Free Upload Servers?

Exsanguination

No longer here
Can someone direct me to a good online upload server that's free. I need about 15-20 megs of storage space. I want to upload my files to this server (much like here at CFC) and make them available for download through my geocities website. They are mostly MS Word .doc files.

Any help?

Although I wouldn´t suggest it, you can use a Lycos/tripod account.
www.lycos.com
It should be free, but it is slow and even slower.
:D

How do I upload things on Lycos? I got an account but can't find anywhere to upload thigns :crazyeye:. I only plan on using this as a temproary server, I'd like a reliable one for my premanent server.

Well, you login at Lycos, then you go to Build a Homepage. There are several info pages as how to upload. You can use the WebFTP service they provide or use any other FTP software.

With any FTP client, you usually have to login to for example ftp.members.lycos.co.uk (or whereever you registered). Use your username and your pass you´ve chosen when you registered.
Then just upload the files.
It will then be available at http://members.lycos.co.uk/your username/ (or at whatever part of Lycos you have registered).

I think I got it working. I just needed figure out how to sign up for a webpage :). Thanks Lucky.

However, if what Lucky says is true, I'm still on the hunt for a reliable, free server. Any suggestions?

Reliable and free can't be associated... You're really lucky if you find something with interesting speed for free. Since you don't need much space, I suggest looking with your ISP, since a lot of them offer their members a small webspace... Mine only offers 5 Mbs, but I think there are a few that allow more than that... If they have nothing for you, then the best free host is probably still lycos... If it's not suitable for your needs, then I'd suggest to search on google for "free hosts" and hope to find something interesting. There is a lot of them, all with different things to offer, different speed, features etc... But if you need something really reliable, money (or luck) are the only answers, sadly... :(

Yea I found that out the hard way :(. Lycos won't allow me to use it as a remote server, and they already disabled my account :mad:. I'll see if my ISP offers anything.

EDIT: My ISP (Ntelos) does have a free FTP service. I uploaded my file (zip) to the server, and now I've come to a wall: How do I allow others to d/l that file? I've never used FTP before, so I'm pretty much clueless. I can't just hand out my user name and password - not only is it against the Terms & Conditions agreement, it would be totally :smoke: to give out that kind of info. Can anyone shed some light on how to do this? My deadline is Tuesday (actually tomorrow preferably), so I need help quick! :D

Not quite that easy.

It depends if your ISP supports your own webpage.
If it does then do the following:

1. create a path called public_html in your FPT root directory
2. put your files there
3. give the link to your friends, should be something like
http://www.yourISP.com/yourname/text.doc or ...com/members/yourname/text.doc or anything like that. The ISP should tell you what to link to. The important part for webaccess is the public_html path.

www.lycos.cok.uk took away your account? Wow, that sucks ass...they are who I would have suggested.....Maybe you can build another page there.....and make a fake page dealing with civ; then give a link to the download page for people to download the files from...just don't give a direct link because they will see then that the downloads are coming thru www.civfanatics.com/forum/blah_blah.html and see that you are link off-site. If you send them to www.lycos.co.uk/Exsanguination/download_page.html and then have them click on a link it should not be a problem. Also, remember to have that index.html page there with some info on it along with the download_page.html so think you have an active website and not just storage.

Yes folder!

But not every at webstorage you need a public_html path. Some have that path already a few levels below your account, so everything you put up there is automatically on the web. But most ISPs need that path to distinguish between network data and internet data.

Good idea PaleHorse... but I got it. Lucky was right on the ball. I was anxious so I called my ISP and they did exactly what Lcuky said to do... except I can't move files on my own, so I actually had to call them... ay.

Well, if any of you are interested, here is the file: Check it out.
(its an Epic report).

Thanks guys! :)

Top Bottom