1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Free Cities are Loyal to their Founding Civilization

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by King Phaedron, Aug 22, 2020.

1. King Phaedron

King Phaedron Chieftain

So I'm in the late game and I turned much of Spain and Rome into Free Cities. This created some internal civil wars that were quite funny. Not so much once I found myself in War with Spain and Rome.

The Free Cities are constantly building units and attacking me! They are attacking like they're still working for the empires I liberated them from. This isn't a complaint, it's just rather interesting and unexpected.

Realistically, they are like what would happen if one of the US States secceeded from the Union. Self governed, and capable of military conflict with surrounding states, but still willing to ban together against a common enemy.

Go and try it out for yourself sometime. Use either Rock Bands to turn cities, or capture them, wait for them to rebel, and tare down a few other cities so that they don't rejoin their empires. (Helps if your enemy is in a dark age, which most of the remaining civs in the late game tend to be)

2. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

Free cities will simply attack anyone nearby, like barbarians. They're free cities, not your cities, you're not the one who "liberate them from" sth., you're just treated as another Civ which they dislike.

Kjimmet, Vandlys and 8housesofelixir like this.
  3. Deadly Dog

Deadly Dog Warlord

I used cultists in my Menelik II game to "liberate" the remaining Egyptian cities I didn't want and created a swath of territory along my one foreign land border that was basically a "no-go" zone for all the civs. Meaning I had trouble getting trade routes across and Sweden had to stop sending Apostles my way.

I enjoyed it, though obviously I had to keep troops near the border. Free city units mostly stayed in their own territory, dogpiling any unit me or the AI was sending close to their territory.

I think of them as "failed states", like Somalia in the early '90s. At that time travel anywhere near the border meant the risk of having your vehicle hijacked. Relief groups were targetted because the vehicles and radios they used were coveted. So not safe for anyone, not for troops, not for medics, not for GW's (myself, some day? :lol:;)), not for missionaries, not for rock bands.

Also this is not so rare anymore it seems. Another game, no help from me, and someone ( I think Alexander) lost all loyalty in Dido's cities after eliminating her. So there is a block of in the middle of a fractal pangaea that has put a stop to a lot of trade and exploring. I like it, it means all the civs will have an incentive to do something or else the growth of the global economy is hampered. Feels very RL to me.