1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Free Kate Moss

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bozo Erectus, Oct 5, 2005.

1. wit>trope

wit>trope Deity

The reason why those people are to be held to a higher standard is simply because young people look up them. Now, you may argue that young people SHOULDN'T look up to them and maybe you would be right about that. But the fact is that like it or not, right or not, they do and so as long as they do, those people have a responsibility to not scandalize, disappoint, or otherwise harm the young people who look up to them ... unless they want to hold press conferences addressed to young people, telling them that they should not look up to them and that they are bad people and that they should look up to Jesus or President Bush or whatever instead :crazyeye:

2. FearlessLeader2

FearlessLeader2 Fundamentalist Loon

God save us from the world where young people look up to Resident Bush.

It would appear that once again, the whiny bleeding-heart liberals need an economics lesson.

Advertising and You: A Lesson in Marketability, by FearlessLeader2

"It pays to advertise." So goes the slogan in most ad agencies, whether they be the Classifieds department of the local newspaper, or a major player on Madison Avenue. Advertising is one expense that all companies must at some point or another accept and incorporate into their budgets. Since time and space are limited (not in the sense of our finite but still huge universe, but rather the 10,000 character lmit), I will concentrate on celebrity advertising.

All companies want to sell their products, this is the basis of economic competition. One way of overtaking the competition in market share is by advertising, and one unfortunately effective means of advertising is the use of celebrity endorsements. Money is paid to an ad agency, it pays some of that to a celebrity, and that celebrity allows their face, and possibly other active participations, to be used in the sale of the company's products. This generates revenues from increased sales for the company, and the effectiveness of a given celeberity in marketing a given prodeuct is directly expressed in how much a given celebrity can command as payment for endorsing a given product. For example, someone advertising sportswear or sporting goods might offer more money to Mark McGuire than to Ned Beatty, because Mr. McGuire is a major league baseball player, and Mr. Beatty is a rotund unathletic actor. Likewise, when selling feminine products, more effort (and money) will be spent recruiting Carrie-Ann Moss than Wilford Brimley, the current Quaker Oats guy.

Now, if a celebrity's perceived effectiveness at attracting customers to a product is diminished somehow, they will be offered less money and fewer jobs in the celebrity endorsement business, because their services will be worth less, and in some cases, worthless.

Kate Moss did a no-no. She committed the horrific and unforgivable crime of being caught. Her marketability has taken a major hit, and her endorsement value has plummeted appropriately. Money talks, BS walks.

Here endeth the lesson.

3. Insane_Panda

Insane_Panda Deity

Whoa! Models snort cocaine?!?!? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

4. ummmm........

ummmm........ Extremely normal.

Who's George Best?

5. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

better known as Dr. Best, the guy with the intelligent toothbrush ;) no seriously, I have no idea...

I don't care about her drug using habits, it's her body not mine....What astonishes me more is how she ever got to be a top-model. I can walk down any given street, and see a handfull of women who are way more beautiful than her...

6. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Funny you should mention him...

Anyway, I don't care if Kate Moss does cocaine, she's still fit. That's her job and she's DAAAAAAAMN good at it!

EDIT: WOOOAAAAH this new edit feature is COOOOL!

Also, George Best is a legendary English footballer.

7. ComradeDavo

ComradeDavo Formerly God

Very funny:p

Though I don't see how having low taxes and thus high medi-care costs really helps someones wallet:p

8. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

You don't want a liver transplant from this guy...

9. Gr3yL3gion

Gr3yL3gion Voice of Madness

Overated Soccer Player who once plays for Manchester United.

10. A'AbarachAmadan

A'AbarachAmadan Deity

I think drugs should be legalized, but I can't sympathize with someone knowing breaking the law. Work on changing it.

11. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

Kate who?

Anyway, selling your soul to the entertainment media is part of the deal of becoming a celebrity. If she didn't want the press to squeeze every last penny out of her vices, she should've chosen a different career.

12. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

Why should we be freeing her? Can't she just squeeze out between the bars of the jail cell?

13. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

Au contraire, mon amis!

I am against all drug abuse, and especially in the enhancement-riddled world of sports!

:)

14. ferenginar

ferenginar Grand Nagus

Free Kate Moss, just collect ring pulls from ten cans of Coke

15. Bozo Erectus

Bozo Erectus Master Baker

No the lesson goes on. ;) People are talking about Kate Moss. Thats all that counts in the world of celebrity. Its all about name and face recognition, doesnt matter if youre known for murder or curing cancer. She's taking a hit right now, but in the long run, this sort of thing will extend her career as a professional celebrity. Look, I dont really give a damn about Kate Moss, what bothers me is all the holier than thou hypocrisy. Like others have mentioned, the people who are expressing shock and dismay, and cancelling her contracts, are themselves snorting, shooting, or smoking everything that isnt nailed down.

16. King Alexander

King Alexander Universe explorer

I could never believe it! I thought...Kate Moss was the exception in super-model world! :lol:

17. wit>trope

wit>trope Deity

You had me scared for a moment. For a moment I thought she was actually in jail which would be a terrible travesty. If you read the article she is in a rehab clinic, not jail.

Make fun of thin people, but fact is thin is more beautiful unless it looks like you're a starving person from Africa. My theory is that some people say they don't find thin beautiful either because they are not thin themselves or because they have an opposite sex friend who is not thin or because they have other people in their lives who are not thin or because they want to be PC or some other reason :)

18. King Alexander

King Alexander Universe explorer

@cierdan: most models look like they just came from Africa.

19. Bozo Erectus

Bozo Erectus Master Baker

Actually I think its the responsibility of parents to raise their kids in such a way that they dont look up to models, baseball players, or rap artists. Easier said than done, but the fact is that its not a models responsibility to be perfect just in case some kid out there wants to be rich and famous just like her.

20. h4ppy

h4ppy You sir, pineapple?

But most parents don't do that, are you saying that like 95% of parents are bad parents?

edit: Yippie! Memberlist Page four for post count, my goal for the past six months has been completed, eat it microbe!