France - Nostalgie de la Boue

Index

----------------------------------------------
Chapter 1: Democracy a la Mode
• 1760 - Fair Dalliance with the River Folk (Coming soon!)
• 1760 - Catholic Oppression in French Guiyana

Chapter 2: TBA

Italics are written by contributing writers

Info:

Statements made in the story are not historically accurate. This story takes place in an alternate history where France evolved into a republic in the 1400s, and became a full democracy in the 1750s when Louis XV abolished the central bureaucracies and installed direct democracy and representative elections. The story starts in 1760, with France the home of the Statue of Liberty, Protestantism, and the Sistine Chapel. Although France rapidly excelled economically and technologically, the acceleration is nearly over, and France is currently relative to 1780s-era technology. France controls Mexico, New France extends from the Great Plains of North America to north Brazil, Quebec is under strong control, and French colonies extend through Africa and Asia. Stability is declining though, and the vast French Republic is on the peak of its success, looking down into the ruins of civilization. Can the people of France succeed in history where previous Royal civilizations have tragically failed?

Helpful quotes from the story that may help establish environment:
Spoiler :

See, the world is not a good place anymore. Look at me! Blind in one eye and hopelessly addicted to opiates. Your Narrator wishes to tell you of how we got here. Let me start off at the peak of the French Republic, right after His Majesty Louis XV abolished the constitutional powers of the famille royale and installed a national assembly composed of local representatives and the Conseil des Ministres, composed of high ranking Protestant politicians. The year is 1760. It was a crossroads for French history. France's stability was dwindling due to recent political unrest, unstable neighbors, and rapid expansion. The economy, although better than the economic crashes in the decades before, was stagnating. France was an economic monopoly, with French merchants bringing in mountains of wealth from colonies far and wide. As France's Andean and Mexican colonies began to collapse, so did France's monetary system. When Louis XV finally reformed the mercantile system into a modern free market, liberalism and innovative ideas flooded the country but the economy never returned to its former glory.

At that time, some revolutionary movements were growing as Louis XV's extreme popularity clashed with his democratic reforms. There were pro-royalists, anti-royalists, conservatives and liberals, anti-church and pro-church, and most importantly, nobles and those who no longer recognized nobles. Paris, the capital of the Protestants, the city that stood up to the Vatican and told them "enough is enough!" was so successful in converting the world to protestantism, that there are only two Catholic nations left: Spain, and the Congolese territory. Nearly 40% of the world is Protestant. France still has blood on its hands from the prosecution of Catholics from Northern France, who eventually would settle in French Guiyana; there is strong resistance there, and strong prejudice.

The military is in flux. There is strong argument over whether nobles should still be acknowledged, and the mess of the French armies were made up of mercenaries, nobles, and standing army. The King still had control over the armies, although he no longer had control of the government. The Native attacks in the Louisiana Territory during Louis XV's reforms left tens of thousands of Frenchmen dead, and drew attention to His Majesty's faults, and the declining military power of France, and the rising instability of the republic. Currently, France has military campaigns in Southeast Asia, skirmishes with pirates around the world, stations in Mexico to prevent it from collapsing, and England's colonies are beginning to get aggressive next to the New French territory (which extend from Minneapolis to New Orleans).

Unlike my last story, this story will be rated teenager-and-up friendly. Please refrain from excessive imagery or vocabulary.

More informal comments and discussion can be redirected to this group discussion. Contact Royal for an invite to the group.

Optional:

You can give yourself an identity in this story. Simply post a picture, name, and bio and I will add it here. It will be added to the Hall of the Honored below, and I will incorporate your character into the story. Your decisions will drastically change the course of French history!

If you do that, I will contact you asking you how your character would respond to situations -- in fact, watching peoples' walls will give sneak peaks to the next story! Optionally, you could just contact me and tell me how you wish your character would react in the story.​

Hall of the Honored

Current Milieu (10):

Spoiler :
Jacques Picard = GreekAnalyzer

Bio: Picard is a member of the noblesse oblige, the rapidly forming middle class. He works as a simple blacksmith to support his family but also harbors resentment over his child dying in a carriage accident when a nobleman ran him over.

Ambroise Proulx = Trexeric

Bio: Ambroise is a soldier at heart, a master of strategy, and an avid chess player. With all his genius in the art of war, Ambroise does not pursue this calling and instead insists on writing stories and the sort, and makes his living as an author. Anyone who reads his stories can tell, however, that Ambroise has a deep understanding of the battlefield, and not a necessarily good writing ability.

François "le Chat Noir" Beauchene = TheNoob

Bio: François "le Chat Noir" Beauchene is possibly the most skilled assassin in France. He has only been in the trade for 5 years, but his skill exceeds his experience; many noblemen and others have fallen to the hands of François. However, after his first murder, he decided to send a message to the army, knowing he wouldn't get caught. The message was that he had killed Antoine Daladier, the mayor of his town, and was delivered on a black cat. From then on, he was known as "le Chat Noir."

"Le Chat Noir" was born in a small town in Brittany, and after he graduated from the local schooling that his parents paid for, he left. It took him a few years before he started work as an assassin, but he was a master sneak and strategist. "Le Chat Noir" started out with petty thievery, but then evolved into the most feared assassin in France.

He personally doesn't care for the army too much, seeing as they are always trying to arrest him and all, but he knows they'll never catch him. Well, they haven't thus far at least. Now as time goes on, he decided to make himself an assassin for hire, so to say. However, outside of murdering, he has hobbies such as painting and baking.

"Le Chat Noir" is a 24 year old male. He has a plot to infiltrate the ranks of Parisian royalty hatching as we speak. For what reason? We aren't too sure yet, but whatever it is, the plan is underway; "le Chat Noir" is in disguise and already working inside of the palace.

Raymond Séverin Sarkozi

Bio: Raymond is one of the best writers in France. He wrote many books about enlightenment and freedom. He was also one of the pioneers for Romanticism and wrote many books with that style. He was one of the campaigners for a Republic and believes that more reform should be done to make France more free like secularization.

Çatin Pierre Martin = Citis

Bio: Çatin is a young french soldier. Coming from a highly religious poor family, he proved to be a very smart person. With some help of a distant relative, who is highly ranked military official, he managed his own way in the french army. He may start low ranked, but he is ambitious and would struggle to go up in military hierarchy. He is highly interested in politics, although he mostly express his thoughts in his personal diary.

Lady Natalia Bluche = CaterpillarKing

Natalia was born into a line of powerful women. Her great great grandmother was a powerful adviser to the Spanish royal family. Her family moved to France in Orleans when she was seven with her mother and father. Her mother became a powerful politician and helped get Natalia into the lime light at a younger age. When she was 21 she married a nobleman but he died from a disease only three years later. She now travels the country side, looking for work. She was always the best fighter in her town in Spain and he neighborhood in France. Her skills with weapons are unmatched so she now works as an assassin or mercenary for anyone who needs it, as no one expects a woman. Though she looks poor and weak, her word is highly respected and she is both wealthy and powerful, she was even knighted by France after saving a member of the royal family from highwaymen. She prefers to stay inconspicuous though and not have people know who she is.

Marta Valadina = Matthias I

Marta is the only daughter of her italian parents, who settled around Calais. Her father, a rich merchant who has business in the New World, helped her to rose into prominence in the local politics and she soon showed her abilities for administration and intrigue. After her parents death, they died on a boat which sunk coming back from Quebec, she inherited her father business and money, along with his appointment as future mayor of Calais. After she completed her ternure as mayoress(?) of Calais, she is regarded as one of the most powerful women of France. And is important to remenber that she, Marta Valadina, is a unmarried young lady with only 22 years old and brilliant skills for administration and intrigue, what the future holds for her is, at least, interesting...

Jean-Luc Boisson = Loki242

Bio: Son of a French soldier and a native american woman, Jean-Luc Boisson is a born and raised resident of French Louisiana. A master tracker and woodsman, he spends most of his time in the unclaimed wilderness, and has close ties to various tribes throughout the region due to trade. He often serves as a guide, trader or even mercenary to those willing to brave the wilds of the new world.

Voltaire = Warriorman

Born in Paris in 1694 to a local lawyer and housewife, Voltaire has become quite the sensation with the young French anti-royalist cause with his inspirational works encouraging freedom of religion, freedom of expression, and even daring to suggest the separation of church from state. Now, Voltaire is increasingly encouraging his young French followers to address the problems of the current French "republic" to the King.

Léo Colbert = Grifguz

A member of the noblesse oblige, Léo Colbert was born in Bordeaux 1734 to a family of clerks and government workers. His father was a strong républicain and loathed the lingering influence the monarchy still had on France. Colbert is deeply invested in these views and laissez faire economics. Colbert wishes to build his stature to one day represent his home province and one day, all of France itself

Strengths:
Gregarious, relatively intelligent, decisive, affable

Weaknesses:
Rather pudgy, short tempered, can underestimate opponents

Past Milieu:

Spoiler :

Thankfully, viva la ancien regime, our claques and cliques are all alive and active!
Just want to add that's a f-ing genius phrase.

Jacques Picard:
Spoiler :

Bio: Picard is a member of the noblesse oblige, the rapidly forming middle class. He works as a simple blacksmith to support his family but also harbors resentment over his child dying in a carriage accident when a nobleman ran him over.
OOC: This is French Revolution era right?

Jacques Picard:
OOC: This is French Revolution era right?

Kind of. I decided it would be a claque'able idea to make a story starting right in the middle of an alternate history. Throughout the story I'll reveal what caused the world to differ from RL.

Short answer: The character works, although it isn't the French Revolution era you're thinking of. Close enough.

Kind of. I decided it would be a claque'able idea to make a story starting right in the middle of an alternate history. Throughout the story I'll reveal what caused the world to differ from RL.

Short answer: The character works, although it isn't the French Revolution era you're thinking of. Close enough.

Interesting! Good to know my character is good.

Subbed, will involve myself later.

Another story from one of the finest authors to ever grace CivIV S&T? I'm in.

Ambroise Proulx:

Spoiler :

Bio: Ambroise is a soldier at heart, a master of strategy, and an avid chess player. With all his genius in the art of war, Ambroise does not pursue this calling and instead insists on writing stories and the sort, and makes his living as an author. Anyone who reads his stories can tell, however, that Ambroise has a deep understanding of the battlefield, and not a necessarily good writing ability.

Subbed; I will probably insert a character later.

Aww, no Pamplemousse? :p

François "le Chat Noir" Beauchene:
Spoiler :

Bio: François "le Chat Noir" Beauchene is possibly the most skilled assassin in France. He has only been in the trade for 5 years, but his skill exceeds his experience; many noblemen and others have fallen to the hands of François. However, after his first murder, he decided to send a message to the army, knowing he wouldn't get caught. The message was that he had killed Antoine Daladier, the mayor of his town, and was delivered on a black cat. From then on, he was known as "le Chat Noir."

"Le Chat Noir" was born in a small town in Brittany, and after he graduated from the local schooling that his parents paid for, he left. It took him a few years before he started work as an assassin, but he was a master sneak and strategist. "Le Chat Noir" started out with petty thievery, but then evolved into the most feared assassin in France.

He personally doesn't care for the army too much, seeing as they are always trying to arrest him and all, but he knows they'll never catch him. Well, they haven't thus far at least. Now as time goes on, he decided to make himself an assassin for hire, so to say. However, outside of murdering, he has hobbies such as painting and baking.

"Le Chat Noir" is a 24 year old male. He has a plot to infiltrate the ranks of Parisian royalty hatching as we speak. For what reason? We aren't too sure yet, but whatever it is, the plan is underway; "le Chat Noir" is in disguise and already working inside of the palace.

By the way, subbed! This one is going to be fun.

Raymond Séverin Sarkozi

Bio: Raymond is one of the best writers in France. He lives in Paris. He wrote many books about enlightenment and freedom. He was also one of the pioneers for Romanticism and wrote many books with that style. He was one of the campaigners for a Republic and believes that more reform should be done to make France more free like secularization.

Raymond Séverin Sarkozi

Bio: Raymond is one of the best writers in France. He wrote many books about enlightenment and freedom. He was also one of the pioneers for Romanticism and wrote many books with that style. He is one of the campaigners for a Republic and believes that it should be done by a revolution.

Just a heads up, France just had a revolution with Louis XV who actually helped reform it. France has been a Republic since the 1400s, but recently Louis XV has made one of the last steps towards democracy as he abolished the centralized bureaucracy and allowed more direct, egalitarian democracy with emphasis on social mobility rather than nobility. Currently, France is an egalitarian republic, free market, naval dominance, and scholastic Protestant state religion that it shares with all European nations except Spain (the only one that refused to give up Catholicism). Rather, Louis XV's extreme popularity is proving troublesome as pro-monarchists stir up. The exact opposite of the real life situation.

VGL, do you wish to stay pro-democracy, or did you intend to go for more as a rebel? In that case, pro-monarchy would be a better route, or radical anti-royal family.

I thought it'd be interesting to start off the story at the height of France, with the back story to how it got so powerful relative to real life being revealed throughout the story, and lots of room for France to actually fall behind globally.

What kind of military do you run?

@RT my character was, is and will be heavily anti royal families. He is also pro democracy.

You're anti-royal family and pro-democracy, even though Louis XV made wide-sweeping pro-democracy changes?

My character believes in a republic.

So will the revolution to become a republic happen like IRL? Cause even though there was a constitutional monarchy, people still revolted and wanted a republic.

My character believes in a republic.

So will the revolution to become a republic happen like IRL? Cause even though there was a constitutional monarchy, people still revolted and wanted a republic.

You do not read VGL. I've stated several times it is already a republic. The king has very limited power compared to elected officials.

He wants a FULL republic with NO royal families. Like the USA. Also, if there is a king, then it's a constitutional monarchy and not a republic.

Top Bottom