1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Friend, I have a serious matter to discuss...

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by happyturtle, May 3, 2014.

1. happyturtle

happyturtle Mrs GrumpyOldCivver

Civ A: Friend, I have a serious matter to discuss. I need you to denounce Civ B. :shifty:
    Me: *has good reasons not to antagonize Civ B* Sorry, no. :shake:
    Civ A: WARRRRRR!!!! :mad:

What... the... Eff....? If Civ B is the problem, why DoW me? Why not DoW them? And what about every other nation in the world that hasn't denounced Civ B? How did I become the enemy over this?

Does anyone know the thinking behind this? Is it always war if you say no? It always has been in my experience. I really hate this particular encounter.

2. Loucypher

Loucypher King

It's not always war, it usually is a denouncement. Basically, I agree to the denouncing of Civ B if that civ I don't have a DOF with, if I do, then A can suck it. This is why you gotta be careful who you ally yourself with.

3. Feurisson

Feurisson Chieftain

I've never been asked to denounce. Is that a mod or am I missing something else?

4. Halcyan2

Halcyan2 Emperor

Yeah, usually if you refuse, your Friend ends up denouncing you.

However, that is not always the case. Sometimes (especially if you have good enough relations), he doesn't do anything to you after you decline to denounce.

5. householder

householder Lord of the Fleas

Whenever I have gotten the request/demand that I denounce another civ, it is because I have already seriously angered the civ who is making the request. Although we are united by a declaration of friendship, my "partner" no longer wants part of it. He is demanding a sacrifice to maintain our friendship.

I am not sure if I have had a DOF civ declare war on me after I refused to denounce another civ. However, I have had the DOF civ denounce me, if I have refused the demand to denounce another civ.

6. happyturtle

No, not a mod, though it's not very common. I don't know what the game triggers are for the event.

Every time I've had the request and said no, the Civ that asks DoW's me right then and there.

7. lokithepunishr

lokithepunishr Warlord

It only happens on immortal and diety from what I've seen, or maybe the AI is just less d-baggy on the other difficulties

8. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

It happens on lower difficulties.

The thing with that is that it's an ultimatum and one sid esimply choses to get your butt off the fence and choose a side

Usually happens when you somehow ended up keeping up friends with say Zulu or the Greece, and Greece says "It's either ME or HIM buddy, choose".

If you denounce Zulu you backstab Zulu, and if you refuse to denounce Zulu then Greece stabs you ni the back.. so I guess just refuse unless you have a good reason to denounce Zulu.

9. happyturtle

I'm a King player, and my husband has seen it on Warlord.

I think it's a broken mechanic, because even if you do what Civ A asks of you, it doesn't give you any positive diplo modifier. I've had Civ A denounce me a few turns after I supposedly picked a side by denouncing B at their request. I don't like it.

10. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

I just got a little too friendly with Attila and Brazil came up and asked me. I said no and got denounced because I needed Attila on my side. Shortly there after I was at war with 3 people, but not Attila.

11. vivalamexico

vivalamexico Prince

I literally had this happen 5 times in my last game. Although it was in the idealogy-war era, and everyone (large size) was at war with at least three other civs, so maybe I shouldnt be surprised. Still, the world was a collective love-fest before the Modern Era (with the exception of Dido), so it was quite strange to suddenly have everyone asking me to denounce everyone else. It ruined all my friendships, and put an end to any possibility of RA's.

12. Halcyan2

Halcyan2 Emperor

Hmmm, I wonder how often AI's ask this. And if this might be responsible for AI's commonly backstabbing a DoF partner with a denouncement (on behalf of another DoF partner).

13. Feurisson

Feurisson Chieftain

It's weird, I have played for three hundred hours on various difficulties with almost everyone showing up in one of them, and yet the only thing similar to that that I've been asked to do is "not get too close to" the other AI player.

14. RegentMan

RegentMan Deity

Ha, you and me both. I've never seen this option either, in 435 hours played. Something I'll have to look forward to...

15. danaphanous

danaphanous religious fanatic

It's happened to me 3 times in about 200 hours of play. Probably just really rare then. I've never gotten a DOW but twice gotten denounced when I refused. The 3rd time I wised up and just did it.

16. GoStu

GoStu King

I think the triggers are when you've somehow befriended two mortal enemies. There's probably other nuances where they have to be willing to backstab you, but but not be quite ready to attack the other guy, etc.

17. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

Getting a dow after getting asked to denounce someone else sounds familiar, but I don't remember happening to me. I have denounced someone else, however, when i was asked to and didn't get a Dow though.

18. Snipes

Snipes Chieftain

I have about 750 hours played and can't recall ever being asked to denounce by another civ.

19. Mutineer

Mutineer Deity

Civ A: Friend, I have a serious matter to discuss. <I need you to denounce Civ B. >

That sentence with demand after mean that you back stubbed this civ and it give you last chance to make amends. Most likely you broke word not to settle or something like that.

Other reasons could be like demand tribute or declare was on protected city state. In any case it is last chance before consequences.

20. happyturtle

Not true. I keep track of what promises I've made, and who I've backstabbed. The times I've gotten the "serious matter" message haven't been related to that.

It's possible I had another diplo minus, such as becoming friends with a City-State or finishing a Wonder that they wanted, but you can't promise not to do those things.