1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Four neighbours of the apocalypse

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Bibor, May 9, 2019.

1. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

Cleopatra, Kupe, Pedro, Wilhelmina.

Maybe it's just me, but whenever I see one of these four, I drop any plans I had, and start a massive army buildup.

Kupe has a special place in my heart. I plan everything out and then he sails in 10 turns later and ruins everything.

2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

The title feels wrong.
    Scythia, Nubia, Mongolia and Hungary are my neighbors of the Apocalypse
    You cannot use something that sounds like horsemen of the apocalypse and then provide some bad civs to fill the saddle.
    I’m a bit cautious of Cleo. Give me Spain, England, Canada or Georgia over them anytime... and that’s with me riding the white horse and the red horse.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  3. knighterrant81

knighterrant81 Chieftain

I think by Apocalypse, he means "drop everything, and quickly become all four horsemen of THEIR apocalypse". Pedro has got to be at the top of my list of "most conquered" neighbor civs.

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  4. kb27787

kb27787 Chieftain

Nubia... And Korea... My most hated neighbors whose agendas are almost impossible to fulfill early.

Cleo is the same but at least she feeds my caravans so I don't mind her as much.

Phoenix1595 likes this.
  5. Victoria

indeedy that is what I believe but the title indicates they are the horsemen in my eyes, twas a small thing.
    And on deity early it does feel sometimes like you have 4 horsemen of teh apocalypse around you, just not so much nowadays
    @kb27787 Korea can be quite annoying with agendas early agreed. I just about included monty in my 4 horsemen but his early agenda is fine.... normally

6. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Warlord

Which is why it should be Scythia, Mongolia, Hungary, and Sumeria. As those 4 literally ride in on horses (donkeys) and bring nothing but ruin with them.

Victoria likes this.
  7. Victoria

We have 2 donkeys. They are not the best ride and certainly more apologetic than apocaleptic.
    Those sumerians got it right, by carting into action. I guess 3 horses and an Onager cart is good enuf for any havoc I would wreak and the cart could carry rather a lot of pestilence.

8. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Warlord

Slight digression, but the Onager, or Asian Wild Ass, has never been domesticated. Already over 25 years ago scientists studying the pictorial evidence for the Sumerian/Mesopotamian 'war carts' suggested that in fact they were drawn by domesticated donkeys or mules. Since in Hittite and other Middle Eastern records of the time the mule was valued higher than even a chariot horse (3 times higher among the Hittites, 7 times higher than the donkey in Babylon), my vote is for mules. The onager is faster than any of the other equines except the thoroughbred horse, but that doesn't help you if the onagers are all trying to pull the cart in different directions.

As for the Four Equines of the Apocalypse: Sumeria, Hungary, Brazil, and Nubia are the ones that always cause me to change my early game, both in military and diplomatic aspects. Later in the game Korea, Mongolia, and France under Eleanor have been the most dangerous, but it gets very situational: one of them on the far side of the one nearest to me can keep both of them so occupied that neither one bothers me at all!

Phoenix1595 and Victoria like this.
  9. Phoenix1595

Phoenix1595 Lord of the Two Lands

I can deal with most of them, except Nubia. Nubia is so wonderful to play, but then play a game with Amanitore next door, and just shoot me in the head. The Pitatis are beasts, her cities are production powerhouses, she forward settles and she is just plain mean!!!