1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Founding vs Not Founding Balance

Discussion in 'General Balance' started by Stalker0, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

G,

I was curious if you have stats on this from your AI tests.

If we breaks civs into 3 categories:

1) Founded
    2) Not Founded, but got a holy city through conquest.
    3) Never got a holy city.

I was wondering how often bucket 3 wins the game? We always say religion is strong, I was curious if there was a big correlation between getting a religion and winning the game.

2. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

#2 is usually the strongest, as civ is a zero sum game and taking a holy city is a double-whammy. Obviously 1 is stronger than 3. I guess I'm not sure what you expected.

G

3. Ziad

Ziad Emperor

Probably because the AI can't construct a coherent religion to save them sometimes so it doesn't matter who makes it :p ... They can be ruthlessly effective though sometimes... Gazebo's work I would think.

Anyway the point is that the player can tailor their religion to their own conditions, so it's not a strict 1:1 comparison.

4. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Mainly, I’m looking at the degree. Clearly having a religion is stronger than not having one, but is it so strong you affectively can’t win without it?

That is why I was curious if ai in Bucket spacethree were actually winning games

5. IcyAngel

IcyAngel Prince

My affects do lose it bigly when I get beat to the last religion...

tu_79 and Ziad like this.
  6. Gothic_Empire

Gothic_Empire AKA, Ramen Empire

I actually had this same question -- if the opportunity cost of founding too high compared to the founder / follower bonuses left over for you? I.E., is there every a situation where #2 is infeasible, but the religious beliefs leftover make faith not worth its cost to acquire. And then, in such a situation, can you strategy leave you more powerful for simply ignoring religion until it comes time to decide which one of the sets of follower beliefs you get?

7. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

In other words, can a civl win a game if it loses the religion game and lacks the power to conquer a holy city early?