1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Free religion civic and state religion

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by GoWay, Jul 26, 2013.

1. GoWay

GoWay Chieftain

What happens if i use the Free Religion civic while i have a state religion?

2. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

You will no longer have a state religion ;)

3. Geredis

Geredis Chieftain

More properly, technically speaking, aren't all religions within your border treated as State Religions? I mean, sure you may not get the diplomacy bonus, but for all intents and purposes aside from diplomacy and Apostolic Palace, all religions are treated as though you've selected them as your state religion.

4. Windsor

Windsor Flawless

No, religions present in a city and your state religion is not the same.

The religious civics will not work (you may adopt them for diplo) without a state religion. And you may only have ONE state religion while several might be present in a city.

5. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

In addition, going to FR will stop the University of Sankore and Spiral Minaret (if you control them) bonuses as you will no longer have a state religion. The game treats FR as no state religion.

6. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Except that you get the religious happy benefits from every religion in the city.

7. Willem

Willem Deity

But Free Religion is a religious civic so that's a moot point if you use it.