France and Germany - Thoughts.

AljayBoy

Warlord
As you probably know, we have made contact with France and Germany, their leaders are Napoleon (Aggressive/Industrious) and Bismarck (Expansive/Industrious). Just wondering what everyone's views are on our two neighbours with regard to our diplomatic relations.

To repeat a point I made in the Imperial Guard forum, I'd recommend we set our sights on the French if we are to go to war for expansive/resource based or for any other reason that occurs. This is because of Napoleon's Aggresive trait and that his UU comes before the German's Panzers.

On a less warlike note, none of these civs are Spiritual which therefore gives us a better oppertunity to go for Mysticism and then Polytheism to found Hinduism and spread it to both France and Germany and get them on our side.

It also means we are gonna have a tough time getting Wonders with these two Industrious nations, although with the Stone resource nearby there is hope for some.

Thoughts?

Atleast they can build wonders for us! :)

Well it was interesting durring the turnchat the Daveshack told us that both the french and the german warriors came from our west or northwest. This could mean a number of things, but it gives us a good possibility of having expansion room to the east. I'd like to see where the other civs are before we begin planning their destruction. But I would agree that Napoleon is more threatening because of his agressive characteristic.

In my single player civ game I always seem to have a problem with Napoleon, no idea why, that could just be a personal problem.

Also there were no reports of a religion being founded so I agree with your idea that there is more promise in moving towards founding a religion.

Napoleon is more threatening since he likes to declare war, and even though Bismark is no Ghandi, he's extremely easy to control (as long as he cautious or above of you, he won't declare war.)

One thing to clarify, we met them NW, but there is a remote chance the German scout could have transited from the east after our scout cleared the area. I'd still bet on west for both, but we can't bank on it till we see borders.

We should be on our guard when dealing with these two nations. France will be on an imperialistic edge and will have no qualms on invading their neighbors where as Germany will spit out settlers like there is no tomorrow to take claim. This would be a concern if we want to nab an important resource.

If they are both to the west does that mean that we should set our sites on expanding that way first? To have a bit of a buffer between these nations and our capital

Long term: I fear Bismarck, look at his empire in DG1. We should try to get Napoleon and him to fight, and we should support Nappy.

I disagree. I think we should bribe Bismark into a fight with Napoleon, and support Bismark. Eventually were going to have to get rid of Napoleon, he's just too dangerous. If we can get them to fight long drawn out wars against each other, we will be safe, and will be ahead in tech, as well as have time to build a nice sized army to take out one of them (hopefully Napoleon.)

I disagree. I think we should bribe Bismark into a fight with Napoleon, and support Bismark. Eventually were going to have to get rid of Napoleon, he's just too dangerous. If we can get them to fight long drawn out wars against each other, we will be safe, and will be ahead in tech, as well as have time to build a nice sized army to take out one of them (hopefully Napoleon.)

And Bismark won't be able to build a powerful empire while at war.

If they are both to the west does that mean that we should set our sites on expanding that way first? To have a bit of a buffer between these nations and our capital

Yeah I'd agree with this sentiment, getting a a one city deep layer between our captial and them should be a high priority. As well as being a buffer between them and our capital it also leaves less room for them to expand into, causing them to settle further afield and therefore, from a militaristic perspective, more difficult for them to defend.

And as they are probably to the west of us, settling in the east doesn't need to be rushed.

No we need to fight...if we dont fight we dont get promotions. Promotions are teh only reason to have units to upgrade and thats the key to the late game.

Napoleon can be trouble so we should target his territory for assimilation. But because we are Mongols - and experts at annexation - I suggest we seriously consider conquering our continent.

Napoleon can be trouble so we should target his territory for assimilation. But because we are Mongols - and experts at annexation - I suggest we seriously consider conquering our continent.

I'm up for that ;) , have you joined the Imperial Guard yet Bertie? Thats where all the best Mongolian military minds are gathering and the best place for us to plan our military dominance.

:ar15:

I agree whole-heartedly. If we can manage a continental domination before people get astronomy, then we should have wiped out a few civs without worrying about the dreaded "you declared war on our friend" statement.

Funny as it seems, I never had a problem with Nappy, because he only appear once in a settler game! :lol: So, I had no problem killing his musketeers. ;)

I'd be a bit concerned with continental domination plans, I always seem to get killed by maitenence costs, but hey I'm sure people will keep an eye on that, and I doubt the military guys will mind burning a few cities if we need to.

It seems to me that Napoleon will make demands any time he has a power advantage, and will not hesitate to declare war on a weaker neighbor if his demands aren't met. I don't have as concrete a read on Bismarck, but he seems pretty aggressive as well.

We can't receive any demands for a while, at least until someone has Alphabet or we have open borders so a demand to cancel them is enabled. Still we should start thinking about whether we're going to cave, or refuse and then hope we can close any power gap before the inevtiable war comes.

I agree with Ice. We need to get those two fighting and then take Bismark's side. But we should wait 10-20 turns before joining the fight. Let them use up their good units on each other, then we can sweep into France. Get a bunch of promotions for our units and use those units to take out Bismark.

And although we will take over our continent, nothing says we have to keep all of those cities. We are Mongolian. We should burn any city that doesn't look like it's in a perfect spot or has a Wonder we want. With our expansion capabilities we can resettle the land after the war.

I'd be a bit concerned with continental domination plans, I always seem to get killed by maitenence costs, but hey I'm sure people will keep an eye on that, and I doubt the military guys will mind burning a few cities if we need to.

Yes, maitenence will be costly. But it will not matter for with tons of cities and tons of librarys, raising taxes and lowering research will still leave us ahead of the curb. Our empire will reach across the world, and when we have communism, we shall be able to invade other continents. As for razing cities, the worthless tribes that call themselves "countries" shall flee before our might as we tear down their ancient structures and settlements!

Top Bottom