1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Freeze the files

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Moyocoya, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Moyocoya

Moyocoya Chieftain

Hi everybody !

After more than 3,000 hours playing, and more than 60 mods, my version of Civilization VI is perfect for me. I don't want any change no more.
    I'd like to freeze my files and avoid any update of mods as well as updates of vanilla files from Firaxis.

Do you know a way to avoid automatic updates from Steam ?

Thank you very much for your answers !

2. Moyocoya

Moyocoya Chieftain

Or maybe a way to save the files ?

3. kaspergm

kaspergm Warlord

I suppose if you set Steam to offline mode, it will not update your files, although this may interfere with other games you may be playing.

4. Moyocoya

Moyocoya Chieftain

Yes, but in that case, I can no longer have any access to new games or to mods for other games. Unfortunately that is not a solution :-(

5. ezysquire

ezysquire Chieftain

Surely new civs would be enough to not want to freeze things over. There will be more it seems.

6. Moyocoya

Moyocoya Chieftain

Why not ? I really don't care to have new civs. What I care for is to avoid having half of my mods broken for weeks every time Firaxis releases an update.

7. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Make a copy of the Game and Workshop folders for Civ VI, and if a game update comes just copy over it. For mods, you can desubscribe, and place them in the mods folder in My Documents.

8. CaptainUnknown

CaptainUnknown Chieftain

Steam supports turning off automatic updates. This can be found in the properties settings. As for mods, I do recommend just copying your local mod directory. But I will take a look and see if there is a way to make it more automatic.

Attached Files:

9. Karmah

Karmah Chieftain Supporter

As I undertand, you aren't skilled in programming so I leave the part where I would make a script to automatically rollback my files.
    If that is the case :
    * make an archive (zip or whatever) or all the files.
    * Adding a text file wheree you carefully write the location of each directory (on the explorer windows+e , you can copy the path of the directory, right click ,copy adress as text)
    * Alternatively most archiver allows you to save the files with their 'absolute path' , which would avoid the pain of manually copy pasting the locations.

*Then save this archive somewhere on the cloud (google drive or whatever) .

10. kaspergm

kaspergm Warlord

If you unsubscribe from all mods, won't that stop them from updating automatically? :think:

11. cain3456

cain3456 Chieftain

Oh hell no. I still want another expansion with corporations

Elhoim and kaspergm like this.
  12. CaptainUnknown

CaptainUnknown Chieftain

I think unsubscribing actually removes them locally, or at least from the mod sqlite database. I was playing on linux the other day and my windows subscriptions were auto-downloaded and caused a UI bug. When I unsubscribed from them steam re-synced and they were removed from disk.

13. Moyocoya

Moyocoya Chieftain

Hi !

Thank you all for your answers.

I would not dare to save files manually, since I am not good at programming, not sure to save all the necessary files and not sure that saving files will be enough.
    I did not find as well any mean to turn off automatic updates as CaptainUnknown suggested. I search every menu, button, aso, and found nothing.

The only thing I found is that you can schedule updates; so that's what I did, scheduling between 3 and 4 am, and I turn off my computer during the night. Of course the problem is that nothing updates, but I suppose I'll be able to download manually specific files for other games. We'll see : in fact I am waiting for updates to test this :)

I also found a cloud archive function I used for Civ6. But I did not dare to download my own archive. I'll try if I get problems with updates.

14. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Chieftain

That is not programming, that is literally just copy and paste.

You take all your mod and game files and copy them, as they are today, somewhere else so they don't get written over when something updates. Then after an update has occurred, you just paste those files to the original and you are back in time. It would be tedious and a but annoying as you would need to be on the watch for any game or mod update, but to freeze your files in time that is what you gotta do unless you want to learn some programming to help automate the process.

15. Moyocoya

Moyocoya Chieftain

@DJ_Tanner
    OK, so what you mean is that if I keep a copy of :
    D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI
    and D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\workshop
    I'll have all the files needed to get Civilization VI back as it was ? No other files hidden somewhere ? Is it as simple as that ?

16. Wizard-Bob

Wizard-Bob Always remember to Find Your FUN!

To preserve your custom settings and Save files, I would also copy C:\Users\(YourName)\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI

17. seankhan

seankhan Chieftain

create a new hdd partition copy and paste steam(offlinemode) with civ 6 and then firewall block it entirely.create new shortcuts.