1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

France reworked.

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Remmert, Apr 12, 2013.

1. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

It follows.

Our speculation is inconsequential, harmless. If we don't know something, there is nothing depending on us being correct. So what's the harm in presenting theories even if we lack the evidence?

2. Art Grin

Art Grin Emperor

This would be the most impressive ruse on their part ever.:goodjob:

3. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

Seriously, for a third unique on every civ, I would give Firaxis all the money. That would just make BNW the greatest expansion ever.

4. ScottMcPwn

ScottMcPwn Huscarl

Well I did create a thread on the BNW section a while ago, it will be either on the 2nd or 3rd list by now, has a good list of suggestions for every civ (ATLEAST 3!) and most have 2 UUs and 1 UB or vice versa.

5. Securion

Securion Civ Veteran

Yepp, I would pay 100$ for that alone.
    Seriously, I would.

(Another 100$ for improved AI and working MP as well...)

6. Loaf Warden

Loaf Warden (no party affiliation)

I didn't say there was anything important at stake, now did I? I said we don't have enough information to go on. What is the point in telling me nobody's life is at stake? How is that going to affect my argument? The fact that nobody's life is at stake is irrelevant and does not follow from anything I said.

Ergo, non-sequitur.

7. labrynianrebel

labrynianrebel Warlord

Maybe the trading posts are now flavored like city types? The "Chateau" look is the European version, and there is an American, Asian and African version as well.

8. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I would like that.

9. justinianI

justinianI Chieftain

I thought about that, but I'm not sure how likely that is...maybe. We won't know about trading posts until we see them in the previews and know that's what they are (if they've changed). I just think it's a sign that we haven't seen them in any screenshots yet!

10. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

Right. You didn't say anything important was at stake. Or anything at all, for that matter. So then, what is the point of the original post of yours that I responded to? I thought there was an implied argument in there against speculation and for people to more readily toss their hands in the air and admit that they just don't know.

I apologize for employing an idiom for hyperbolic effect. No one is in danger of losing their life. Move along, nothing to see here.

11. ScottMcPwn

ScottMcPwn Huscarl

This is a very similar concept to the Ethnic Units one where each cultural era e.g. Europe, FE Asia, SE Asia, Middle East, Meso-America etc have their own unit skins.

Pikemen is the same unit but the European Pikemen look the same whereas the Asians will get a new skin that is culturally appropriate.

12. Loaf Warden

Oh, excuse me. I didn't realize making something up and insisting that we're right even though nobody knows was the only valid means of participation in these discussions. It was so wrong of me to point out that there's no use acting certain and saying people are "denying" what they know it really is when none of us really know.

Fine. Those are alien landing sites that are disguised to look like buildings the locals wouldn't find conspicuous. That's why they look like chateaus in French territory. The alien invasion is imminent. It must be! It's obvious!

There. Instead of my earlier posts, which apparently didn't say anything, now I'm contributing!

13. Securion

Securion Civ Veteran

Its alright. Just dont do it again.
    ;)

14. ScottMcPwn

ScottMcPwn Huscarl

Watch out, Tripods will come up from beneath the buildings at any moment!

15. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

Don't Pictish Warriors have that already?

16. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

The non-sequitur is on someone, not something. :mischief:

Listen, you originally took issue with my "no one's life is at stake," comment. Get past that for a moment.

"Making something up and insisting they're right" (a.k.a. speculation and subsequent defense of said speculation) certainly isn't the only valid means of participating in discussion, because it is merely one valid mean of participating.

To throw it to the wayside because we don't know something, on such a harmless topic nonetheless, is rather extreme. Refute those irascible, refutable claims, justifiably and with my blessing, if there is refutation to be found. But why suggest that we just admit we don't know anything? Why are we logged into the forums if not to discuss the news we've been given?

As for the "no one's life is at stake" comment... I meant to emphasize that there was no harm in putting forth or even defending a losing proposition. We're not debating the code to deactivate the nuclear bomb that's about to go off in a major metropolitan area. We're discussing an inconsequential game.

17. MaximusK

MaximusK Warlord

What they should have done is added Louis XIV with the new UA, UI, etc. :crazyeye: Wouldn't it be awesome to have Napoleon fighting Louis XIV. Then they could have a Joan of Arc DLC later on . .

18. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

It's also been done in past Civ games (with eras rather than improvements) and the fact that a scenario Motte & Bailey graphic which even a lot of Civ V players don't recognise is for some reason highlighted on a poster may suggest a graphical update that changes generic improvements by society or era.

19. LordProtector

LordProtector Digger

Is it not possible that this "chateau" potential UI is a replacement for France's wine plantations that also offer vitals for the tourism feature? That's my noob nonsense opinion. K bai guys. :wavey:

20. Loaf Warden

Refute? There's not enough information with which to refute, because there wasn't enough information for the original assertion to begin with. That was rather my whole point. I was asked to explain why the French have these whatever they are and the Portuguese seem not to. I pointed out that I can't explain it because I don't know, and that my not knowing does not constitute denial that it's a French UI because none of us knows if it is or not. Just because someone speculates that it's a French UI, and someone else says it obviously is one, does not mean someone else is denying a fact to say that it may or may not be when we don't know yet. I have as much right to say, "We don't know that," as they have to say, "It has to be a French UI!"