French presidential election 2024

Mostly young urban voters yes, and a few rural areas where pollution is a huge factor (like some alpine valleys where truck transit is a major issue). But generally what this election proved is that the left attracts mostly urban voters. Mélenchon did his best scores in low income urban centers and did poorly in low income rural areas (he did way worse than 5 years ago at least)

I think young urban voters going green and failing miserably in rural areas is true worldwide.

Last words there, with a sorry towards moderation :

Did France enforced an embargo the Us had to follow this last seventy years or was it the opposite ?

No more words from my part on this thread.

Anyone is free to read economists, philosophers and historians so he may understand the word better and avoid manicheism.

On the subject, M. Macron is elected as estimated. Next are the legislatives in few weeks which shall be in favorable to the Europeist ideological bloc too (probably with inertia having still quite some PS and LR historical elects keeping their place)

This is completely incoherent to me...

Left doing well in France and Colombia

Macron loses majority as French vote fragments

Less than two months after he was re-elected president, Emmanuel Macron has lost control of the French National Assembly following a strong performance by a left alliance and the far right.

Far-left leader Jean-Luc Mélenchon was enjoying his success in bringing together mainstream parties from the left with Communists and Greens into an alliance called Nupes.
Meanwhile, Marine Le Pen and her far-right National Rally party were also in jubilant mood after turning eight seats into 89.

It was all so different in April, when he defeated Marine Le Pen convincingly and won a second term as president. He had more than 300 seats, but to maintain his outright majority he needed 289 - and fell well short with 245.
More than half of voters abstained, with a turnout of 46.23%.

Ex-rebel fighter Gustavo Petro wins Colombia’s presidency

Gustavo Petro, a former rebel fighter who has promised profound social and economic change, has won Colombia’s presidency.
Petro’s win in Sunday’s presidential runoff election will make him the country’s first left-wing president.

He won 50.4 percent of the vote, while his rival Rodolfo Hernandez, a construction magnate, had 47.3 percent.

A senator and a former mayor of Bogota, Petro’s victory underlined a drastic change in presidential politics for a country that has long marginalised the left for its perceived association with the armed conflict. Petro himself was once a rebel with the now-defunct M-19 movement and was granted amnesty after being jailed for his involvement with the group.

In his victory speech, Petro, 62, issued a call for unity and extended an olive branch to some of his harshest critics, saying all members of the opposition will be welcomed at the presidential palace “to discuss the problems of Colombia”.
“From this government that is beginning there will never be political persecution or legal persecution, there will only be respect and dialogue,” he said, adding that he will listen to not only those who have raised arms but also to “that silent majority of peasants, Indigenous people, women, youth”.​

Will Mélenchon have any real power?
I think he was not standing, so he will have no elected position. He must have some power on the sidelines.

a strong performance by a left alliance
3i7ncq (1).jpg

a strong performance by [...] the far right.
3i7ncq.jpg

Nah but seriously that's kind of...ambiguous? Idk, I guess it was expected that Macron's party would suffer in this election, no? My impression is that he won this more recent Presidential election mostly on the strength of not being Le Pen rather than people particularly liking him.

Basically Macron was afraid of not having a majority (it's the first time in decades, and first time at all since we changed some stuff on how the elections work together), so he attacked the left by saying they're against the republic and weird stuff like that, equating them with the far right. Which led to the left doing a little worse than expected 2 weeks ago, and the far right doing a lot better.
What it means is that he has to make a deal with the classic right wing party (but they seem to be reluctant to team up with him). The far right has a million times more power than in the last parliamentary election. And Macron is considering the possibility of calling for a new parliamentary election in a year.

The president can dissolve the assembly once a year. It's usually a risky play, only worth it if the assembly is literally ungovernable (almost the case this time). There's as much chance for Macron to get a majority then as for his opponents (for example the left) to get one.
Macron didn't call a vote this time, the assembly has a mandate for 5 years and last time was 2017.

The president can dissolve the assembly once a year. It's usually a risky play, only worth it if the assembly is literally ungovernable (almost the case this time). There's as much chance for Macron to get a majority then as for his opponents (for example the left) to get one.
Macron didn't call a vote this time, the assembly has a mandate for 5 years and last time was 2017.

Better than the UK system where the date of the next election is at the whim of the PM, although you would have to go back to 1974 to get 2 general elections in the same year.

Ah thanks!

Update : Macron has met representatives of all major parties/groups in parliament. The right is refusing to support the current government. Le Pen claims that Macron has proposed a deal to her that she refused. Most major members of Macron's party are currently playing nice to Le Pen and/or villifying the left to some degree. There's a poweful role in the assembly (president of the finance commission) that must be held by a member of the opposition, and apparently the right and Macron's people would prefer it to go the far right rather than to the left. We'll have a clearer picture in a week or two, but this shift of paradigm in who is an adversary and who is an enemy is without precedent since WW2.

Will Mélenchon have any real power?

None. He lost, failed to mobilize a sizeable part of the voters his coalition were targeting. Le Pen was the winner.

No other party will support Macron's appointed government, no one wants to join a sinking ship. Those whom he recruited from other parties are likely to start jumping out. I don't think this assembly will last long.

I think the general expectation is that he'll try to get Les Republicans on his side. Many people think that's realistic.
So the result of the left doing well will be for the government to move to the right? Makes sense :(

You can't really say that the left did well. It was barely 25 % of the votes, in a country that typically voted between 35 to 45 % for left-wing parties up to the 2010s.
It only seemed to do comparatively well because they finally started to get their head out of their butt and made a common list rather than fifty different parties.

You can't really say that the left did well. It was barely 25 % of the votes, in a country that typically voted between 35 to 45 % for left-wing parties up to the 2010s.
It only seemed to do comparatively well because they finally started to get their head out of their butt and made a common list rather than fifty different parties.
"comparatively well" is "well", because coming back from a voter slump has to indicate positive progress. It's not like they're going to magically create a landslide victory out of nowhere, is it?

"comparatively well" is "well", because coming back from a voter slump has to indicate positive progress. It's not like they're going to magically create a landslide victory out of nowhere, is it?
But that's the thing, they didn't came back from a voter slump. They got the same numbers of votes than during the presidential election, they just FINALLY managed to unite rather than disperse.
I guess you could say it's a "better result" in itself, but it's still pretty meh as far as voting go.
I don't think it'll do better as long as Mélenchon is the main drive. He's a pretty powerful personality, but he's really repellent to a large part of the electorate.

But that's the thing, they didn't came back from a voter slump. They got the same numbers of votes than during the presidential election, they just FINALLY managed to unite rather than disperse.
I guess you could say it's a "better result" in itself, but it's still pretty meh as far as voting go.
Ah, so the main difference is just there being an alliance this time around, okay. Fair enough.

Top Bottom