France's UA - why does it end at Steam Power?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Smokeybear, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Pyr1t3

Pyr1t3 Chieftain

If I'm not wrong, Napoleon's quote was used for the Steam Power tech in Civ 4, so I wouldn't put it past them.

2. TImithius

TImithius Chieftain

By the time the French Rev. and the Rise of Napoleon occured - The time when the Ancien Regime "Old Regime" was destroyed and replaced with the republic- steam power was invented. Simple

3. Steelyglint

Steelyglint Warlord

4. Smokeybear

Smokeybear Emperor

Agreed. Just about every civ's UA in the game could have the same arguements used to insist that they be cancelled out at some point during the course of the milenia... due to actual factual historical reasons. The fact that only France's UA was rendered MIA partway through the game, is a real head-scratcher. Why get all 'historically uptight' on them over theirs, when none of the other civs, whose UA's can all be equally subject to cancellation or modification on the same kinds of grounds, did not? Unfair, and illogical.

5. Smokeybear

Smokeybear Emperor

Ok! So, the game's UA's have to start and/or stop at true historical points, you're saying. So, America can't have its UA start until Gunpowder and the minuteman, because America didn't actually historically exist before that; as mentioned in a previous post, the Hellenic League disappeared during Roman times, thousands of years ago... so by this logic, Greece's UA has to disappear around that era, as well. And on and on. There would be no civ's UA in the entire game that would last for very long, if you applied this fairly and evenly.

Obviously, that would make for a pretty dull game, with most of the civ's UA's only occurring for smaller parts of the game, and not even existing in the rest. But, hey- lets single out France, and just_do_it_to_them... because... hey, it's historical! Stupidity, and completely unfair. And that is that.

6. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Just because we're saying this one UA is lore-based and historical, doesn't mean we're saying ALL the nations in Civ have lore-based/historical UA completely consistent with France's. It's not our fault if Firaxis was inconsistent. :p

EDIT: Quoted the wrong person, lol. (Sorry Smokeybear!)

7. Smokeybear

Smokeybear Emperor

Of course. I was just pointing out how odd it was that they chose to only give the shaft to France. Maybe they're all of English ancestry... nah, they didn't do Elizabeth any favors, either... lol!

8. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Sorry, quoted the wrong person! I fixed it.

For England, they need to give a merchant bonus of some kind....

9. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Actually, it was the most powerful continental power until the unification of Germany. Germany purely outclassed the French by the end of the nineteenth century, at least in industrial production, even without an extensive colonial empire.

10. aatami

aatami Kuruth Urfarah, kuruth!

I'd actually say it's purely because of balance reasons.

11. Mesix

Mesix The Allfather

Several civs have UA which do not become relevant until later eras of the game. From a balance and game play standpoint this puts them at a disadvantage to civs that have their UA from the start. It seems reasonable that their should be a sunset period for some abilities (like the French UA being discussed). Some civs also have UU which come very early and obsolete. Some have UB while others do not. It is important to look at the whole package.

I personally think that every civ deserves to have a UB of some kind. It seems to me that having two UU does not make up for the lack of a UB.

12. Cicerosaurus

Cicerosaurus Emperor

I would have thought that France was the most powerful continental power after 1918 until sometime in the mid 1930's. Not that that is relevant to steam power.

13. Steelyglint

Steelyglint Warlord

France was completely in 1918. It would have been the Entente more than any single nation, I think (Russia being fresh out of a revolution and Britain not being continental), for at least a little while after 1918. I was reading the column in the garden which does news stories from ninety years ago and it get referring to the Entente so presumably it still existed as an alliance after the war. Someone correct me please. ^^

Darn, you got me.

And you're right, England's UA doesn't really relate to the strengths of the British Empire, but as you say Firaxis is inconsistent. What does +1 sight have to do with America, for instance, or 25% building hammers to do with Rome? idk, but I'd have thought a lot less than horses and invading smaller, weaker neighbours have to do with Mongolia or building big buildings has to do with Egypt.

+1, with the exception of Greece which has its UUs at the same time.

14. Babri

Babri Emperor

Just wanted to point out that there are other civs as well whose UAs partially obsolete. Example : Mongols +1 horse move (no use after the arrival of tanks). Spain : Gold from finding natural wonders. Polynesia : Units can enter ocean. Germany & Ottomans : In late game when almost no barbs are to be found once the whole continent has been settled. There can be so many examples like that. It is purely for balance. I would give France UA another bonus just for flavour but it is already quite strong & that could make them OP.

15. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

Presumably the historical premise was a convenient justification for them to balance France. As has been said, France has two strong military UU's that pop up just before and around the time their UA runs out, so they probably figured having that extra 2 culture per city when the cities are rapidly turning blue would be a little powerful. I think it's a good UA, they aren't there to win the game for you...

16. Teagen

Teagen Warlord

I can't imagine how taking away +2 culture per city in the "industrial" era is providing balance....by that time it's only going to add up to at most +20 or so culture during a time that you're probably getting at least like +200.

IE - It's actually removing the UA during it's weakest point....and leaves it in play during the strongest (the beginning)

17. RD-BH

RD-BH Human

Of course,
    ... if you don't research steam,
    ... you don't lose the bonus.

18. Smokeybear

Smokeybear Emperor

And you quickly become militarily obsolete and helpless against the hordes... breelyint! :lol:

19. RD-BH

RD-BH Human

LOL,
    ... I never said it was a good choice 8)

20. Smokeybear

Smokeybear Emperor

Tell that to Greece, Siam, India, and others who have quite strong UA's that help them from start to finish. While the French may have a strong start culturally early on, I don't feel it is any more powerful than any of the UA's belonging to those other civs, in actual gameplay.