Fox News is Hilarious - Beer Edition

I actually agree with those complaints. If they didn't want to use the words "by their creator" then they shouldn't have even bothered quoting the Declaration of Independence at all in their commercial.

Not that I would buy Sam Adams beer anyway, for reasons recently stated in another thread.

*cough* said:
the Beer Institute Advertising Code advises against using “religion or religious themes” for marketing purposes.

To me this just reads as a bunch of idiots trying to make a fuss about something that isn't an issue in order to create controversy and attract more viewers. A never ending cycle of idiots outraging idiots outraging idiots. In the end you get old men yelling at clouds and more advertising dollars for Fox News

VRWCAgent said:
Not that I would buy Sam Adams beer anyway, for reasons recently stated in another thread.

But Sam Adams is the best "big name" American beer you can buy outside of the U.S.! It's one of the only ways for me to sit back, take a sip of something, and say "mmmmm.. America"

Like a killer!
Wow, that's like super-serial.
There are more important things than taste, though. Besides, beer sucks.
Hey hold on a minute! That's is my image of you you are messing with. You are behind a barbecue grilling big steaks while listing to country and having a beer.

You got that young man?

Whiskey sour, my man, whiskey sour!

I'm curious though, what's wrong with Sam Adams? Are their beers brewed by 12 year olds or something?
It's not the beer per se. It's their advertising to begin with. As I said earlier today in the American flag thread, I take issue with companies that try to tie their product to blatant ra ra patriotism. It's insulting.

It's not the beer per se. It's their advertising to begin with. As I said earlier today in the American flag thread, I take issue with companies that try to tie their product to blatant ra ra patriotism. It's insulting.
And you consider Sam Adams to be an example of this based on a single ad pointing out where they got their name? But if they praised your god in this context, as though it is actually relevant, it would then be acceptable?

In case you didn't notice, the overly patriotic types don't typically drink Sam Adams. They probably even think it is imported and only "liberals" drink it.

I actually agree with those complaints. If they didn't want to use the words "by their creator" then they shouldn't have even bothered quoting the Declaration of Independence at all in their commercial.
They weren't actually quoting, though, they were paraphrasing. Compare,
...[t]hat all men are created equal, that they are endowed [...] with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
With,
[A]ll men are created equal. They are endowed with certain unalienable rights: life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
It's close, but it's not a direct quote, so their decision not to quote the words "by their Creator" can't really be construed as self-censorship.

To be honest, advertising codes aside, it seems to me that they were just trying to get something a bit snappier, what with this being a beer commercial produced in 2013, and not a political declaration published in 1776.

Or a statement of faith vastly more suited to an American evangelical church or Republican politician than a beer ad in a supposedly secular country.

And you consider Sam Adams to be an example of this based on a single ad pointing out where they got their name? But if they praised your god in this context, as though it is actually relevant, it would then be acceptable?

In case you didn't notice, the overly patriotic types don't typically drink Sam Adams. They probably even think it is imported and only "liberals" drink it.
Yes, one single ad does make them an example of this. They blew it. And no, quoting it correctly would not have made it right. It just makes it a double whammy against them. IF you're going to improperly use the Declaration of Independence in your advertisement, at least do it correctly and don't purposely leave God out because you have issues with religion.

They weren't actually quoting, though, they were paraphrasing. .
They were talking about the Declaration, they should have said it right. That's really all there is to it. It was a crap ad all the way around and they are rightly being called on it.

Why? Because I said so, that's why. Their advertisement failed utterly because in my specific case it has prompted me to never buy their beer. Not that it was likely anyway, but now it is a guaranteed 100% not happening.

Too bad, because it's just the advertising that's like that. I've visited their brewery in Boston before, and it's definitely oriented toward craft beer loving and James Koch worship. They are very well aware there that the craft brewing movement was kicked off by Koch's kitchen experiments, and want everyone to know what a beer-god he is.

Which is not to say I dislike the company. Much of their beer is good. It's not great, but it's good. But with the myriad flavors they churn out, it is very mass-market oriented. They may have been founded in protest of the mega-brewers of their day, but they are trying very hard to be The American Beer Company.

I would rate them below New Belgium, for example, who produces a somewhat wide range of beer, but all of dependably good quality. That may be because they're based in Colorado, though, and don't have lolpatriotism to naturally draw on like Boston Brewing Co. does.

Top Bottom