Fox06 -- Need For Speed

GreyFox

Make it so ...
Have been wanting to do this since Vanilla Civ, but Sooooo beat me to it. Anyway, Warlords have this stable thingy, and Mongolia made it sweeter by turning it into a Ger. So, here is the SG I have meant to start a year ago.

• Version: Warlords 2.08
  • Difficulty: Monarch, (or Prince, if AW)
  • Map: Pangea, Balanced
  • Speed: Epic
  • Civ: Genghis Khan, (Mongolia, Aggressive & Imperialistic)
  • Variant: Need for Speed
  • Victory: All enabled, but preferably Conquest/Dominations
  • Options: maybe AW, maybe Raging Barbarians, to be decided once roster is fixed

Alright, what the hell does "need for speed" means? Does it mean I am going to live up to my rumored reputation and really runs a SG that has a 24/48 timing ... in MINUTES? :eek:

:lol:

To most potential player's relief, no. I am not. *phew* Need for speed simply means one rule: only units with 2 or more movement points can leaveend their turns outside the city.

EDIT: variant rule amended slightly

What this essentially means is that we can only bring mounted units (excluding phants) to war. We could build archers and longbows, but they can only stay in the city they are built. Fortunately, all settlers, workers, and missionaries, have 2 movement points. So they can wander around (not much use building them if they can't, eh? :crazyeye:)

There is of course an exception (there is always an exception): siege engines. Sieges are allowed to leave cities. Hence pre-armor age, our attacking forces would only comprises of horses, cats and trebs ... no axes, no swords, no maces .... or is it?

Actually, answer is no. There are times when we can attack with a sword or mace ... and still comply to our variant rule. As to how, I leave that as an exercise.

So, who would join me in this ride?

Roster
  • GreyFox == the speedy
  • Rex Tyrannus == the horsey
  • Ralph Jackson == the smiley
  • Bede == the brotherly
  • ChrTh == Need for Speed(y delivery)
  • Maybe open, depending on sign ups

Normal SG etiquette applies. You may refer to Deviant Minds SG etiquette as guidelines.

--

There is of course an exception (there is always an exception): siege engines. Sieges are allowed to leave cities. Hence pre-armor age, our attacking forces would only comprises of horses, cats and trebs ... no axes, no swords, no maces .... or is it?

Actually, answer is no. There are times when we can attack with a sword or mace ... and still comply to our variant rule. As to how, I leave that as an exercise.
Too easy - when they leave the city on a boat. Which raises the question ... if the unit leaves the city on a boat, gets off, can it still go off to war or is it stuck at its embarkation location?

Note: this is NOT a sign up.

well, it's a pangaea map, so unless there's a lot of lakes/inland water we're not going to be able to use the boats that much

Sign me up, I've been injecting myself in the ass with horse steroids for the last six months, just on the off-chance someone would make this game. :)

lurker's comment: the one movement unit can attack stacks outside the city since they would start and end the turn in the city.

Question, what about one-movement units with promotions that allow them to move X2 on certain terrains? Also, would it violate the spirit of the game to turtle up until gunships, tanks, bombers, and nukes?

Question, what about one-movement units with promotions that allow them to move X2 on certain terrains?
No, they are still one-movement units. If these are allowed, then units travelling on roads should also be allowed.

Also, would it violate the spirit of the game to turtle up until gunships, tanks, bombers, and nukes?

Hmm .. I wouldn't say it violates the spirit, but then we would have wasted all those horsey steroids, wouldn't we? ;)

I got it!

One of our cities is culturally overtaken by another Civ, so the troops get moved to a different location from which they can strike!
or
We build a city next to an opposing Civ's city

PS: I'm guessing rally points are disabled. What about if a Hut gives us a Unit? Has to head to the nearest city? Can never enter a city?

@ChrTh, if we lose a city via crappy culture, we lose whatever units are in it too. ALso, you can't build a city within three tiles of another.

@Fox, what about when the barbs come a pillagin'? Are we aloud to use longbows to protect our horses? Also, with raging barbs, how can we protect our settlers?

My vote is for prince, as monarch will be really hard, especially if we don't have horses near our capital.

Ruff: Nice try, but no. Leaving the city on a vessel is still "leaving a city", which violates the variant if it is not a siege or does not have >2 movement points.
Boo Hiss - the 1 movement unit isn't leaving the city. He just fell asleep on this boat thing and when he woke up ... there was no more city. The boat is a 2 movement unit and it can leave the city.

Ok, how about ... airlift.

That should make the morale prom very useful.
Good think those keshkik are so good at producing GG ;)

not a sign-up btw. already in 2 SG, but i like this variant, and mongolia is the right civ to do it i think

Lol, good luck :) Balanced is a good idea to ensure you have horses, so no need to peak in the worldbuilder like I had to. But allowing siege weapons? Wouldn't that just mean your attacking stacks have to move at the same speed as them, thus negating some of the Need for Speed?

I advise No Barbarians because if your capital does not have horses then your second city has no barb defense except scouts.

Congrats to lukep, he got the answer. Here, have a :beer:

RE: siege, I am leaving it to the team. Attacking a city with 60% defense and a fortified spear will be pure mass suicide ... you won't put a dent on it with 20 horse archers. Of-course we still have the leeway to attach a warlord to a siege making it eligible to leave the city, and adhere to the true spirit of Need for Speed.

Rex said:
@ChrTh, if we lose a city via crappy culture, we lose whatever units are in it too.
Actually, no, I think the defenders will be injured (by the revolt) and stay in that city if there is OB, and teleported to the nearest border if there aren't OB. I haven't think of that situation. I say in that case, the defenders must head straight to the nearest city and stay there, unless of-course they are eligible to leave city in the first place.

Rex said:
@Fox, what about when the barbs come a pillagin'? Are we aloud to use longbows to protect our horses? Also, with raging barbs, how can we protect our settlers?
No, must use horses to protect.

Rex said:
My vote is for prince, as monarch will be really hard, especially if we don't have horses near our capital.
How about AW?

Top Bottom