Free DLC Civs?

3335d

CCtP Player
I don't play with animations on anyway, so static leaderheads are okay. In addition, the DLCs are overpriced and not essential to the game.

Would it be possible for anyone to make the DLC civs with static leaderheads and no sound? Or would it violate copyright to do so?

I don't play with animations on anyway, so static leaderheads are okay. In addition, the DLCs are overpriced and not essential to the game.

Would it be possible for anyone to make the DLC civs with static leaderheads and no sound? Or would it violate copyright to do so?

That depends on what you want. There are some mods that add civs like Spain, which you could use instead of the DLC. But of course, those mods use no assets from the DLC.

It would be direct circumvention of payment to access of civ, so we can't do this.

We can make a vanilla one with custom art assets, sure, but not with their art assets.

Community art assets are actually preferred in this case. I don't need the Firaxis assets.

Yeah. Then that's perfectly fine.

Thank you for answering my question Putmalk! If someone could make those for the benefit of the community of players on relatively low-end machines (who need no animated leaderheads, only pictures, and no sound) that would be excellent.

Thank you for answering my question Putmalk! If someone could make those for the benefit of the community of players on relatively low-end machines (who need no animated leaderheads, only pictures, and no sound) that would be excellent.

They already have! There are some Spain civilizations and etc. which were made before the DLCs became available.

The best bet is to learn to mod it yourself. All the official DLC can be remade with only XML, just choose another unit's artdefine for the unit graphics, etc. However, no one is going to make a direct game-play copy and post it as a public mod. It's just asking for trouble.

I already have G&K so I have no need for Spain. What I want is Korea, Inca etc.

The DLCs are overpriced and not essential to the game.

If someone could make those for the benefit of the community of players on relatively low-end machines (who need no animated leaderheads, only pictures, and no sound) that would be excellent.

But see it's not for the benefit of the community on low end machines, as all the official leaders include a static leaderhead option. It's simply because you don't want to spend money on the DLC. Frankly, asking other people to make you a direct copy of paid DLC is just being cheap and kind of crass. Don't try to hide it under some altruism that it's for the community or dismiss it as trivial by claiming the DLC is "not essential". You want the civs, learn to mod them yourself or just buy them.

As I said earlier, I don't want to pirate anything from Firaxis, even if you get a civ and just slap a different name, unique improvement, etc. on it that would be fine.

Sure, sure.
But AFAIK that doesn't even work, because e.g. units, which are based on e.g. the Incan slinger, will only work if you have that unit (-> so if you have the DLC).

That's more/less what I meant; That it's ok providing you're only offering to those that have already paid out the money for the relavent DLC/expansion.

As there are civ mods on the Workshop that are using artwork etc under this circumstance, I'd assumed that this was the way around getting a slapped wrist.

You can make exact replicas of the DLC civs without the DLC because the XML tags that govern those units were added into the base game.

What you cannot do is rip the artwork.

Is it legal to make a civ that is functionally similar to a DLC civ to circumvent paying for it? I feel like that might be stealing intellectual property, since without having bought the DLC, Firaxis has not given you a license to use their ideas in other mods. (When you purchase Civ, what kind of licenses does it come with? It's possible you don't get a license to use their ideas in other mods even when you buy things, but at the very least they'll turn a blind eye to it).

You can make an Inca civ, or a Korea civ, and it won't be a problem. But if you create a mod that adds a DLC-civ copy that is totally functionally the same, then you've probably crossed a line somewhere, even if you don't take the art/music assets.

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable making a mod to circumvent paying for DLC. I hate the idea of DLC, too. But there's not really anything you can do about it. It may be a "ripoff", or "not worth it", depending on how you see it, but the fact is that everything is worth what the purchaser will pay for it, and the only way to subvert DLC is to make it unprofitable for the companies to release them.

Top Bottom