France - Catherine de Medici Thread

For reference, the new luxury:

Definitely looks like Dyes, what with the two differently coloured bottles and all.
Is this the one that people talk about as possibly being Lavender? Because, if that's Lavender, then Firaxis has the worst art team EVER. :mischief:

I agree, probably dies.

Is this the one that people talk about as possibly being Lavender? Because, if that's Lavender, then Firaxis has the worst art team EVER. :mischief:

I agree, probably dies.
:lol:

Sean Bean's death confirmed. By Lavender, in the Chateau.

But yeah, The other resource is obviously sugar (sugar canes) and represented by sugar cubes in a bowl.

all i can say is that if there was a civ with bonus to wonder construction in CiV it would have been a great civ for deity difficulty.

Anyway, i'm more hyped to play aztecs than france. despite being french.

And wth coast wonders right in the middle of plain countryside ?

You mean Egypt? Unless I'm missing a joke lol

It is important to note that France mid game bonuses have an important advantage over the early game bonuses. It don't lockdown France into a strategy from the start, France have flexibility in the early game and then it get to the mid game it is probably prepared to take advantage of its mid game bonuses.

France could very well forgo the early game wonders for more cities without losing anything in terms of unique power.

I agree, probably dies.

What 'dye plant' are they trying to show? It's not Madder, Lavender or Indigo, and it's certainly not a snail, mollusk or any of the other exotic dye sources...

Wait, maybe it's The Most Powerful Dye of the 16th Century, grown in Italy, exported to France, and almost unknown except by students of French History? :king:

I was really hoping to get Louis XIV, he would have look incredible with the civ6 art style. At least its not Napoleon again.

The Imperial Guard it's great, and very curious in that it's the opposite bonus from the redcoat, no musketeers this time!.

Chateaux is back, it was a cool UI, but did they loose the defense bonus?

The Wonder bonus does seem a bit lackluster.

Oddly enough the part I liked the best about France is the espionage part, besides giving you heads up on wonders and military buildups, it may actually let you find hidden agendas easier, and of course letting you play the diplo game to gain friends.

National Ability: Grand Tour - Gain a bonus when constructing midgame wonders. Gain extra tourism for every wonder.

China gets early game wonders, plus extra worker boost. Egypt gets boost all game for wonders built on rivers

Leader Ability: Ladies-in-waiting - Gain additional diplomatic information for every foreign civilization met. Researching Castles yields an additional spy.

fairly unique, hopefully the feature isn't as unnecessary as it seems to be

Unique Unit: Garde Impériale - Gain a bonus when fighting on the home continent of France, and garner Great General points from kills.

Don't the Americans get a bonus for all units on there continent?

Unique Infrastructure: Château - Must be built near a river. Provides culture, and special bonuses for being in the vicinity of wonders.

The Sphinx provides culture and faith. Doesn't have to be built near rivers, however with the build bonus they probably will be. Get adjancey bonus near Wonders

I don't know the order these civs were designed in but France got the short end of the stick. They don't offer a completely unique way to play, no military bonus to illustrate their ability to project power all around the world, no new way to play the culture game, they just have to compete with the other wonder gamers but they only get a lackluster era to work with.

Quick search leads me to think that the plant is indigo.

National Ability: Grand Tour - Gain a bonus when constructing midgame wonders. Gain extra tourism for every wonder.

China gets early game wonders, plus extra worker boost. Egypt gets boost all game for wonders built on rivers

Leader Ability: Ladies-in-waiting - Gain additional diplomatic information for every foreign civilization met. Researching Castles yields an additional spy.

Unique Unit: Garde Impériale - Gain a bonus when fighting on the home continent of France, and garner Great General points from kills.

Unique Infrastructure: Château - Must be built near a river. Provides culture, and special bonuses for being in the vicinity of wonders.

The Sphinx provides culture and faith. Doesn't have to be built near rivers, however with the build bonus they probably will be. Get adjancey bonus near Wonders

I don't know the order these civs were designed in but France got the short end of the stick. They don't offer a completely unique way to play, no military bonus to illustrate their ability to project power all around the world, no new way to play the culture game, they just have to compete with the other wonder gamers but they only get a lackluster era to work with.

It isnt particularly mentioned what those special chateau bonuses are though. To me it sounds like it is related to the wonder, like, a chateau next to the Great Library would get extra science.
Or it could even "mimic" the wonder's ability in very small scale.

Most powerful queen of the XVI century? Take that Elizabeth :crazyeye:

That statement seems to upset a lot of folks, but England was not one of the most powerful European states in the sixteenth century. It is probably fairly accurate.

Woooo, new info! And now is for my favourite culturemonger, France! Let's see what awaits us:

Leader: Catherine de Medici

Wow, I cannot believe it, Firaxis was indeed playing with us and we did solved the puzzle! O_O

As for the leader, welp, she was not a great leader historically talking, but she does fit the personality and the "refined french lady spymaster" trope, so it will be fun to play with her.

So that would mean a production bonus towards midgame wonders, or will they provide an extra bonus that they haven't specified / revealed yet?

Seems very flavourful, albeit a little tad weak UA. I think that a diplomatic, rather than spyionage bonus woud have fitted France much better, me thinks.

Interesting, so France can turtle easily, or go for a mid game military expansion push. Good, good flexibility here.

A cool spin on ye old Civ 5 chateau, I love how well it combines with France's wonder bonuses, but there's perhaps a bit too much overlap between Egypt and France's gameplay style. We will have to see these 2 civs in action in order to judge it.

JE CHOISIS LA VIOLENCE

This absolutely needs to happen :goodjob:

Why is anybody comparing Cersei and Catherine? Oh my, it really bothers me :crazyeye:

OT EDIT: Because GRRM clearly took inspiration from Margaret of Anjou and Elizabeth Woodville.

You never know, maybe France's bonus will be numerically more considerable. (I seriously hope they will be, at the moment they seem to be dicked over every possible way, there's nothing except tourism that the few other Civs revealed seem to do considerably better than they do)

China have to give up early game flexibility to use its wonder bonus while Egypt have to give up valuable river tiles to use its bonus. France bonus come around the time the critical expansion phase is over. The tourism bonus is very nice as well.

Hard to say, it could be extremely strong or very weak.

But no wonder bonus;)

We dont know the yield size or bonuses chateau get from wonders so we don't know how it compares to the Sphinx.

Why is anybody comparing Cersei and Catherine? Oh my, it really bothers me :crazyeye:

Queen regents fighting religious insurrections through violence and having a noteworthy spy network isn't exactly the most common trope.

I wouldn't say the comparison is undeserved, the Massacre at the Saint-Barthelemy can easily be seen as analogous to Cersei's wildfire plot during last season's finale.

Seems very flavourful, albeit a little tad weak UA. I think that a diplomatic, rather than spyionage bonus woud have fitted France much better, me thinks.

Well you can always warn another civ that Monty is building up to attack them. I'm willing to bet that the extra spy power will mean that France will know the hidden agendas of everybody earlier. That alone should help you persue a diplo game and reduce any chance of being backstabbed.

Look at this the other way around. From the civs we know so far, France is only civ which has bonuses in area no other civ touch (espionage). It's announcement made China, Egypt, America and England less unique, not France.

As of unique gameplay:
- Land play is different for France as you need to plan Wonder/Chateau blocks near river.
- We don't know espionage capabilities other than information. It may bring some unique gameplay.
- We don't know middle game Wonder bonuses. It's highly possible France could make sure bet of some middle-game Wonders for quite unique strategies.

I don't like CdM but the art is not bad. Furthermore I would have never guessed that France would get a bonus revolving around espionage, our spying network has never been one of the greatest but at least, the fresh breeze is welcomed.

Look at this the other way around. From the civs we know so far, France is only civ which has bonuses in area no other civ touch (espionage). It's announcement made China, Egypt, America and England less unique, not France.

As of unique gameplay:
- Land play is different for France as you need to plan Wonder/Chateau blocks near river.
- We don't know espionage capabilities other than information. It may bring some unique gameplay.
- We don't know middle game Wonder bonuses. It's highly possible France could make sure bet of some middle-game Wonders for quite unique strategies.

I agree, France has a cultural/wonder side, but the spionage/diplo side looks way more interesting, I think France will look much more interesting the more we know about spionage and diplo.

Top Bottom