are running the +2 GPP policy card), run Holy Site Prayers (the project) in your holy site until you get your Great Prophet. Holy Site Prayers are by far the most effective way to earn a Great Prophet, as they pump out big big GPP numbers, but the cost is that you're doing nothing useful in the early game.

I'd only run prayers if you are a civ that REALLY wants a religion (e.g. Georgia) or you realize you'll lose the last prophet unless you do. Definitely not impossible by any means to come back after you spend your early game time running Prayers, but it does make your life a bit harder.

ALSO, there are two civilizations in the game capable of rushing a Great Prophet without sacrificing too much of their early game -- Greece and Poland. Both Greece and Poland have a wildcard slot in their government before political philosophy. This means these civs (and only these civs) can rush the mysticism civic at the start of the game, and immediately make use of the +2 Great Prophet points wild card policy. They get the GPP generation of a holy site + shrine while being able to devote their production to a Settler instead. Quite nice.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    Kmart_Elvis likes this.
  7. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Build 2 holy sites. Look at the progress towards religion. If it's going slow, build shrines and then run projects. If they look like they're making progress, don't build shrines and run projects (chop if it's close)

The main bottleneck is actually getting to astrology. You'll need an early scout or get really lucky to find a natural wonder and it's not always possible which is why I think religion sorta sucks. Also try to get 1-2 key techs before you do it.

agonistes likes this.
  8. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

Divine Inspiration pantheon also helps with prophet points and is all around useful.
    If available I take earth godess but that requires a bit of luck or playing Indonesia or Mali for quick early faith generation.

Kmart_Elvis and Phoenix1595 like this.
  9. ZeroSuitSenpai

ZeroSuitSenpai Warlord

I really hate being that guy but it's Divine Spark*

Just so new players don't get confused ;)

10. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

I get a fair amount of my prophets by getting about 75% of the GPP and then buying them with gold or faith when I realize I'm going to lose the race.

11. Hector Achilles

Hector Achilles Warlord

Thank you all so much for the replies!! I really really appreciate all the ideas and detailed steps!! I tried 2 new games last night, and again could not find a religion. The highest GPP's/turn I generated was 5, and at times some of the AI's were are 8, 9, or 10 / turn. I had no shot. However now, with all of the above strategies I feel pretty confident I'll succeed on my next try. Thanks again all, I appreciate the help.

12. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

This gets me a religion most of the time, even on immortal or deity.

Research order: Mining -> Astrology
    Capital build order: Scout -> Worker -> Settler -> Holy Site -> Shrine or HS projects (only if necessary)
    2nd city build order: HS -> Shrine or HS projects (only if necessary)
    Pantheon: Divine Spark (if necessary and fits the rest of your game plan)

Use the scout and your starting warrior to look for natural wonders to get the boost to Astrology. Natural wonders tend to be common in desert and tundra/snow so scout those terrains first. Use the worker to build mines or chop forests to increase your production and get the Settler/HS out faster. Researching Astrology 2nd and getting a HS out in both of your cities as early as possible is critical to start accumulating great prophet points as soon as possible. Keep an eye on the great people points screen and make sure you are on track to get a Great Prophet. If the AI is going to beat you, you need to build shrines right after the HS. If it is really really dire, run HS projects instead of building shrines as they will provide more GP points than shrines alone. Divine Spark as a pantheon is also useful for getting that GP if you think you need it although other choices might be overall better depending on what you are going for in that particular game. If you have the faith, you can purchase a GP to get it a few turns earlier.

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  13. Hector Achilles

Hector Achilles Warlord

Thank you so much for this,...this is exactly what I needed! Will this most likely work even if I do not play as Poland or Greece?

14. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Russia is a good alternative to those 2 since its Holy Site provides more GPP.

Kmart_Elvis likes this.
  15. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Of course one can just play Arabia, as I do when I want to play religion without fuss. Lazy but efficient.

16. Mr_PeaCH

Mr_PeaCH Chieftain

My solution is this mod:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1178185727

Raises the number of religions that can be founded to between 12 and 16; also adds some related buildings and features I think.

I just never liked having to 'beeline' founding a religion if I really wanted one, probably at the expense of strengthening my military or founding more cities. And even then getting pipped at the last before I had enough gold or faith to grab the last Prophet. Now I just relax and get a prophet in due time.

17. Navelgazer

Navelgazer Prince

So you're trying to go hardcore religion, eh? Try this one weird strategy*

Step 1. Try playing as Mali or Indonesia
    Step 2. Research Astrology while building scouts. Try to find a natural wonder as fast as you can. Turning on "Legendary" start in the advanced set-up screen will assist with this.
    Step 3. As soon as you have Astrology researched, build a Holy Site.
    Step 4. Their start bonuses should get you one of the very first pantheons. There are really two choices here, and you'll probably only have the one choice anyway, so...
    4a) Choose Divine Spark. It'll give you extra Great Prophet points (as well as a few other goodies you probably won't mind.)
    4b) Choose Earth Goddess. The hardest pantheon to get, and not always useful (press "3" to check the appeal of your tiles. you want lots of green ones) but it'll build you up so much faith in the right circumstances that it's easy to see why it always gets snatched up first.
    Step 5. As soon as Astrology is done, start researching Mysticism. You should have a pantheon by now or soon enough to get the inspiration.
    Step 6. As soon as Mysticism is done, start building The Oracle and put your citizens of that city (probably your capital) into Production focus (but probably take them out of it once the wonder is built.)
    Step 7. Enjoy founding likely the first religion in the game.
    Step 8. Enjoy playing out one of the two most interesting and powerful civs in the game.

(EDIT: I should also mention that the early scouts want to make contact with any white-bordered City States they see, as this will help you in earning that good early Pantheon, as well as helping you in a religious victory over time. Also I should note that while Mansa Musa has great early faith generation, his production in the early game especially sucks, so you might want to skip the Oracle step and trust that Divine Spark + Holy Sites can get it done.)

*Note: only really "weird" in that it's so hardcore religion at the expense of other early game priorities

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  18. aguliondew

aguliondew Prince

Arabia is one of the most powerful civ because of the last prophet guarantees a prophet so you can always get a religion on higher difficulties. On higher difficulties you have to give up on expanding to get a religion. It take the AI ~50 turn to get a prophet on Emperor and above.

19. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

Yes it will work for almost any civ (not Kongo) although some are better than others. Poland, Greece, Japan, and Russia are the easiest in my opinion.

20. ZeroSuitSenpai

ZeroSuitSenpai Warlord

At least from an Emperor perspective, I find this not to be true. I get a religion 90% of the time I want one simply by prioritizing Astrology early. Might not get the first or second religion, but I do get one nearly every time. But I can't speak for difficulties above Emp.