1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Friend, I have a serious matter to discuss...

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by happyturtle, May 3, 2014.

1. NASAROG

NASAROG Prince

I do two things to improve my games:

1. I turn off espionage.

2. I play an isolationist ready to go to war over the tinniest of slights.

But yea, it's a problem.

2. Primacide

Primacide Settler

How come no one ever comes to ask, "Friend, I need you to DoF with so-and-so."

Well, okay then.

3. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

Ais eventually ask for a dof when times are peaceful and trade is good between you and the ai.

4. Feurisson

Feurisson Chieftain

They do? I've never refused a demand, so I don't know. I thought you'd just get some unfriendliness as the result?

5. Typhlomence

Typhlomence Magical Tomomo

Yeah I was a bit puzzled when this happened to me in a recent game. One of the mod civs I was playing with asked me to denounce America, and I didn't want to, so I said no - and they ended up denouncing me instead.

It was one of the reasons that I ended up going to war against them later in that game. :p

6. George Abitbol

George Abitbol Prince

This happens at least once in my games. Most of the time, as said before, they'll denouce me if I don't request the AI, BUT (in rare cases) the AI just may say something like "I'm disappointed" and doesn't denouce me. I think it happens if I'm a very good friend (all diplo indicators are green).

7. seanflokstra7

seanflokstra7 Prince

Playing as England, domination on Europe map. Bismarck apparently hates Napoleon.

Hey Lizzy, my relations with Napo aren't that good anymore. Could you betray the much stronger guy for the weak guy with a small army?

Naah, he's my friend. Are you okay with it?

Burn in hell, tea drinking idiot.

After that, France and I destroyed Austria, crushed the small German army, took down Denmark, and I killed Spain on my own. Spain conquered Marseille, which was right next to Paris. I took Marseille, kept it, called it New Nottingham, and stationed my units in it. After that, it was a straight march to Paris.

8. seanflokstra7

seanflokstra7 Prince

By the way, am I the only one that always renames cities when I conquer them? Sometimes I call them cities which should appear later on in my city list, or I modify it to the location(Silk Town), or I just put New in front of the city name(New Carthage)

9. Feurisson

Feurisson Chieftain

I guess I could do that, too, but I usually leave them as a puppet. Also, "New Carthage" is actually on the city list of Carthage.

10. Halcyan2

Halcyan2 Emperor

New Carthage = Carthago Nova = Cartagena.

11. sendos

sendos Immortal

I've had this issue before but I've never been DoW'ed for refusing the favour. OP, are you sure Civ A actually DoW'ed you after you said no to denouncing civ B for civ A? Sometimes, Civ A reluctantly accepts your "no" answer and doesn't denounce you. The mechanic is fair as it is designed to put you on the spot, especially if you have been playing a largely peaceful game. It can also be a part of karma for trying to bribe other civs to attack each other. A real life example of this mechanic might be ousted former Ukranian President Yankovich with the dilemma of trade agreements with EU or join Russia's customs union.

For this feature, there is no fixed guide, other than geopolitics: don't denounce powerful neighbours, maintain relations with those close to you, be discrete, etc etc.

12. seanflokstra7

seanflokstra7 Prince

Well, I also do New Rome, New London, New Amsterdam, New York

13. happyturtle

happyturtle Mrs GrumpyOldCivver

Yes. It isn't always war - sometimes Civ A denounces me. But it's always either war or denunciation that I've experienced.

14. beetle

beetle Deity

I have experienced all three effects from declining the request, the DoW most recently. I had a DoF going with both Civ A and B. It was kind of funny because the DoW got Civ A the backstabber diplo hit. Civ A had forward settled on me early on, and was weak, so for me, no real downside (which is a nice change).

15. Halcyan2

Halcyan2 Emperor

?

New Rome = Constantinople.

New Amsterdam = New York.

;)

16. b7fanatix

b7fanatix Warlord

I'd like to see this "demand" screen more often, in fact i've never encountered it in CiV 5, which is a pity. If it exists, it appears the AI greatly prefers the surprise attack/backstab attack option, to the extent that it is no longer a surprise.

Imagine the tension of being extorted though! Is he bluffing? If I give what he asks for , will he DoW anyway?

17. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

I denounced the Dutch at the request of the Byzantines and the Byzantines still hated me.

18. Primacide

Primacide Settler

Along these lines, I recently had a civ that I reduced to one meager city try to steal a tech. He got caught. Now, this civ is no longer a threat and I'm trying to keep things friendly, or at least not on the level of denouncing. When this fellow comes to me next turn to apologize for trying to steal tech, I click the "I forgive you option." I figure this will at least prevent a negative hit, if not build relations, right? Wrong. Next turn, denouncement. I said screw it and took his last city.

19. beetle

beetle Deity

Is there a way to ask (or even bribe) one civ to denounce another? I could not find the option. I know that plenty of the diplomacy screens are one-sided. Is the denounce request one more of those?

20. happyturtle

happyturtle Mrs GrumpyOldCivver

Sadly, no. I know there are diplomacy mods, but I'm not sure if this option has been incorporated in any of them.