Free Gatherer at Gathering Tech

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by Joij21, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Joij21

Joij21 Emperor

So it says on the tech tree that when you research this tech, if your the first one to research it then you get a free gatherer. However I noticed everyone who researches this technology gets the free gatherer. Both the AI and other players (I'm currently playing hotseat against my brother and noticed everyone gets them, including him).

Is this intentional or an oversight? I ask because the description makes it seem like it's a winner takes all kind of thing.

2. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

Free gatherer for tech + one more gatherer for first person to get this tech.

Osk21 and cobbaut like this.
  3. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Yeah, the one who is first get two free gatherers, where everyone else will only get one.

4. Joij21

Joij21 Emperor

Oh okay. It's just kind of confusing. I just wish there was a label or something to prevent confusion among other players in the future.

5. garfunkel

garfunkel Chieftain

"Researching this tech grants you a free Gatherer. If you are the first to research this tech, you gain an additional Gatherer"

replacing the current text to that would make it clearer as I was confused of this before as well.

cobbaut likes this.
  6. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Text is not just hand written but is response written to the tag that adds a free Gatherer for first to achieve the tech and must be worded in a manner that waits for any unit to be added for free to the player that reaches any tech first. This special case creates an automatic discordant message as a result of this generic tag responsive messaging.

7. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Used to be that everyone got one gatherer when they got the tech but the first to got an extra one. If I remember correctly that text is hand written for that one tech as I don't think we originally used the tag but python.

8. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Still is this way.

9. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Since this is a recent and somewhat related thread I'll bring this up here...

Wood, as a resource, is useful as a unit prerequisite, particularly for spears and clubs and such. However, I can't currently USE it as one, despite how beneficial it would be to have access to, because although we have the
    BUILDING_GATHERER_DRIFTWOOD at Gathering, we have no OTHER way to get wood that early. Which is just frustrating.

What I need is a simple Stick Gatherer building that comes in at Gathering that comes from having any kind of wooded, even bamboo, feature in city vicinity that gives wood as a resource. I can think of ways to go further with this when equipment mod starts coming closer in on the horizon but for now this would suit the basic need for assuring that there's cause for spears and clubs. I know you might say - oh but what if you actually don't HAVE ANY wood in the region (which of course is quite rare) - I say then it should be interesting working more with stone throwers and such for a while longer.

At the moment, it's quite odd that the only way we can get wood so early is if we're on a ... a beach?