Freezing in the early ADs

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Technical Support' started by Siyahamba, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Siyahamba

Siyahamba Chieftain

I haven't been able to play a game past 150AD or so because of freeze-ups. The tell-tale sign that trouble is ahead is that the video will get sluggish when moving around, and then I'll get the "Civilization V has stopped working" message.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the freezing, no certain number of turns, just around that early AD era.

Things I have tried that I can think of:
    - deleting local content and redownloading the game
    - updating all drivers
    - starting in DX9 instead of DX10/11
    - lowering graphic settings, all the way to minimum
    - using small maps with few other civilizations

I've attached a DxDiag. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. timtofly

timtofly One Day

The system is getting overheated, or the power supply is failing. If it is not a heat issue, or Power issue, it seems ECS only sales Nvidea. The board may have conflict issues with ATI. There may be a memory issue also. Try adding memory or changing memory modules. The only thing I can add, is look for a motherboard that is being sold with ATI 5800's in mind. It should work fine, but V has plenty of issues and at AMD's web site the 5800 series also had issues. There are a lot of variables to sort out.

3. Siyahamba

Siyahamba Chieftain

Thanks for the suggestions. I managed to fix it. I went through and uninstalled Civilization V and Steam, then deleted all remaining files and folders, then reinstalled. It still runs choppy in the AD era, and it freezes some between turns but it recovers and doesn't crash to desktop.