1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Free Will - Does it exist?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by lovett, Mar 11, 2008.

?

Does free will exist?

1. Yes

60.0%
  2. No

14.0%
  3. Shut up

26.0%
  1. lovett

lovett Chieftain

I'd like to hear the opinion of the distinguished CFC community on this weighty issue (;))

Namley, whether free will exists, given either a deterministic or indeterministic world. Or, for that matter, any other world one cares to imagine.

To those lazy b******* who can't be bothered to click links:

:)

---

Determinism posits a universe in which all events are determined. The present and future are created solely by a chain of past events (operating in a system of fixed physical laws). Thus, once the initial moments of the universe occur, the rest of history inevitably follows.

This can be illustrated with classsical physics: As all physical entitities operate within a set of fixed laws the effect of an initial event is allready pre-set. I.e, if one throws a ball at another ball the velocity, momentum and so on of both balls after X seconds is inevitable. If one throws a billion balls at a billion other balls the same inevitability is in evidence, but is much harder to compute. The assumption is that this can be extended to every particle in the universe.

Evidently, if all future events are determined, it is hard to see where free will is possible.

---

Indeterminism is the supposition that certain events happen at least partly at random. This would mean that future events are not determined from the initial conditions of the universe.

Quantum physics can be said to support this: Take radioactive decay.
    If we have a lump of uranium containing several billion atoms we know that one of those atoms is going to 'decay' very soon. However every single one of those atoms is physically identical to every other one. Thus there is no factor which decided which atom actually decays. It happens at random. Indeterministically.

What I find particularily interesting about this is that it posits that something (atomic decay) can come from nothing (the lack of a distinguishing factor).
    However, I see no more shrift for free will in this system.

I.e, To exist, free will must, for a start, exist.
    By definition, for the affect to be completely random it must not be affected by anything that exists. Something cannot affect nothing. Therefore, it is difficult to see how any self-directed free willl is possible here.

---

So, does free will exist?

And if not, what are the (particularily moral) ramifications of this?

2. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Harry Moses :faint:, this is a silly question. Of course there is free will!

3. ybbor

ybbor Will not change his avata

I think there was someone on this board who once said (Stratego? Narz?) "the illusion of free will is so complete, it may as well be real." Sure, you can make all kinds of arguments about physical matter blah blah blah but in the end, if free will doesn't exist it doesn't really matter, since it would produce the same outcomes as if free will did exist.

4. BasketCase

BasketCase Username sez it all

What is free will, exactly?

Your definition of indeterminism included the word "random" in it. Can of worms time. Randomness is not freedom. If you decide to do something because a random atom suddenly experienced quantum decay and fired a neuron in your brain somewhere, that's not you acting of your own accord. You're still acting as a result of an outside event.

Generally, when the word "freedom" is spoken, you take it to mean the future is determined by you. You get to actually make a decision. Which is basically just a different form of determinism--it's just that you're the "outside force" influencing the world, instead of the other way around.

But how do you actually go about "making a decision"? It can't be random. What we want, when we desire freedom, is to look at everything around us, think about those things, and then choose what we're going to do. We don't want that choice to be entirely due to outside influences--but we don't want that choice to be completely random either. Random impulses cause us to shoot up schoolyards and strangle our girlfriends and stuff.

If there is such a thing as true freedom to make our own choices, it must be neither deterministic nor indeterministic, but something on a whole different level we don't yet understand.

Either that or it's probably all deterministic but we can't tell because we don't know what the rules are. :)

5. Elrohir

Elrohir RELATIONAL VALORIZATION

Either I chose to click "Yes" in the poll because I chose to believe free will exists, or I clicked yes in the poll because it's been determined that I should behave and act like I have free will even though I don't.

Either way, I still clicked yes.

6. Integral

Integral Can't you hear it?

I think it was Bozo? :hmm:

--

The question is ill-defined. We're going to get bogged down in what "freedom" means, or just how random "random" is, or other semantic quibbles.

*munches on popcorn*

7. Cu Chulainn

Cu Chulainn The Unoriginal

Does it change anything if it doesn't?

8. Elrohir

Elrohir RELATIONAL VALORIZATION

Yeah, it was definitely Bozo Erectus. Stop stealing his semi-wise quotations!

9. QuoVadisNation

QuoVadisNation keeping your angel alive

Even if you accept the deterministic arguments, the point is that the thing or the illusion known as free will still exists and people act as if free will exists. You don't go into a fast food chain and say, 'I wonder what my genotype is going to order today..', you just decide from an assortment of options. And that's all that really matters in the end.

10. West 36

West 36 Can count up to 4

My thoughts to. It's not as if it really changes things. Everything thats happened has been a result of either free will, determinism, or something in between, and it will continue to be that way. Was I meant to make this post or was it done on my free will? There are good arguments both ways so I can't really take a stand, as each side can be spun to make it look perfectly reasonable. I do think there is the general idea that free will exists, but I think it's not necessarily based on reason but that people like the idea of it. They think its cute, and must be real since it involves 'freedom' and freedom is always the way things work.

I don't know. Let's see what Fifty says.

11. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

Bozo, see my sig.

12. Abaddon

Abaddon Chieftain

It was Bozo.. Birdjaguar has it in his sig.

#edit: lol, nice X-post :D

13. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

In any case the universe is as it is and the question is already decided. What we all believe/want it to be is of no consequence in the matter.

14. Defiant47

Defiant47 Peace Sentinel

That's the best method of assessing this question I've seen so far.

It depends entirely on what you believe to be free will. Is the fact that the future exists (and thus our actions will already be what they will be in the future) refute free will?

15. BasketCase

BasketCase Username sez it all

Okay, so if we do have free will.....then the universe is as it is, meaning it's already been predetermined that we have free will, which means we never had a choice in whether to receive free will.....

:wallbash:

Now I've got a headache..... :D

16. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Howdy

It's all in your head. If you allow yourself to believe in free will, then free will exists.

My screwy philosophical $0.02

17. ArneHD

ArneHD Just a little bit mad

There is no room in psychology for free will as far as I know, but determinism fails on the quantum level. You need a third option.

And for the record: I voted no. I see particular reason for free will in the scientific sense.

18. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

No, the illusion of free will exists. I'm not talking determinism, I'm talking being influenced into a decision. After which you are sure you made it on your own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOEKdaXIEHc

19. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Temporary Pattern...reassembling...

I think Einstein once said "Maybe people can do what they want, but they can't want what their want."
    I should go to work, but there are many things I'd rather do. It would be so much easier if I really wanted to go to work.
    But then again my definition of freedom always included the ability to act voluntarily against your own will.

20. AL_DA_GREAT

AL_DA_GREAT amour absinthe révolution

It is all biology. Our thoughts are just a nueral network.