Friendly campers

apparition

Warlord
I have a problem in that I have too many friends. On 5the one hand it's good because I'm a builder and not ready for war yet.

My problem though is how best to stop the friendly civ tramping all through my land. I'm sure there are ways better than what I do so I'm asking what everyone else does.

If the land on the other side is empty, then you need to settle it. Otherwise, just blockade them and lure them into cells, so that they sap unit support while doing nothing.

I usually don't mind them using my land. I trade ROP for something usefull. But sometimes if I don't want them on the other side, fi to settle on the other side, or reinforcing a city that I plan to conquer. I find this only doable if there is some chokepoint, otherwise you yourself need too much units.

I two civs are at war I usually let the strongest walk across my country. This way their war will cause most losses on both sides, or at least cripple their growth. You also get a good understanding of their number and strength of units. I think the AI usually sends as much units as it can spare.

Now if the go to war with you anyway, they get a serious rep hit, and have all these units spreadout in your territory. You can easily mob them up.

M.

For some weird reason, I find that the A.I. often wants to wander through your territory en route to other wars, but doesn't want a right-of-passage agreement. It's not so bad when they have ROP, but when they don't they clog up your roads and rails and slow your movement down to an annoying degree. Once I have enough troops, I like to find the narrowest point in my kingdom (assuming I have two coasts) and form a line of troops across it. Once that's there, nobody enters your land, except to attack.

However, there are advantages to allowing people to attack through your land. Often new resources become available as cities are destroyed. It's also easy to culture-flip newly conquered cities on your borders. One of the biggest problems with the A.I., I think, is its insistence on fighting pointless wars halfway across the world.

magritte said:
One of the biggest problems with the A.I., I think, is its insistence on fighting pointless wars halfway across the world.

I'll second that! I've recently been helping someone playtest changes to a mod, and so we've been playing in DEBUG mode, where you can see all the AI movements. It's quite comical to see them load up a single archer in a boat, and sail it 10 turns across the map, just to land that one unit and walk up to my (non-coastal) city and declare war? :eek: I've had civs declare war that couldn't reach me in 50 turns of marching (no horsemen yet), and then pay me for peace before their forces are half-way to my territory. There should be some type of double-check that tells them how quickly they could get x number of forces (or percent of their army) to a city of yours, and if they can't do it within 10 turns or so, then it stops them from declaring war.

I have to admit to exploiting that some times. Start a war with someone on the other end of the map, wait a number of turns and screw them on a peace treaty. It's a good way to get an easy beach head by getting a city in the terms :)

If your military is stronger then the AI are less likey to tresspass, if they do however its always useful for starting a war with them

If they start a war, it's a GREAT source for slaves when you kill their settler

Top Bottom