Founding Civilization IV multiplayer clans - The Civfanatic Foreign Legion

TrailblazingScot

I was kittenOFchaos
I am very interested in the prospect of playing Civilization IV multiplayer and to that end I am looking to form a clan to gain a reliable pool of players with whom to play and to go into competitions as part of a team with.

At present I am early into developing a website and code of practice for the clan, but I may as well see if I can get some interest and support in such a venture.

Civfanatic Foreign Legion

Founding Statement

To form a clan of Civilization IV players from any country in the World that will uphold a particular code of play and possess a good knowledge of the game. As Civilization IV is well suited for multiplayer team play we shall look to make teams from the membership of the Civfanatic Foreign Legion to compete internally and externally.

As with the "French Foreign Legion" we look to:

Quotation from the Embassy of France in the United States, February 2001

The relationship between those who give the orders and those who receive them comes from a highly developed "esprit de corps" based on a few basic principles :
- discipline and honor,
- a liking for work well done,
- an attachment to the past, reinforced by strong traditions.

The traditions of the Foreign Legion are expressed by:
- its special uniform,
- its music and songs,
- its solemn pace for parades,
- its ceremonies particular to the Foreign Legion

We shall also have our own code of practice and shall look to build a reputation for having the best players who are willing to improve and to help other improve. We too shall identify ourselves with a clan tag and hopefully develop other features that will make ourselves different from other clans.

Entry requirements

1. Reputation - be it in online play or from the Civfanatics/Apolyton forums or modding.

2. Recommendation - a recommendation/invitation from a serving 'Civfanatic Foreign Legionnaire'.

3. By combat - if you defeat a Civfanatic Foreign Legionnaire in a game, then that can make you eligible to enter.

4. By test - A theory and written test as a separate entry option and to accompany the other various entry requirements as necessary.

This is to ensure our clan is made up of decent people, be it in character/commitment/ability and who are willing to follow the hurdles we have to ensure quality.

The benefit for the community is that our members will have made an obligation to a code of conduct which shall be enforced.

Another benefit is that if there is a complaint to be made against any of our members, this is where it can be pursued.

For our members it should be a badge of honour and also a meeting place to players who like them are going to follow a worthy code of conduct.

Civfanatic Foreign Legion

Our code of conduct

To remember this is a game and is about having fun - therefore, no cheating, abusive language, nor spoiling a game e.g quitting.

No abusive language - our Legionnaires recognise that there are children playing and that people play for fun, not to be abused. Even when our opponents are deserving of a tongue lashing, we shall remember that it is beneath our dignity.

No cheating - our Legionnaires will be honour bound to not use any program or tactic that could be classed as cheating. The various cheats shall be detailed as and when their nature becomes apparent.

No quitting - our Legionnaires shall not give in and leave a game once started before it is resolved. If our players wish to end the game, it has to be done with the permission of the other players - we will play out a losing position and do it with pride.

To be a challenge - our Legionnaires shall all endeavor to improving their play and providing the greatest competitive challenge to our opponents. Dignity comes through competency and good conduct together, not simply alone.

I am sure we shall develop new statements of principle to add to our code as we gain more experience with the Civilization IV format and what we want from our members.

Update 26/10/2005

I have setup an e-mail account that you can express an interest in enlisting at which is:

Please include details such as preferred contact e-mail address, MSN address and some indication as to what experience you have Civving. I'll try and sort through the applicants so we can get a core of players up and running pretty soon. By playing amongst each other we should be able to see if we've got the right people for the clan...myself included!

Any suggestions, include them too, including perhaps the format of our clan dogtag :)

my question to you - are you going to go along with the guidelines I outlined in my Mature Player Association Thread? If yes I will probably apply and see how your games work also. The MPA isn't in my opinion a league but rather a set of guidelines. And If it does turn into a league thru the efforts of others I hope we can maintain good relations and competitive play.

elderotter said:
my question to you - are you going to go along with the guidelines I outlined in my Mature Player Association Thread? If yes I will probably apply and see how your games work also. The MPA isn't in my opinion a league but rather a set of guidelines. And If it does turn into a league thru the efforts of others I hope we can maintain good relations and competitive play.

I'm reading through that thread just now, I'll see what can be stolen ;)

At whatever point that I attain the skills and experience necessary to join, I will do so.

:salute:

I'll setup a contact e-mail address soon for people to request entry.

KittenOfChaos: You weren't perchance a member of the old Shogun: Total War Chaos clan? There was a KittenOfChaos in that game. If you are, then you would probably remember me as ElmarkOFear of the FearFull Ways clan. If so, it is good to see some old STW clan members playing this game.

I can't recall joining any clans for Shogun Total War, though I was clanning at the time...surprised there was another kittenOFchaos out there.

First post updated.

Yup, she was the girlfriend of an STW Chaos Clan member and ended up being much better player than he ever was. hehe

Top Bottom