1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Free DLC from october 25th on: The Mongols and Ghengis Khan

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by The_J, Oct 18, 2010.

1. say1988

say1988 Deity

I am curious about hte leader being a UU....

2. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Not really, I suspect you will be able to wait for the expansion and get them all at one price. This way some will get to try them out for 5 bucks. I will wait and take the free ones.

This also lets them put a little more into the game play for the expansion, one would hope. Anyway, if this business model does not fly they will drop it.

3. Stefanskantine

Stefanskantine Angry Partisan

I wonder what the Khan UU is. UU Great General?

4. moopoo

moopoo King

I suppose they might share some of the original structure (it is just a dude on a horse after all) but I very much doubt they're going to reuse animations for what are completely different personalities

5. happyturtle

happyturtle Mrs GrumpyOldCivver

I wouldn't consider a user hack to be an actual "fix". I mean, it's really great that there are people who put their time and talents into this sort of thing, but that shouldn't let 2k off the hook for solving the compatibility issue before it gets made worse by adding more content.

6. 501st Legion

501st Legion Warlord

Free DLC... well that's most comforting.

Queue the "I feel ripped off for paying an additional $10.00 to get Babylon" posts...

Chances are they'll sneak in the Mongols alongside the patch.

7. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

Dude, it's FREE

also mongols were done before release i believe

8. knugen

knugen Chieftain

+30 against city states? City states are terrible at warfare, and why would you want to conquer them anyway?

9. say1988

say1988 Deity

Because you want their land, but not other bonuses, or a maritime city state wants a military one eliminated.

10. knugen

knugen Chieftain

ok but still, they are so easily defeated anyway

11. cephalo

cephalo Deity

I'm not sure the Civ community is ready to pay for new Civs. I think this is a mistake that could eat away at our good will toward Firaxis. For one thing, Civ5 is noticably light on the content. Is that because they planned to sell it to us later?

12. Olleus

Olleus Deity

The bonus against city states is okay, but the real awesomeness is +1 movement to horse units. Thats crazy good. Keshik will probably replace either the knight or horseman. I wonder if it will be a ranged unit or not... I am entirely confused by the Khan unit. Replacement great general? Replacements settler? The second is my favourite - would have a defence value and great movement.

13. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

But now, you could maybe do that with warriors and get significant advantage early.

14. McDanny

McDanny Chieftain

I think this is bang on the money. People seem to be overlooking the Khan's 5-movement horsies. At least no-one's shouting about the Mongols being 'broken' ;)

When it says the UU is the Khan, is that meant as a generic term for a Mongol general, or will we get to order around Genghis himself? I'd like to see this for all empires, personally... I'd forgive Civ V all its faults if I got to send Gandhi into battle :D

15. Nekator

Nekator Master of Desaster

what did you expect? It was clear that they would make money with the civs, since the Babylon Cut out.

16. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

This is GOOD NEWS! The first good news from Civ5 so far! Free DLC and with such a face like Genghis too. Civ is nothing without Genghis, and now we're all getting him. Yay!

There might be hope after all. Let's all just look forward to Genghis and the patch now and see if the situation can't be turned around and this game develop into something good after all. Yay!

17. CivCube

CivCube Feelin' defiant.

With a release date of October 25, this might mean the patch will be released around that day.

18. Danielion

Danielion Prince

I expected a Mongolian Civ, but not so early. Great! And of course, I knew I didn't need to pay for that special edition for the Babylonians. As expected, they'll be DLC soon.

19. skallben

skallben Diplomat

I bet the Khan will be a better horseman than his fellow slowpoke generals. Even in a car they can't run away from knights ahaha. (I realize it's symbolical and he probably got a huge entourage but it is still funny)

20. Seashore

Seashore Chieftain

It's a bribe! A good bribe though.