1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Friendlier Alien Relations / Alternate Emitter Function

Discussion in 'CivBE - Ideas and Suggestions' started by legalizefreedom, Apr 4, 2015.

1. legalizefreedom

legalizefreedom Inefficiency Expert

We need the ability to share tiles with friendly aliens and/or have the emitter change function when they go blue.

What I've seen happen with friendly aliens is they prevent your workers from improving around the city, so you build the fence, then they can permanently prevent you from improving the 3rd ring (if you took the trade route protection) because they run out of hexes to occupy. Once they are packed between the fence and the coast, they are there for good. You should at least be able to move civilian units onto hexes occupied by friendly aliens.

Another potentially more attractive option is have the emitter disperse them (similar to the fence) once they are blue instead of damaging them, even if it takes a couple of turns and even if you have to pick one alien at a time to "yell" at. This will be another reason to have the emitter on the tech web and buildable.

2. Gritf

Gritf Chieftain

You might send a marine to the tile you want to improve, make him fortify while your worker improves the tile beneath him.

About the ultrasonic emitter unit I agree, those aren't very useful with their low speed and 0 attack power.

3. legalizefreedom

legalizefreedom Inefficiency Expert

This suggestion is about games where the aliens are friendly, but still prevent you from moving around or improving tiles because they are occupying them and none of your units can share the tile.

After more thought, this probably just looks like the emitter unit getting regular commands to execute. The regular attack command could perform its current function while a "Repulse" command could move them out of your way by some method.

A couple of methods that come to mind are:

1. Picking an individual alien to repulse/move/warp and the game would handle it like it does for newly built fences

2. Make the aliens move away from the emitter on their next turn. This faces a problem when they have nowhere to go. So maybe the last alien in range (that hits the wall of aliens that are not in range) is the only one that gets warped.

Either way this unit should be made to be useful in all games with all playstyles. Even if it doesn't damage the alien's opinion (which is the most important unknown factor) it is against the motivations of a player who is friendly to aliens to kill them off, even by this humane method.

4. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

When I plan to go friendly with the alien wildlife, I choose the option to extend the range of my fences when it pops up.
    Besides, I noticed that when I place a unit near a 'wall' of alien bugs, they tend to offer me a tile to go forward. As long as it isn't too close to their nest that is.