Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Yes.

Everyone can see the history. But TF just turned-off the feature.

I remember pretty surely how just after I tested if I could see one of my post's history, I tried to click someone else's post above, that had been edited, and the "last edited by" text was not a link. I looked especially to see that.

I believe I'm already the third in this thread to say this, so are you sure it was really for everyone? I highly doubt that since I checked for that on purpose.

Of course it might have been some kind of a bug, but it's not the kind of bug that I see often. :)

unless vbulletin changed it in 3.8 this feature was set by default (in 3.7) to show edit history to everyone who has permissions to edit the post in question (on this site that is only moderators/admins and the poster).
They do however save all the previous copies of a post not just the changes - which can be quite a drag on storage space.
edit:actually searching for this I only find an unsupported hack which would allow all users to see it - so I am quite sure it is not shown to all users.

I saw a post by Ginger Ale, and am curious: what does being an editor entail?

I focus mostly on non-moderation site issues: so, rather than deal with a lot of reported posts and infractions, I handle things like news postings, creating/updating content, fixing broken links, etc. Essentially, content on the main site, as opposed to the forums.

A lot of what I do is focused on the long-term and aimed at users who come to this site for information more than discussion.

TF has been good about letting me be flexible. ;)

Now this is not really a frequently-asked-question but it really doesn't warrant its own thread:

Why is the forum screwing with my head recently? Perhaps it has screwed with your heads, too.

There was that OT poll recently that teleported anyone who voted to a seven-year-old thread in Civ 3 C&C, and then that thread in the Alpha Centauri forum that doesn't seem to know how many posts it has, and now I notice that CFC user 'Chronic' has changed his name to 'Theige', but in the #fiftychat social group, if you look at the discussion called 'New Discussion' (which he started) under the 'Created' column on the main page, he's called 'theage'.

Could someone explain this to me 'cause I think I am going mad :run:

Now this is not really a frequently-asked-question but it really doesn't warrant its own thread:

Why is the forum screwing with my head recently? Perhaps it has screwed with your heads, too.
You are not the only one, that's for sure. :)

There was that OT poll recently that teleported anyone who voted to a seven-year-old thread in Civ 3 C&C,
It's due to a bug in the software. Somehow two threads had same pollid value and user who voted get redirected to the thread with threadid = pollid. This one is fixed.
and then that thread in the Alpha Centauri forum that doesn't seem to know how many posts it has,
Post or views? For some info, the forum doesn't update immediately but hourly or every 15 minutes, depending on the info.

and now I notice that CFC user 'Chronic' has changed his name to 'Theige', but in the #fiftychat social group, if you look at the discussion called 'New Discussion' (which he started) under the 'Created' column on the main page, he's called 'theage'.
Could be a bug, or I may need to update the thread info for all threads...

There was that OT poll recently that teleported anyone who voted to a seven-year-old thread in Civ 3 C&C

Which thread? I looked at the polls and didn't see any comments although it could have been deleted by mods.

You are not the only one, that's for sure. :)

:lol: Good to know.

Post or views? For some info, the forum doesn't update immediately but hourly or every 15 minutes, depending on the info.

Which thread? I looked at the polls and didn't see any comments although it could have been deleted by mods.

It was this thread, but as TF said, it's been fixed now. This was the thread it took you to when you voted.

If a poster were to abuse his position as a mod by deleting the posts of someone he hates, and issued death threats against that person after looking up the personal info of that person in the database, what would the other mods and admins likely do to that person?

If a poster were to abuse his position as a mod by deleting the posts of someone he hates, and issued death threats against that person after looking up the personal info of that person in the database, what would the other mods and admins likely do to that person?
Stop bringing your Poly-specific issues over at this place.

Moderator Action: Please don't mention names. Removed.

You already know the answer, Krill. If confirmed to be true, obviously the poster can no longer be a moderator here.

Is there something to editing your signature other than what's in the My Account page? Does it need approval or something or does it just wait a while to update?

Edit: Sorry, Nevermind. It appears your new signature doesn't apply retroactively to old posts, that's the thing I hadn't figured out.

There seems to be a problem with the UserCP subscription thingy.
I go to usercp - and i see a new post in a subscirbed thread. I read the new post and then click on UserCp to go back. The usercp page shows me the same post as being unread. This goes away by itself after 1 min or so.

Of course this is no big deal, i'm just curious why this is happenening now and why it never happened ever since i started coming here.

Also, am i the only one with this problem ?

Your browser might be loading a cached page. But no, I haven't experienced this problem.
It might be but i did not change anything in the settings for months. :confused:
Im using opera btw.

Silly question...you're not hitting the 'back' button, are you?

Edit: You might want to try clearing your cache, see if that clears it up.

Top Bottom