1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Founding Religions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by one2tieyourshoe, Apr 1, 2008.

1. one2tieyourshoe

one2tieyourshoe Warlord

I was researching Polytheism and I was due to be finished the next turn. The next turn rolls around and... I don't found it. It has been founded in a distant land. How does that work? How is it decided who gets the religion? :confused:

2. oranges

oranges Prince

I always thought that if you come to the point that you'll discover/build something on the next turn, wihtout anyone doing it before, you're guaranteed to have it, but my recent experience demonstrated this is not true. I've spent a great engineer to complete a wonder and was still beaten to it on the next turn.

There must be some consideration who had more beakers/hammers over the limit or something like that.

3. nbcman

nbcman King

If you are playing single player, you will not finish your research until your next turn. One of the AI's whose turn was in between (IBT) your two turns finished their research of Polytheism.

4. Refar

Refar Deity

Have you a save ? Perhaps a autosave from a couple of turns before. Because what happened to you is somewhat of a "urban myth" - the code says it's impossible, yet it keeps happening - apparently - Tho we still do not have proof...

In SP the Human should win all ties - unless you started a custom game and moved yourself down from the first slot in the roster.

If there is, it must be some kind of extraplanar consciousness, because such a concideration just does bot exist in the code.

5. one2tieyourshoe

one2tieyourshoe Warlord

I don't have one, unfortunately, I will start trying to remember saving a few turns before this and then after this point.

6. Refar

Refar Deity

There shuold be autosaves - unless you changed the settings, the game does one every 4 turns. ->MyGames\Beyond The Sword\Saves\Single\auto\...

Don't get me wrong - it's not about not believing you - many people reported similar stuff (see oranges above). It just should not be possible from the code, so a save would be very interesting to toy around with, to see how it happens - hopefully.

7. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

The longstanding "humans win all ties" was abolished with Civ IV. Starting with Civ IV things changed from everything built at the begining of the turn counter turn to as everybody's turn comes around their buildings get built. So you were beat out by one turn.

If you don't have locked resources on, you can go back to the turn you had one turn remaining and should see them with one turn remaining as well.

8. one2tieyourshoe

one2tieyourshoe Warlord

Okay, I looked. I have a autosave from 4000 BC and then one from 1600 BC. None in between. And Hinduism was founded between these two time periods.

9. Refar

Refar Deity

I think 4000BC would be too early... lots of stuff happen in between. A pity :cry:

The building hammers (and research and so on) are appileid the moment you hit "End Turn". It goes like this:
    Player 1 moves his units. Player 1 Hits "End Turn". Player 1 gets his hammers, Science,... Applied.
    Player 2 moves his units. Player 2 Hits "End Turn" and gets all the stuff applied.
    Player 3, ... N moves, ends turn,
    Player 1 gets notified about finished builds, techs and gets prompted to choose new builds, techs...
    Player 1 moves his units. While moving units, Player 1 gets to see the messages about what happened since he hit "End Turn"

If you can't read code you can illustrate it in a experiments (Set it up in WB if you want):
    You can whipp a Unit in a city that is going to be attaked - you will see the notification about the unit beeing built later on your next turn, but the unit will be avaiable to defend the city from attack during AI turn.

Meaning that if you hit the "End Turn" button, while it says "1 Turn left" (for tech, wonders, whatever) you get this. There is just no other player beeing processed before the build/tech is applied.
    If you were beaten by 1 turn, you would have seen the message saying "Religion founded somewhere else" while your tech bar is displaying "1 left".

There is however a slight delay in displaying the message, so if you was playing fast - as those are early game turns - you might have seen the message too late. You can however check the log - all messages are added to the log - before you actually see them.

10. one2tieyourshoe

one2tieyourshoe Warlord

This quite possibly could be the reason. :blush:

11. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

As Refar has explained, this simply should not be possible. If you're moving your units and have one turn to go on building or research, the immediate next phase when you end turn is your construction/research completion.

Testing has shown that overflow beakers/hammers has no effect in the event of a tie. In single player the turn order is fixed, so there's no way that could be the cause.

I'd agree the most likely situation is that the religion was founded last turn, and there was a lag on the message being displayed.

12. GravityWave

GravityWave Deposed Emperor

I think it says on the Religious Adviser screen in what year the religion was founded, so he should be able to check.

In every game I've been beaten to a wonder with 1 turn to go it's been because I've been playing with a custom map and was in the slot below the other civ.

13. totallycres

totallycres Chieftain

14. kamigawan

kamigawan Warlord

One possibility is that the message log that pops up saying "founded in a distant land" was actually from the turn before. If you have several announcements from a turn (for example, barbarians spotted near a town, privateers, ), they default list one-at-a-time fairly slowly (about a 1 second delay between each announcement)

For example: it is totally possible to have hinduism be founded in 3000 BC but the hit the "next turn button" before all the announcements from that turn have appeared. The year will advance to 2960 BC but still be finishing the announcements of 3000 BC.

Another example of a delay that I noticed is that when you have vassals and you declare war on a 3rd party, the announcement pop-up often delays the "declaration of war" to the following turn, even though the diplomatic status states war on the current turn.