1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Franco-Iberia blog is up!

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by SupremacyKing, Jul 18, 2014.

1. SupremacyKing

SupremacyKing Prince

2. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

That was the most groanworthily pretentious and French thing I read in a long time. In a good way.

3. Catalytic

Catalytic Chieftain

So true! What a delicious display! It's perfect.

4. Karl0413

Karl0413 Prince

Yeah I like it. Commander Rejinaldo shall we crush her first?

:rockon:

Ok then, fire up the tanks!

5. s0nny80y

s0nny80y Emperor

Big waddup to the :what the f---?"

It's a bunch of psycho babble I propose to nuke that trap.

6. 3of5

3of5 Recycling Vats Technician

Its also elitist and nacissistic in how her decisions are final and there would be no need at all for a wider base of curators. Surely a canon of all facettes of earths culture should not only be seen and judged through the eyes of one single, albeit very educated person. But thats western europe for you (and i include myself into that analysis), not only french (they might have mastered it though ;-)). When the shoe fits, i'll wear it.

7. Mount Suribachi

Mount Suribachi Warlord

Yep, this line

I have left works out and make no apology for such. It is the prerogative of the curator to make these decisions. If you, in future generations, wonder if the libraries and databases of Earth hold treasures not listed here, I assure you that from the perspective of one who has spent her life in the service of culture: They do not.

is a frightening one. 21st century western liberal thinking taken to its logical conclusion - "we're right, you're wrong, so everything you think and say and believe must be banned"

Needless to say, this is one faction I won't be in a rush to play :king:

8. 3of5

3of5 Recycling Vats Technician

This faction has many things going for themselves, but as any other faction they have inherent flaws (which everyone is free to view through their own cultural lens). The eurocentrism and tendency for philosphical universalism is something europe (or rather western philosophy) is much criticized for even today (and rightfully so in my eyes, because it advocates stagnation in thought).

This gives me hope that the devs did not only dvelve into the technological aspect of scifi, but allso into its rich philosophical side.

9. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

Keep in mind people, it probably only is the Canon of Western art and literature...

10. Snownova

Snownova Warlord

I gotta say the faction still sounds interesting and all, but this blog has made Elodi sound so thoroughly unlikeable that she may be my new Miriam, aka a Kill On Sight faction.

11. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

It's funny how those things are (and shows that the devs did a great job in developing the factions) as for example to me Elodie is the best leader so far. Definitely the faction I will probably play the most.

12. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

No, it is 'the Canon' of Earth's culture (according to Elodie)

no "Western" modifier
    She searched through multiple civilizations.
    And there is nothing worthwhile on Earth that she left out (according to her)

13. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

Nowhere in the Canon's "Index Record 0.003.1" I see her explitedly mentioning its the Canon of Earth's culture.
    She even starts with the "unifying theme of Western arts and letters".
    Europe definitely had multiple civilizations throughout the course of human history in the continent.
    And if she would consider nothing outside Western culture worthwhile, no-one could have forced her to include it in her Canon. ;)

That said, it is hard to fathom how other sponsors would agree to include such a restricted work in their Seeding databases. OTOH, the Canon is maybe only used on the Franco-Iberian Seeding vessel(s), or even only hers.

14. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

It's pretty obvious to me the Canon just a Franco-Iberian expedition thing - why would other sponsors adopt it? It accentuates the authoritarian/orwellian feel of the Franco-Iberian colony (btw, I don't think there are multiple vessels from each sponsor)

15. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

The blogs or earlier background article indicate there are multiple vessels for at least the PAU, ARC, KavProt, and PAC. Bolivar only talked about one vessel for his nation, the Aguia (Seeding One), and Élodie's Canon intro remains inconclusive.

16. poom3619

poom3619 Ping Pang Poom!

She controlling the media empire. Don't forget it :)

They can craft a news about damaged satellites of PAU and/or use their connection/propaganda to get these equipments. :)

17. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

So what? Are you susceptible to US or Chinese media? Its unlikely she has many viewers or devotees in nations outside Europe.

That would need an elaborate cooperation between the Franco-Iberian government and Élodie's media empire/company. Remember, she is NOT a government member, merely a celebrity. ;)

18. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Well, I guess it is 'global' in the same way as countless Western lists of greatest people/books/generals/works of art/inventions ever:

90% = Greece, Rome, England, France, Germany, Italy, USA

5% = China because uhm invention of paper and uhm spiritualism right?

5% = rest of the world... I mean obviously: other countries from Western Europe, Egypt, Mesopotamia and India

the end

I don't like her already :p

19. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

:lol:

20. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Hey I just don't like 'pretentious spiritual nonsense' and she excels at it :p