French civ ruler in Civ4 : Louis XIV please !

kryszcztov

Deity
Firaxis and everyone else, this is the thread to speak of who should rule France in Civ4.

Civ history :
Civ1 : Napoleon. Nice choice, was happy with it, but I was quite young. Napoleon represents a lot for France, as many of his achievements were left untouched or almost until now.
Civ2 : Louis XIV, known as the 'Sun King'. Got a bit shocked to see a new face, but I was still quite young and naive. ;) His personality in the game was quite accurate, I believe. A tough leader to talk to. AI's France would always be strong, ready to go to war, and ahead in science and economy. But he would sometimes crumble before more militaristic civs (Louis wasn't always victorious).
Civ3 : Joan of Arc. :lol: I understood that it was a marketing issue while playing the game (movie by Luc Besson, woman...). A bit strange to see her as a civ ruler at the same time that great leaders were introduced in the game, a role she per-fec-tly fills in !!! :crazyeye: Please get rid of her. And to think that the Front National (the French National Party) celebrates her on May 1st every year... :blush:

Louis XIV is the Sun King, the French king who ruled for decades at France's peak. During his reign, arts, science, carftwork flourished, as can be seen in the Château de Versailles. He is the man who said "The State is me" ("L'Etat, c'est moi."), the quintessential word about the absolute monarchy. France's population was the largest in Europe, its military was very strong and conquered many territories once for all. He had many capable ministers and advisors, who helped France to remain strong while the country was facing problems.
Louis XIV was a king, ie. a civ ruler. He ruled during France's golden age, and is a strong figure of France's history. There is no equivalent ruler.
Louis as French ruler in Civ4 please.

And I don't believe that many people know about Charlemagne, Napoleon and de Gaulle, and not about a few kings like Louis XIV. Or at least know France had strong rulers at other times in history.

Of course this is all my personal opinion. If you're up to debate (with Civ4 in background of course), please do. I might learn some stuff along as well, I'm open to personal enlightment.

OK for Louis XIV. But Napoleaon or De Gaulle would do just fine.

PLEASE!!! Anybody but Joan of Arc. Can we have actual country leaders for... country leader? ;)

It's like Admiral Nelson would be the leader of England or something... Nonesense.

I support your initiative ;)

I agree upon Louis XIV. to be the better choice than Jean d'Arc.
Anybody suggesting Charlemagne should first read a bit about European history, I guess ;-)
Charles de Gaulle? I don't know. Was he that significant? I don't think so. Why not Napoleon III., then? ;-)
After all, Louis XIV. seems to fit best.

I actually liked Joan d'Arc... but that's just me. :)

Seeing as he was prime minister and the *effective* head of state, I still hold that Richelieu (who is actually responsible for nearly everything Louis XIV was able to do) would be a great pick for a leader.

Commander Bello said:
I agree upon Louis XIV. to be the better choice than Jean d'Arc.
Anybody suggesting Charlemagne should first read a bit about European history, I guess ;-)
Charles de Gaulle? I don't know. Was he that significant? I don't think so. Why not Napoleon III., then? ;-)
After all, Louis XIV. seems to fit best.

I agree that Charlemagne shouldnt be there. De Gaulle? I just like him that's all. Besides, it would be fun to have an arrogant De Gaulle has enemy leaderhead :D

My favorite would be Napoleon but I'd be happy with Louis XIV.

Louis XIV was a self-indulgent pig. Napoleon all the way!

They say that there will be 28 world leaders. Maybe France will have more than just one? Not sure.
But having variety is good. Maybe Joan along with Louis or Napoleon?

Yeah, excellent choice. He was still a leader per se, and Napoleon and Joan would be much better suited as great-leader type people.

Besides, anyone who studied French history knows of him at least nominally.

Thanks for the feedback. :) But I'd like people to argue about their choice, rather than telling their favourite leader.

@ Chieftess : I quite don't care you like Joan. What interests me a bit more is why you like her, and even more if/why you'd like to have her as the French leader in Civ4. Can you counter my points ?

@ Sullla : Get over with your female leader addiction ! :lol: I think you'd enjoy it more to see her emerge from a battle and lead your troops. ;)

@ Corvex & Quebec Patriote : Why Napoleon over Louis ?

@ Oda Nobunaga : I always get confused with Mazarin and Richelieu. A quick google shows that your Richelieu died in 1642. Louis XIV was born in 1638. :rolleyes: Even if Richelieu accomplished a lot, he wasn't king nor ruler, he didn't act for long, and he didn't meet Louis XIV. I think you were thinking of Mazarin (1602-1661). Anyway, those two would be perfect as advisors if the game had any (to add diversity to the civs' charateristics).

@ CivCube : So what ? Does it disqualify him from being a ruler ? I'd say the opposite. :D

@ Civrules : No way. France could have 50 rulers, and I wouldn't even have Joan anyway. Joan didn't rule France ever, why do you make her a French leader in Civ ?

@ BorgeoisBuffoon : Napoleon would have been perfect as a military great leader... if he had stayed Bonaparte !! But he became Consul and then Emperor, he ruled France during 15 years, and accomplished so many things outside the military sphere. That disqualifies him from being an MGL. Not from being a ruler. My 2nd choice, really. :) Too bad for people who want women, can you give me a great French female ruler ?

Just because someone did not have de jure power does not mean they did not have de facto power. Charles Martel, for example. For that reason I do believe that Richelieu would be a candidiate, though I would prefer Napoleon.

Joan of Arc as a great military leader is right, but not as the nation leader. She was only chosen because the game designers wanted to include a few more female leaderheads. I'd be happy with Napoleon, Charles de Gaulle, or Louis XIV as teh French leader.

I agree, But there should be a gender choice in the game like in previous Civ games.

Top Bottom