Founding Fathers - Ideas

Kailric

Jack of All Trades
As I study history I have seen several noted individuals that would make great FFs so I will jot them down here. This is also a place to suggest FFs and discuss FFs abilities.

One idea that I had recently is that, since we have Techs and Civics that give substantial bonuses and we don't want too many bonuses out and about so perhaps we could rework how FFs function. Plus, when we start the World History Mod there will be tons and tons of FFs. Ideas below...

1. You can only select one FF for each category to be your "Advisor". All others do not function, but they keep the enemy from using them. The Effects of FFs could be made more substantial because of this. The current Congress screen or FF screen could be easily modified to allow for this type of functionality. This would work well in conjunction with Civics. And As I mentioned elsewhere certain FFs could unlock certain Civics.

2. Each FF actually gives a Unit named after the FF and as long as the Unit lives you are able to gain its benefit.

I don't know if I like the first idea.. knee jerk reaction it would make the gathering of FF points kinda boring as you can only have 5(?) active guys... and could lead me to a lot of micro-managey headaches..

My feeling would be to just work them in with techs and civics to make them all balance together, so if any one tech, civic, or FF becomes too over powered we can spread out it's impact.
The thing with civics and techs (unless unique) is that they available to all players, so they are naturally balanced as everyone can choose to have it (whether one stands out as a must have compared to the others is another debate) FFs are balanced by the course of your actions, military players will grow in military strength and get first pick, religious players get first religious pick, etc.

I think limiting founding fathers to only 1 per category would make them too much like civics..
I don't know, like I said it is kind of my 'first feeling' about it. Maybe after I have sat on it awhile my opinion would change.

I quite like the second idea :) it is interesting....

I think I mentioned it once upon a time for WHM, I thought about instead of having FFs, I would make them 'National Identities/Characteristics'.

So instead of getting 'Bob the Boat Guy' (you all know that famous historical figure right?), who gives you a boat.
You would get 'Early Boat Makers' (Or whatever) that would give you the boat.

So each FF choice would shape the identity of your culture, rather than be an immortal member of history.

Top Bottom