Fountain of Youth occurance rate?

Fredgerd

Warlord
Does anyone know the percentage of maps the fabled Fountain of OP turns up on? I've logged a good 700 hours or more in this game (not sure cause steam reset them at some point) and have yet to see it.

750 hours and I saw it for the first time in my current Minor League. +10 happiness just in your cultural border without work the tile, it's amazing.

1/100

I saw it two times.

Weirdly I've actually had it a couple of times, definitely at least 4 - once right by my borders as Persia. The one civ who gets the double healing rates anyway!

Still yet to see King Solomon's Mines though.

This kind of looks like reality as man's eternal quest in finding the fountain of youth.

If you check the XML files...search in this path ....Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common ....plus a few more directories. The files are called CIV5Features and there are three different files...

If you look around in these files you will find the occurrence rate for all the natural wonders.

FoY is the rarest... 1 chance in 100 in a totally random map that it will appear somewhere. [...though I'm not sure how "random" any particular map is.] As rare as it is, it also has to appear near enough to your spawn location to be meaningful in the earlier part of the game when it gives you quite a kick towards Golden Ages and such.

I certainly don't turn my nose up at it if I find it early, but, playing as Spain, I would much rather find KSM ...occurrence rate 4, or LV occurrence rate 10..... or Kilimanjaro or Uluru, both at 10/100.... Then, of course, being the first to find Eldorado...2/100... as Spain is meaningful mainly for the 1000G it gives you.

I've seen it once. It was on the other side of the continent I spawned on, so I marched a settler over there to get it. Of course Sweden got mad, war ensued and I lost the city because it was on the other side of the continent I was on.

I've found El Dorado twice before. Fountain of youth I don't remember but there are 2 great barrier reefs when in reality there's one in the world.

The good thing with the Great Barrier is they come always together. So +2 happiness :)

I've found El Dorado twice before. Fountain of youth I don't remember but there are 2 great barrier reefs when in reality there's one in the world.

That's because the Great Barrier Reef is meant to be larger than other wonders (two tiles wide). They always spawn together so just consider it one wonder that takes up two potential wonder slots.

As for Fountain of Youth.... despite it's low occurrence (1/100), I've seen it quite frequently on large maps. I know I'd seen it in at least 10% of the games I played using the original Civ 5 civs (after it was added, of course). And of my last three games using the DLC empires, it's appeared twice (my Mongol game it was 6 or so tiles from my starting position and I pooped my second city next to it and my current Spain game - started near Korea, they lost their city to Portugal who never re-settled so I snagged it for the happiness - 20 as Spain - and plan on sending all my units to visit when I get Airports)... only my Babylon game lacked it (but that one had KSM, El Dorado and the GBR).

Top Bottom