1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Fractured Religious Landscape

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by MikeEdward, Apr 23, 2006.

1. MikeEdward

MikeEdward Chieftain

What are the implications if you have multiple religions active in your civ, with none being dominent? i.e., some Islam, some Buddhism, some Taoism, etc. Is there any benefit internally, with all cities being of the same faith? I know some wonders and improvements focus on cities with what the computer thinks is your 'dominant' religion, but that aside, for regular game play, what are the advantages of having every city practice the same fait?

2. d_griffin

d_griffin Chieftain

The advantages of having more than one religions in city are more than one:

1. You can build temple for each of the religions, and so get +1 culture and happiness

2. For each three temples (of same religion) you can build a dome of the religion (Cathedral, Sinaguoge, etc.) in one of the cities. The dome gives +50% culture bonus. If you have just one religion and 9 cities, you can build up to 3 domes. But if you have 3 religions, you can build 9 domes - in different cities, or just in "choosen cities".

3. If you have discover the religions, you can build the special building in the main religion city (the city marked with star). This building gives you +1 gold for each city where the religion has been spread.

4. When convert to "Free religion" each religion gives to the city +1 Culture.

I Hope this helps. :goodjob:

3. tomemos

tomemos Chieftain

The only disadvantage to having multiple religions that I've found is that, if a rival has a shrine for that religion, then 1) you're making money for him, and 2) he can see into your city. And even that's a conditional disadvantage, since your rival might not have the shrine...and if he does, you could always take it from him.

4. Black Waltz

Black Waltz Prince

Another disadvantage is that if a city does NOT have your state religeon then they will not recieve the state religeon benefits.

5. butlerj1982

butlerj1982 Chieftain

Having all cities the same faith is useful to make the most of certain civics. Theocracy and Organized Religion, for example, will be much less useful if your cities have religion scattered everywhere. Having a consistent religion in all cities will allow you to get the most out of state-religion powered civics.

6. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

In addition:
    • Having >1 religion in a city with a science focus lets you build monasteries there, for a +10% research boost, as well as the temples that d_griffin mentioned.
    • By the time the monasteries' research boost becomes obsolete, you're probably just about ready for the Free Religion civic. Under this civic, not only do you get +1 culture for each religion in a city, you also get +1 happy citizen for each one as well, and you can still use the monasteries to create missionaries and spread each religion. (On an unrelated note, Free Religion also makes other civs with different state religions than your former one a lot happier with you diplomatically.) The downside is that you lose the line-of-sight intelligence in each foreign city with your state religion, since you no longer have a state religion.

7. Older than Dirt

Older than Dirt King

The AI sees into all of your cities anyway, so having another civs state religion in one of your cities has no real effect in that regard.

8. The Keeper

The Keeper Warlord

I often have various religions spreadding throughout my empire before I decide on one. So I will remain on paganism for a while.

Under paganism and Free Religion, each religion in a city gives +1:culture: So if you conquer another city, it doesn't matter if it has your state religion in it or not. Since you dont have a state religion, they get the :culture: bonus anyway.

Once I spread my religion of choice (usually whichever shrine I have), then I will convert to that religion and change religious civics to fit my strategy at the time.