French presidential election 2017

Macron has been busy. Had a Which Future for Europe discussion with Gabrial and Habermas (starts 54 minutes in), and has discussed the future of Europe with Merkel as well.

And En Marche has released their policies on Europe: Une Europe qui protège les Européens.

A reddit user partly translated it to English:
Introduction

For 10 years, Europe’s supporters have been hanging their heads in shame because for so long Europe and sovereignty have been opposed. It is now time to affirm that, on the big challenges of our era, on our security, on migrations, trade or digitalisation, the true sovereignty comes from an European common action, in a renewed democratic background. Europe must focus on these challenges and must dare to defend its interests and its values throughout the world.

Those who want to weaken Europe will let France alone in front of the threats our times are facing : Europe will be for us a supplementary protection in this new world we see emerging.

Propositions

1/ Goal n°1 : Take the time to debate and re-establish trust in Europe
  • We'll propose to launch democratic conventions throughout Europe from the end of 2017. During six to ten months, in each State, a European debate will be organised on the content of the Union’s action and the priorities it should focus on. Nourished with the debates, the European governments will set up a short roadmap, with some common challenges and precise actions, drawing the priority actions of the Union and the introduction calendar for the coming five years.
  • We'll introduce pan-European electoral lists for the 73 MEPs corresponding to the British sieges. If the Brexit negotiations calendar allows it, the change would be introduced as soon as in the 2019 European elections.
2/ Goal n°2 : Strengthen the Union on the five dimensions of sovereignty
  • Europe of security
    • We'll propose to reinforce Frontex, by giving it surveillance and protection capabilities for the external borders, with the goal of new 5,000 mobilisable men for the agency.
    • We'll propose to develop global partnerships with the main countries of departure and transit of the migrants, based on development aids, the setting of check-points in these countries before the migrants get to E.U., the help to fight smugglers and the return of migrants that have not been authorised to stay in the E.U. The respect of the engagements will be controlled during an annual conference and will determine the level of development aid.
    • We'll propose to create a European Fund for defence that will finance common military equipments, such as European drones, and joint programs of military R&D.
    • We'll propose to introduce a European permanent HQ to schedule and control the European defensive operations, in strong relation with national commands and NATO.
    • We'll propose to create a European Security Council gathering the most skilful military, diplomatic and intelligence personals of each member state.
    • We'll propose to introduce a true European intelligence system to make the intelligence actions easier : a centralised data base with an obligatory exchange of information, accessible to the intelligence services of each member state.
    • We'll propose to strengthen and harmonise the security of European IDs with biometric technologies.
  • Europe of growth
    • We'll propose to introduce a budget for the eurozone with three functions : investments for the future, financial help for emergencies and response to economic crisis. The access to this budget will be granted on the respect of common rules on fiscal and social orientations to avoid dumping in our Union.
    • We'll propose to create a new position of Minister of Economics and Finance of the Eurozone, in charge of the Eurozone's budget, under the control of a Eurozone Parliament, composed of MEPs of Eurozone member states.
    • We'll demand to introduce a common base of European social rights : minimum standards for the right to a formation, health coverage, unemployment insurance and minimum wage.
  • A protecting Europe in the globalisation
    • We'll stand for the reinforcement of anti-dumping tools, which must be more deterrent and reactive (ex: to fight against unfair competition on steel from China or India)
    • We'll stand for a "Buy European Act" to reserve the access of European public markets to companies that have more than half of their production in Europe.
    • We'll propose to introduce a European tool of control on foreign investments in Europe to preserve our interests in strategic sectors.
    • We'll propose to create a "European Trade Prosecutor" to control the respect of engagements by the member states and punish those who don't respect them, especially in social, environmental and fiscal fields.
    • We'll demand to introduce in all E.U. trade deals a section about fiscal cooperation, as well as social and environmental provisions
    • We'll propose to introduce vigilance comities with NGOs during the negotiations of trade deals in order to evaluate their application and impacts.
  • Europe of sustainable development
    • We'll reform the European carbon market, with a minimum tax for the ton of carbon.
    • We'll make the CAP more protective and reactive, with mechanisms of stabilisation on incomes adapted to each sector and with a more environmental-friendly agriculture to lead the future of the industry.
  • Europe of digitalisation
    • We'll promote the introduction of a European Fund to finance the growth of European start-ups (minimum 5 billions €)
    • We'll renegotiate the Privacy Shield with the U.S. in 2018 to regulate the American big internet companies in our continent and guarantee the protection of personal data.
3/ Goal n°3 : Strengthen the European identity
  • We'll propose to progressively generalise the Erasmus program with the goal of 200,000 young French a year (25% of the age group) doing a semester in Europe by 2022.
  • We'll create a European status for the trainees to facilitate their mobility in the continent.
It looks overall very good to me. :)

Thoughts?

I'm not sure how Macron intends to get this passed by every single member state.

Piketty, in charge of Hamon's European program, is proposing that if countries representing 80% of the population or of the GDP of the EU accept a text it is automatically accepted.
To make the EU more democratic he proposed the creation of a European assembly to replace the minister's council that dictates the EU's financial policies. It would be composed of MPs from the member states' parliaments, and they would elect an EU minister of finance.

Every time I read about something done by the right in Europe I see them described as 'far right'. Are there no moderate right parties or is this news media smear?

Wut ? There are plenty of right wing parties in Europe. One (center right) just won the Dutch election, in France we have a right wing party who was the favorite to win until 2 months ago, I don't think anyone has ever called the British tories far right etc... The right exists in literally every single European country, and is leading the government in most. Merkel is the prime example.

Merkel is a right wing politician? I'm astonished.

She's the leader of the christian democratic party, ie the main German right wing political party. The fact that she had one moment of "weakness" and proved that she indeed has a heart when it came to refugees doesn't change the fact that she's implemented looser work regulation in Germany, leading to less unemployment at the cost of more poor working families : the right's dream. She is also one of the major enforcer of austerity measures in the EU, and has been particularly harsh against Greece (it took all of Hollande and Tusk's diplomatic skill to convince her not to throw Greece out in July '15).

Macron has been busy. Had a Which Future for Europe discussion with Gabrial and Habermas (starts 54 minutes in), and has discussed the future of Europe with Merkel as well.

And En Marche has released their policies on Europe: Une Europe qui protège les Européens.

A reddit user partly translated it to English:
It looks overall very good to me. :)

Thoughts?

Stinking bullcrap. It aims at a "federal Europe" that is entirely undemocratic. Do you see anything there about who will control all these new mechanisms? How exactly will they be organized?

Europe of Growth? By the same people who brought us the "growth and stability pact" that brought neither growth nor stability, instead created the opposite? By the architects of the commercial block with the worse performance in the world over the past 15 years? We're supposed to believe they can do better, with the same people and the same methods? It's insulting, I'm not an idiot.

Protecting europe in globalization? Bu the same people who pushed through CETA without ratification from parliaments? They all signed up for a trade treaty that voluntarily forsakes sovereignty, the capability of states to intervene in the economy, and by extension on society. The capability to improve the lives of their citizens, that is being forsaken: "the market" and the corporations will take care of that, presumably. Hogwash. They're trying to hand over power to multinational corporations accountable to no government, no state. And in exchange receive bribes from those corporations, in the shape of money for political campaigns and richly paid jobs whet they retire. Again, I'm not an idiot. I know what these people really stand for, I've been watching. As have you all.

Europe of Security. Let's create an european army (accountable to whom, exactly?) so that a few decades from now we can fight (another) european civil war against any state that dares try to leave, against any population that dares not accept the "majority rule" that is being slowly introduced into the EU. Power ultimately rests in the barrel of a gun, remember. I can see where this leads. As should you.

Macron is the single worst candidate in this election. A total disaster. I trust he won't be able to push this through even if he wins, but mark my words: it if is tried we will have civil war in Europe. This is a programme inimical to the population, and too people have already seen through the propaganda to accept this without a fight. I'd actually go and vote for Le Pen, I'd vote for the Devil himself against Macron, after reading this!

Gotta admit, there is a lot of dichotomy between Macron's titles in his program and what is actually written under them.
That's nearly schizophrenic.

A common euro army is not realistic, unless it is not to deter (let alone used against) a serious enemy power. It is ludicrous, really, to think that with the level of animosity and mistrust (or even hatred) brought by the austerity etc, you would expect soldiers from opposite geographical edges of Europe to risk death so as to defend the other country.

Every time I read about something done by the right in Europe I see them described as 'far right'. Are there no moderate right parties or is this news media smear?

Merkel is a right wing politician? I'm astonished.

That's because you're thinking in terms of the American political landscape. Over here Liberalism is considered a right wing ideology in regards to the economy and the Democratic Party is overall center right. The Republicans -even "moderate" Republicans- would be considered extremist and are in line with the AfD, Wilders' party or UKIP.
Merkel is the leader of the CDU, the Christian Democratic Union. They're opposing gay marriage, drug legalization, euthanasia and favor supply side economics and stricter restictions on abortion, and our CDU finance minister Wolfgang Schäuble is quite a deficit hawk.
They have also introduced tuition fees for universities in some states, but those were largely abolished after protests or changes in local government.

She's the leader of the christian democratic party, ie the main German right wing political party. The fact that she had one moment of "weakness" and proved that she indeed has a heart when it came to refugees doesn't change the fact that she's implemented looser work regulation in Germany, leading to less unemployment at the cost of more poor working families : the right's dream. She is also one of the major enforcer of austerity measures in the EU, and has been particularly harsh against Greece (it took all of Hollande and Tusk's diplomatic skill to convince her not to throw Greece out in July '15).

That moment of "weakness" was also pretty much inevitable when milions of people are fleeing a civi war. We can't just shoot people at the order no matter what the AfD says.
And it's always worth mentioning that one of the first CDU proposals for a quicker "integration" of Syrian refugees was to make them exempt from the minimum wage that was passed in 2015.

A common euro army is not realistic, unless it is not to deter (let alone used against) a serious enemy power. It is ludicrous, really, to think that with the level of animosity and mistrust (or even hatred) brought by the austerity etc, you would expect soldiers from opposite geographical edges of Europe to risk death so as to defend the other country.

Dude, Greece is still in NATO. As is Turkey.

Dude, Greece is still in NATO. As is Turkey.

Yes. Do you see greek soldiers going to defend Turkey?

Likewise noting that a common Eu army can function in a ceremonial manner, but not as a force to defend Europe against an enemy. Eg if (say) Russia would declare war on some baltic state, one shouldn't hold his breath for south euro armies to bother.

So, when will be Fillon arrested?

Thank you all for your updates. Regarding the policies for a Europe of digitalisation

We'll promote the introduction of a European Fund to finance the growth of European start-ups (minimum 5 billions €)

Welfare for NERD CEOs.

We'll renegotiate the Privacy Shield with the U.S. in 2018 to regulate the American big internet companies in our continent and guarantee the protection of personal data

Mistake to try to renegotiate anything with US corporates. They will lobby and outmanoeuvre you all the way.
Better to adopt Chinese policy. You do business in our union and with our citizens on our terms or not at all.

So, when will be Fillon arrested?

Probably never. He has been indicted, but his trial won't be for severall months/years, and then will come the appeal, and then he'll try to break the judgement on a procedure quirk, and then if he's still condemned he could (if the judge thought he deserved to do jail time) get sent to jail. Most likely he'll get a fine and an ineligibility sentence (for like 2 years), in like 4 years.

Top Bottom