Fox-30: The Sly Fox

Boring turnset.......

Settled in the stone... IMHO a sooner GW is worth the less optimal city ( even then the city will not be that bad )
Spoiler :

Finished IW....... and choosed myst ( to unlock the UB ). And where is the iron?
Spoiler :

But the RNG thinked it was too much of luck for us and decided to give us a nice slave revolt :gripe:
Spoiler :

Found Saladin land:
Spoiler :

And lost both our exploring units... notice yellow border in second screenie
Spoiler :

Finished my turnset with this:
Spoiler :

We're teching Pottery to get some cottages on... we have good land for cottage spam and we should IMHO avoid wonders for a while to not pollute our GSpy pool ;) ( cottage spam with a Phi leader ... :hammer2: ... someday someone will run a SE with a Fin leader :eek: ... Ok , I've done that in 2 SG :p )

IMHO we should press in settlers and workers ( lots of workers ) and tech towards CoL ( not sure if we want to try Oracling it ).

Nice set. Great work with the GW :goodjob:

If we're going to spam settlers, we should throw together some form of dotmap of our land to maximize GP farms.

Got it for tomorrow.

I'm pretty releaved we got the Big Brick Wall.

Plan is to get many cities now. Meaning some doggies, settlers and some workers. I prefer settling the land first. With EE even more.

Techwise: finish Pottery, tech Writing, ABC, currency, math/CoL? Or Writing, Priesthood, CoL, ABC for oracle. I don't like building more early wonders. I think we should steal CoL and tech Maths. We won't get discounts for stealing maths (the AI will have soon) but get lots of trades for CoL. Also another priority is calendar.

RE city placement: I'd like to see some dotmap. I'm not confident of providing one but clearly will comment :p I already pointed out a great GPFarm earlier, west of our capital. We'll also want some gems (for forges. They'll provide 6 :) :drool:. In which direction should we expand first to get as much land as possible?

Doesn't look bad. Green seems to be winning foodwise. Should we try to run the slider 100%, adopt CS and go Merchantcrazy? I'm not looking at the save now but I believe we need to settle red dot first so we don't lose it to america. Followed by blue, green, yellow?

I'll play when more players chimed in.

America? I think you mean Alex (greek).

Yeah, Yellow. Pink and green seems pretty save. Red is under danger from Greeks, and Blue is under danger from Cambodia. White and Cyan are pretty long shot, due to the range of peaks to our west.

Mysty, we have to run 0% once we get Alphabet, and we must get it in 4 more techs (not counting Pottery).

--

America? I think you mean Alex (greek).
yep

Mysty, we have to run 0% once we get Alphabet, and we must get it in 4 more techs (not counting Pottery).
do you mean that ABC must be the 4th tech or can it be simply one of those 4 techs?

do you mean that ABC must be the 4th tech or can it be simply one of those 4 techs?

No, and no. :D

First "no": it need not be the 4th Tech after Pottery. It can be the 3rd, or 2nd (not first, because we need writing at the least ;)).

Second "no": it cannot be one of the 4 techs ... because if say it is the 3rd tech, then there is no 4th tech (science is switched to 0%).

Well I should've said differently then, how I meant it is that it should be the 4th tech (to keep teching as long as possible).

Played 16 turns, 1900BC - 1500BC

Inherited turn
Switch Cahokia to Worker
Whip Totem Pole at Poverty Point
My suggested tech path: (with Aest as a nice trading chip)

(3) 1825BC
Pottery > AH
Whip Worker at Cahokia for 1 pop

(7) 1725BC
Get a RE

These suck so badly early :mad: Now my timing has to be adjusted... :rolleyes: I've been timing the rax and a dog to finish when cahokia grows back to size 6 so we can get 2 settlers 2pop-whipped without having to regrow.
Cahokia Rax > Dog

(8) 1700BC
Following turn, another stupid RE :suicide:. At least this one isn't so bad (the hit will go away some time...) Still, this ambassador will be the first to be whipped for a settler :whip:

I also open borders with Shaka this turn

(11) 1625BC
Judaism FIDL (by Sury)

(13) 1575BC
Cahokia Dog > Settler

(16) 1500BC
Writing > Aest

---

Some stuff:
RE workers: I cottaged the truffles tile as we won't be able to irrigate it until CS and the tile is too nice not to be improved.
I also connected rice and deer as our cities were suffering :yank:. One worker is about to mine the gold hill (and connect it) and then road towards red dot. I don't really like red dot. It'll take forever to get some produciton going there...
The other worker is pasturing the pigs:

Note: 1) religious diversity :hammer: 2) barb city near blue dot. We'll have to raze it before we settle it. OTOH sury won't settle there soon :)

Capital:

As you can see, 21 turns until GSpy and 6 until settler. I think we should 2pop-whip him and whip another settler just after that (as I described above).

RE army:
We have a woody warrior Northwest. I think he should fogbust in the region of our next cities and eventually scout some more. The dog is on the way to red dot. Cahokia and Poverty point are both protected by 1 archer each (not that they really needed it).

RE techs:
I say we should tech Aest first so we can backfill stuff like Maths or construction. We can delay ABC as we neither have the EPs nor the production to start stealing techs.

BTW I marked the spots of Fox' dotmap

... one last thing: Now I really feel at home here, I even found the Alpes :cooool:

Roster:
GreyFox - UP NOW
Ruff Hi - on deck
Berserks
Jabah
Rolo
mystyfly - just played

There is something strange going on with the numbers I noted (and the dates). I could swear I started on turn 84 and ended on 100 but it somehow doesn't fit :confused:

Good (better) luck to you, Mr Fox :hatsoff:
View attachment Fox30 BC-1500.CivBeyondSwordSave

I picked aesthetics so we can
1) build the SPaya if we want. We have gold and it saves us stealing monotheism and theocracy. Also we'll get Pac and FR earlier. We only need to steal cheap meditation.
2) trade it around. We can probabely research one turn into alphabet and then turn research and esp off so we have cash to afford maintenance. We can use aesth to trade for maths, calendar, abc.

This is merely a suggestion. Most of the points in this post I've already written down in my report btw..

Ok, I think Aesthetics is excellent choice. So, we continue pursuing Mona Lisa's smile ... ...

The setter was shipped at the last instance before it would become a 1-pop whip, ... contrary to what I said earlier, I decided to settle green first.

Reason is because if we had gone red dot first, the whole city would stagnant until the end of time ... well not exactly, until we cut most jungles away to be precise, but it sure will feel like until the end of time.

Green, on the other hand, has rice, phants, and pigs to work on, which can combat the jungles unhealthiness while growing.

In the mean time, our scouting fox brings back news of a guarded hut in the northwest.

Our archer joined in a multi-nation effort in staring at the the barbies ... that's what they call it, an eye for an eye, one archer staring at one barbie each.

Well, nobody seems to want to make a first move. I suggest we gather some army and a settler and go raze that barb city and immediately settle blue dot.

Oh, we had some open borders signing ....

And this is the reason why I think Aesthetics is an excellent choice :thumbsup:

We should trade for ABC, then further get other possible trades. Remember to turn science to 0% after getting alphabet.

A great spy is abt to be born as well ... by conventional wisdom, the first spy almost certainly should be settled (while the second build the Scotland Yard). However, here, since we are going to turn science to 0% almost the same as the spy appears (and presumably turn Esp up to at least 50%), it might not be so clear cut as to whether settling the great spy is better than the scotland yard.

Ruff is UP

Attachments

• Fox30-BC-1050.CivBeyondSwordSave
    118 KB · Views: 75
I think SY > settling here. Let's get some trades done, set up for stealing techs, build some units and settle the land.

Ruff, you've got lots of work coming :goodjob:

hmmn - got it. Will look at the save this morning and see if a plan forms. Will try to play this evening or tomorrow.

Edit: One thing that I have noticed re the HOF mod (as opposed to BUG), is that the adviser screens utilize the full width of the screen instead of the default (1024 pixels) width. We've changed that for the tech selector (F6) but not for any of the other screens (ok, maybe F1). I'm going to take a look at the screens and see which ones we should widen and which ones we can pass on.

All things BUG are optional (or they should be :D).

Re the game - we have 3 cities and 3 workers. Rainforest calls for more workers than a 1:1 ratio in the early game. I typically slave workers together and road jungle tiles first - then have a second set that comes in a clears the jungle. Roading first saves 1 movement turn (you should see India on this mapscript - move, road, cut almost at the same time.

We have 1 settler that has just started - continue or swap to worker? Some of our cities are particularly hammer challenged - those cities could pump workers at will. I am considering swapping the 1 hammer per turn granary to a worker.

We have a fair bit of fog (the actually black, never explored stuff) to our South and East - I will try and get some of that explored.

If I finish a settler - where should he go? I'm going to look for a heavy hammer (lol) site that we can use to pump military.

Finally - we don't have gold ... we have a gold mine but no road and all of the workers are down South at the new city.

Top Bottom