1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Free Troops from King for War

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - We The People' started by OzzyKP, Jan 31, 2020.

1. raystuttgart

raystuttgart Civ4Col Modder

The ship is exactly the same as before.
    (It is the "Royal Ship of the Line" which can transport troops.)

2. CptBadger

CptBadger Chieftain

Ah. Called "Man-o-war" in my version, hence my confusion.

3. raystuttgart

Sorry, I sometimes fall back into German and sometimes I think in UnitClasses instead of Units. :)

CptBadger likes this.
  4. Nenos

Nenos Chieftain

I also prefer the reduction of the royal units. 3 Hessians and 1 Royal Canon.

By the way. I think I found an option to add units to war und remove it.
    The Grounding Father Ethan Allan offer you 2 Ranger. We can use these units because they are unique. Just rename them and replace the model. But in these cases, we have to remove the unit ranger.

I like to add the Hessians in the main harbor as a buyable unit. The same price as a Ship of Line.

5. Schmiddie

Schmiddie Emperor

a) I would never remove the unit ranger :trouble:
    b) Why would this have an impact regarding the question if the player gets units if called to war by the king? :think:

CptBadger likes this.
  6. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Prince Supporter

I suggest to not give Hessians at all in early to midgame. Hessians were soldiers leant by several (mostly hessian but not all) princes to the british King for use in his wars. Most famously the American Revolution but in some other evens (irish rebellion of 1798). However "Hessians" were a thing of the 18th century when british manpower was too low to send armies made of english (or be honest even during the Peninsular Campaign in Spain vs. Bonaparte the british soldiers consisted to a third of irish). But from the start of the game, 1492, for the first 250 years there should be no "Hessians".

7. raystuttgart

I would not want it either, do not worry. :thumbsup:

Also, Rangers are not only given by Founding Father.
    There is also a DLL-Event if you build inland cities and a Python Event that can give Rangers.

However:
    A) We do have an issue with Ranger currently. The feature "Invisibility" causes a rare tiny bug. (It is in our issue list.)
    B) The Ranger is currently not strong enough and needs to be rebalanced (made more valuable considering special effects by e.g. Promotions).

Summary on Ranger:
    Most likely the Ranger will get new Promotions to become a little bit more valuable.
    We will most likely also change / fix "Invisibility" of Rangers or if needed remove "Invisibility".
    The Ranger itself will not be removed though.

The issue (ticket) is already assigned to me, and it will most likely be implemented in Release 2.8 as well.

I think the post was totally unrelated to the current thread.
    It was just about asking "to remove the Ranger".

Schmiddie likes this.
  8. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Yeah, I like it. Just reducing the number of units solves all my concerns, but it was such a welcome event that I'd hate to lose it.

9. raystuttgart

This was now implemented as well. :)
    (Basically Ranger was just rebalanced a bit.)
    • For now "Invisibility" was deactivated in UnitInfos.xml. (only Unit using it was Ranger anyways)
    • The ranger got 2 new Promotions instead. (most importantly "Sight" was increased by 1)
    • Of course Colopedia Text was adjusted as well.
    Rangers are indeed a really strong Unit - but they are of course rare since given by events (DLL-Diplo-Event and Python Events) and one Founding Father only.
    (Their main purpose is to be a "Terrain Defender". They are really useful especially in WOI.)

Edit:
    The feature "Invisibiliy" still exists as capability in the mod.
    Currently however it is not properly working. My implementation was not really optimal.
    It is possible to cause issues - even though they are rare and can only occur for AI rangers.
    Thus it was just deactivated for the moment for the Unit Ranger - the only Unit using it currently. (in UnitInfos.xml)
    We might fix and expand it though in the future.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  10. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Thx, rangers were pretty meh. Hopefully they will be more welcome.

OzzyKP likes this.