France attacks my friend Siam, Siam don't want me to attack France

eXeel

Chieftain
Morocco and France (1500 points) attacked my friend Siam (800 points), who I just gave back his capital after joining him in a war against Indonesia earlier.

No I suggest a trade where I give "War: France" to him, I don't want anything back. He isn't up for the trade. Huh? Why doesn't he gladly accept me helping him?

I know I can just attack them anyways, but it's not that realistic. I would happily pay something to get help, if I was in the situation :)

Morocco and France (1500 points) attacked my friend Siam (800 points), who I just gave back his capital after joining him in a war against Indonesia earlier.

No I suggest a trade where I give "War: France" to him, I don't want anything back. He isn't up for the trade. Huh? Why doesn't he gladly accept me helping him?

I know I can just attack them anyways, but it's not that realistic. I would happily pay something to get help, if I was in the situation :)

Sometimes the AI just doesn't know what's best for them.

The AI will never do any trades involving warfare with me ether :/ I mean really, if I hated a civ (in this case, France) I'd look around to see if anyone else will offer payment for the deed, but no-one seems to do this, regardless of how much they hate the third party. I don't think the AI can quite put together inter-civ relations other than their own :crazyeye:
(what I'm saying is they seem to only do is think about their relations, and no about who else hates or likes that civ) And if a civ does ask me if I'll join them in a joint war, they sit on the sidelines.....really. I've hardly ever seen an allied civs unit in combat.....and the the buggers whinge at me for taking all the cities!!! :hammer2: (so they ascend on my people to kill list)

The AI will never do any trades involving warfare with me ether :/ I mean really, if I hated a civ (in this case, France) I'd look around to see if anyone else will offer payment for the deed, but no-one seems to do this, regardless of how much they hate the third party. I don't think the AI can quite put together inter-civ relations other than their own :crazyeye:
(what I'm saying is they seem to only do is think about their relations, and no about who else hates or likes that civ) And if a civ does ask me if I'll join them in a joint war, they sit on the sidelines.....really. I've hardly ever seen an allied civs unit in combat.....and the the buggers whinge at me for taking all the cities!!! :hammer2: (so they ascend on my people to kill list)

Yeah, and then they get mad if you don't help them..

Yeah, and then they get mad if you don't help them..
In Civ IV they would get mad at you if you bribed their attacker to make peace with them, even if they were getting slaughtered. :crazyeye:

Plus, in Civ IV you could rack up huge negative modifiers if you didn't take sides in a long running war. Both sides would ask you to join the war on their behalf. And they would ask again later, and again later. Each time you refused, you would get a -1, which was cumulative. And, of course, their vassals would ask independently of them, so you would rack up negatives with the vassals as well. So you paid a price for not joining a war, and a big price if the war lasted a long time, as it sometimes did.

Civ V diplomacy, despite its problems, is a big improvement.

To be fair, how many times have you bribed other civs to attack another civ and stayed on the sidelines in the conflict? The computer doesn't want other computers dead necessarily, they just want the computers weakened. I might bribe the zulus to declare war against the mayans, but that doesn't mean I really want the Zulus to win the war!

In Civ IV they would get mad at you if you bribed their attacker to make peace with them, even if they were getting slaughtered. :crazyeye:

Plus, in Civ IV you could rack up huge negative modifiers if you didn't take sides in a long running war. Both sides would ask you to join the war on their behalf. And they would ask again later, and again later. Each time you refused, you would get a -1, which was cumulative. And, of course, their vassals would ask independently of them, so you would rack up negatives with the vassals as well. So you paid a price for not joining a war, and a big price if the war lasted a long time, as it sometimes did.

Civ V diplomacy, despite its problems, is a big improvement.

All I know is, I could actually win Civ IV without destroying everybody else... :mischief:

from what I noticed, AI will be willing to attack other AI if they have boarder clash, or if they have different ideologies late game. They are more willing to attack if their neighbor is weaker then them, if not, they will refuse.

Does not apply to warmongers tho, they will attack in most situations, sometimes even suicide bomb. :lol: Bribe Aztecs to attack Greece who is twice bigger then them? Sure. 30 turns later "Aztecs lost their capital" :lol:

Some civs want peace on earth so much that they aren't willing to pull more players into a war, even if it is to their benefit. Other civs are very aggressive about making large-scale warfare alliances. It is part of the flavor of the Civ 5 leaders. The more peaceful and honorable guys won't propose or accept DOWs in trades at all. Some, only if they are getting creamed. The more aggressive tactical wartime leaders will much trade DOWs more often, but it may cost you. The wild schizoid ones, monte, zulu, etc. who are rampaging around anyways, will frequently & gladly sell DOWs, and a cunning player can use this to distract them, bog them or someone else down, wipe out a culturally dominant player, or even send the schizoids themselves to their deaths.

if a civ does ask me if I'll join them in a joint war, they sit on the sidelines.....really. I've hardly ever seen an allied civs unit in combat.....and the the buggers whinge at me for taking all the cities!!! :hammer2: (so they ascend on my people to kill list)

This seems to be hit or miss. In my latest game (Huge, Emperor, Venice) most of the world jointly DOWed Theodora. Some civs like Persia who had previously assisted me (and taken one of her three cities) more or less sat this war out. However as I was bombarding her second city with my frigates Catherine swoops in with an absolutely massive navy and crowds me out taking it. Fortunately I had the foresight to move a privateer right up against her capitol before Catherine crowded me out of there as well. In that case the AI was so willing to help between the Russian navy and Incan army I couldn't get any troops close enough to fight.

Top Bottom