French Revolution, IMF, Comintern

srpt

Deist
here's a couple of ideas that might make modern times more interesting:

French Revolution
the first civ to switch civics to emancipation, and if they switch directly from hereditary rule, triggers either automatic war or bad relations with nearby monarchies. in general in modern times more animosity due to civics would be great, reflecting everything from the Holy Alliance to...

the IMF and the Comintern

wonders buildable with free market and state property respectively, (or perhaps combos of civics) with effects either like the apostolic palace or easy vassalization/capitulation, inevitably dividing the world in 2 until one collapses. relations between the 2 blocs would be capped at suspicious or worse, ie no automatic war but anything could start one. this should lead to outcomes that are interesting and historic but not deterministic. as a bonus, both have totally generic names so they will not look weird no matter where they are built.

personally I think this makes state property/communism make more sense in game terms since it works not just an economic strategy but also as a counter to the powerful civ that just built the IMF and is starting to dominte the globe.

you could make it even more interesting by treating the comintern power as a land power, with bonuses to vassalize its land neighbors, and the IMF as a sea power, with bonuses vassalizing civs with many ports. this would be a bit deterministic since persia and ethiopia would always lean left, khmer always right etc, but I could live with that. or...

you could throw in the Non-aligned movement with immunity to vassalization by the other 2 blocs but capping relations with them at cautious, and a bonus with other non-aligned civs. this could be a national wonder and protect on a civ by civ basis, buildable a bit later than the other 2.

I also think that you should have to abandon your state religion to build the IMF or the Comintern.

You sir, Are a genius

ok I think I've thought of a way to make this work with quite minimal coding, using the regular domination and diplomatic victories. here's how it could work:

the IMF and the Comintern would be world wonders and would allow more, or all of, the vassals land and/or population percentages to be counted towards the domination victory. they would also give diplomatic plusses or minuses with the civs with appropriate or inappropriate civics, making it very hard or impossible for the IMF civ to vassalize state property civs, and vice versa. then all of a sudden it would really matter whether this or that minor civ went left or right. (would the AI actually realize it and go for its own vassals? I know the AI responds to the space race.) you could differentiate them by having one allow more land area to be counted and the other more population.

the Non-Aligned Movement would be a national wonder which would grant immunity to peaceful vassalization. every time one of these is built, the civ that built the first one would get a diplomatic plus equal to the number that have been built, so the more prevalent the movement becomes, the popular the originator becomes. eventually the diplomatic victory will be automatic. the diplomatic bonus would have to be slight, less than 1 point probably, at first so it doesn't snowball too quickly.

Top Bottom