1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Fresh Water City

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Sweetchuck, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Sweetchuck

Sweetchuck King

If you build a city on a river or on a freshwater lake, you don't need to build an aquaduct to increase pop over 6.

Here's my question, in a game I'm in, the Iroquois built a city on a river and I (aggressively) popped a city right next to them - 1 tile away. My culture is greater than theirs so I control that tile that is right up against their city where they would dump their waste theoretically, so do they get the river tile bonus that allows them to grow beyond 6? They're right at 6 though that population fluctuates for some reason, but it hasn't grown beyond 6.

2. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

Yes they get all their bonuses, no matter what tiles you control. The population fluctuations may be due to pop-rushing, so don't raze that city, or you'll get the whip unhappiness.

3. Sweetchuck

Sweetchuck King

Whoa - "whip" unhappiness? I'm not familiar with that term.

Thanks for the reply also. Does the AI POP rush? I didn't realize that. I just figured they were busting conscripts, but I guess that makes sense in terms of not technically POP rushing by inflating the city populace with workers to gain more shields to build something but by nailing population to rush stuff based on the government.

The AI irrigates everything, so true POP rushing would be marginal.

As far as razing the city, the Iroquois hasn't DOW'd me yet, but since I'm ahead of them in culture, that might be a chance soon I think, and I'll raze that city in a New York Minute once it comes to it. I don't doubt that I have less units in my city than they do.

4. Optional

Optional Deity

If something gets rushed in a town by sacraficing a citizen you get a happiness penalty in that town. If you would raze that town the unhappiness gets transferred to your nearest town.
    I think the AI only rushes a defender every now and then when at war. And pop rushing is of course only possible in Despotism, Feudalism and Communism (Fascism as well? Too lazy to check). So make your own guess whether Hiawatha has done any pop rushing in that specific town.

5. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

There's no pop-rush unhappiness if you raze the city, but if you capture it there will be. If you abandon it after you capture it, the pop-rush unhappiness is transferred to another of your cities.