1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Free-Research Balance Mod

Discussion in 'Communitas Expansion Pack' started by Seek, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

I expect it has something to do with the custom missions? But lua is not my string suit so I'm not sure how to resolve the issue.. If anyone has a suggestion please let me know.

I also updated the first post to make the incompatibility with Lib Boost more prominent.

2. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

If you ask the creator of that mod and get permission, I could do the work of merging the two files for you and we could include both in the modpack. :)

The creator might prefer to keep their mod independent, which would be completely understandable too, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

3. Txurce

Txurce Deity

That would be great - I missed this mod, as well as Tech Diffusion.

4. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

Is there a conflict with Tech Diffusion as well?

5. Txurce

Txurce Deity

I think TD was never updated to work with the patch. Sneaks asked Afforess about it on the thread. Afforess seemed to imply that people were welcome to use it without further permission.

6. Thalassicus

I could sit down and look through tech diffusion after I'm done with the building tooltips. :)

7. Txurce

Txurce Deity

Excellent!

8. spfun

spfun King

having just found this mod i just want to say at 180% science cost for modern age 1k gold modern techs is still a pretty big bargain imo. Industrial to modern jump is 40% more science on already costly techs, but is only a 200 gold jump, while Renaissance to Industrial is the same, but tech cost isn't.

Also i read beaker overflow is removed, reason behind that change? micromanaging techs was painful pre december patch & i had to do it to be efficient, beaker overflow is necessary & good change with december patch. :)

9. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

I'll try out more expensive RAs for the modern era and see how it feels - 1000G has seemed like a fair amount so far. If you want to test a larger number also, open the CostIncrease.xml and adjust the entry for modern era. It's really easy, and I'd love to hear your feedback.:)

Beakers from Great Scientists' "discover technology" ability do not overflow, the overflow from hard-teching works as normal.

@Thal- I sent smellymummy a pm a couple days ago but haven't heard back yet in re Liberation Boost. Will let you know if/when he does.

10. Thalassicus

@spfun
    The reason alpaca/seek didn't include overflow is the beakers from 1 great scientist could potentially give 3-5 free techs if it overflowed.

@Seek
    You can send him another message that it's simply a matter of changing from InGame.xml to modbuddy "Content" tab method of including lua files, that alone should solve the problem without any need to merge. I included this fix in the latest combined download:

11. alpaca

alpaca King of Ungulates

Indeed. As to why I consider that a problem, it's not so great when you pop out a beeline with a single great scientist in the early game. That problem could be solved by adjusting the beaker values more directly but capping the scientist to "finish this tech at the max" is the way I chose to go (it has precedent from Civ4 so it's not new for a lot of people). I might reconsider that stance in the future, though, as adjusting the beaker value feels more natural somehow.

12. Txurce

Txurce Deity

Elsewhere, Frozensky proposed that RA's should give you the tech with the lowest amount of beakers still needed. If this could be implemented, it would not only get rid of the one-turn exploit, but also solve the basic issue by lowering the value of RA's to a level where they wouldn't serve as slingshots, and wouldn't need to be overpriced. Have you considered this?

13. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

I think that solution is too far in the other direction.

14. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

If someone has figured out another method of dealing with RAs, I will happily consider it. At the moment there doesn't seem to be any way with the current tools to deal with it other than how it's done here - I freely admit it's not ideal by any means.

On another note, I'm considering using the alternate formula for GS beakers that we were discussing a while back* - if there's any reason not to implement it, let me know! I've done a few tests with it and the beaker amount has still met all my criteria. Also under consideration is making RAs in the modern and future eras more expensive - opinions welcome.

*Post 29 on the previous page.

15. Txurce

Txurce Deity

Unfortunately no one else has figured anything out - they just have interesting ideas they hope someone like you might implement!

I like the approach of that earlier GS discussion.

16. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

Version 3 uploaded.

Adjusted GS formula slightly to give more beakers in the late game and thus be more worthwhile at that point.

Modern and Future era RAs greater cost to more closely match tech costs.

17. Txurce

Txurce Deity

Great. I just started a game with BC v20, so I'll upgrade yours right away.

EDIT: I immediately got a runtime error. Is this because I switched mid-game, or for some other reason?

EDIT: Regardless the game wouldn't run again with either version. I just started a game with v3, and it's running fine.

18. Thalassicus

The game's really weird about that... even if only a few variables are adjusted, sometimes it's possible continue, other times it errors out.